Wonder of the Seas UDP: Specialty Restaurant Reservations Needed for Two People?

LEMJMcC

We've eaten at a couple of specialty joints on past cruises, but it's been a while and I can't remember if we made reservations or just walked up - we did NOT have the UDP.  For a seven night cruise on Wonder with the UDP, are reservations required for places like Wonderland, Izumi, Park Cafe, 150 Central Park, Hooked, etc. or would two people be able to walk up and wait a reasonable time to be seated?

On one hand I like planning ahead so as to avoid wasting time waiting on a table, but on the other hand I like the flexibility to just show up whenever the stomach prompts...

Thanks.

No you will need to make your reservations once you board. Pick any restaurant and the manager on duty can make all your reservations except for ships with Izumi and Hibachi. You may need to make those reservations at the restaurant.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

No you will need to make your reservations once you board. Pick any restaurant and the manager on duty can make all your reservations except for ships with Izumi and Hibachi. You may need to make those reservations at the restaurant.

Does the same apply for lunch on Sea Days?

• Like 1

Just now, LEMJMcC said:

Does the same apply for lunch on Sea Days?

Yes go ahead and make all your reservations on Day 1 when you board. Now that's not too say if a restaurant has an opening they could accommodate you but you never know how many people bought the UDP or people bought that particular restaurant on any even night.

• Thanks 1

I am on the WOTS 10/20/22 cruise.  For some reason the 3 Specialty Dinner package is no longer available.  Customer Service is no help.  They have no information as to why or what other alternative might be available.  Makes no sense.  I  booked Chops on Day 2 but could not book the Chops +1 package to start on Day 2.  Either way I would be at the exact same restaurant eating the same food except I would have the chance to go to a second restaurant another day.  No sense at all.

1 hour ago, popepete said:

I am on the WOTS 10/20/22 cruise.  For some reason the 3 Specialty Dinner package is no longer available.  Customer Service is no help.  They have no information as to why or what other alternative might be available.  Makes no sense.  I  booked Chops on Day 2 but could not book the Chops +1 package to start on Day 2.  Either way I would be at the exact same restaurant eating the same food except I would have the chance to go to a second restaurant another day.  No sense at all.

I have 3 cruises booked on Wonder in the next four months. Right now there are no dining packages available on any of these cruises. My guess is with Wonder being new they are having no issues selling individual speciality restaurant reservations so they don’t need to offer package deals at this time. 

For those who have done the UDP, what's the best strategy to get the restaurants you want on the days you want at the times you want? 

I thought about making a schedule ahead of time that my wife & I could fill in with our first and second restaurant choices for the days & times we want and have that ready to hand to one of the hosts/hostesses at one of the specialty restaurants on embarkation day.

What times tend to be the most popular for specialty dining in the evening?  I'm thinking 7:30-ish...

Thanks.

We were on the Wonder in April with 5300 other passengers, so pretty full and went to 4 specialty restaurants...made reservations when we got onboard day 1...had a 7.30 or 8pm reservation...every restaurant was only about 50%-60% full...I would think you should get in quite easily.

3 hours ago, LEMJMcC said:

For those who have done the UDP, what's the best strategy to get the restaurants you want on the days you want at the times you want? 

I thought about making a schedule ahead of time that my wife & I could fill in with our first and second restaurant choices for the days & times we want and have that ready to hand to one of the hosts/hostesses at one of the specialty restaurants on embarkation day.

What times tend to be the most popular for specialty dining in the evening?  I'm thinking 7:30-ish...

Thanks.

I do the chart and then get the show schedule as soon as I board.  I find it faster and easier to reserve dinners on the app rather than dealing with a human.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2022 at 6:53 AM, LEMJMcC said:

Thanks.

The best strategy is to hit early or to hit late. The rush hour appears to be around 7; so, 530 and 845 reservations are the easiest to come by.

Book first formal night dining first out of everything else.

Book latter half of the cruise next (Remember, as you're doing this, others are doing the same).

Book the lobster formal night last - that one is going to be the easiest to get 🙂

11 hours ago, Rysyonok said:

The best strategy is to hit early or to hit late. The rush hour appears to be around 7; so, 530 and 845 reservations are the easiest to come by.

Book first formal night dining first out of everything else.

Book latter half of the cruise next (Remember, as you're doing this, others are doing the same).

Book the lobster formal night last - that one is going to be the easiest to get 🙂

Thanks.  How do I know what night is formal night on a 7-night cruise on Wonder of the Seas?

On 10/13/2022 at 6:09 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have 3 cruises booked on Wonder in the next four months. Right now there are no dining packages available on any of these cruises. My guess is with Wonder being new they are having no issues selling individual speciality restaurant reservations so they don’t need to offer package deals at this time. 

We're on the Wonder in April and we've purchased the full UDP already.  Are you saying it won't be honored?

42 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

We're on the Wonder in April and we've purchased the full UDP already.  Are you saying it won't be honored?

No, it should be honored. I was just saying on my upcoming cruises on Wonder the UDP has not been available for purchase. The cruises are over holidays (Christmas, New Years, Valentines Day) so that might be the reason why I haven’t seen UDP for sale. 

1 minute ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

No, it should be honored. I was just saying on my upcoming cruises on Wonder the UDP has not been available for purchase. The cruises are over holidays (Christmas, New Years, Valentines Day) so that might be the reason why I haven’t seen UDP for sale. 

It's because you are going to pay much more  then the regular prices. So they really couldn't come up with a UDP price that would be attractive enough to post. So everyone on those sailing will just book one at a time at a high price.

40 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

No, just that additional packages are not being sold at this time. You are good. If you have your heart set on a certain time or restaurant for a certain day you should head to a restaurant once onboard and have them help you. My advice would be to not go to the restaurant that is open that day for lunch because they will be busy. 

My experience with UDP is that it varies tremendously from one ship and sailing to another. It was clearly undersold on my most recent cruise, which was a not purposefully half-occupied ship. There were several times we were the only table occupied in the restaurant, which is kind of weird. On the other extreme, I've had the UDP and every table was occupied and we had to be flexible with times.

My other tip with this is to go easy on the food choices. You may burn yourself out on indulging. You don't have to order everything you are allowed to order, and the servers are always pushing more. 

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

It's because you are going to pay much more  then the regular prices. So they really couldn't come up with a UDP price that would be attractive enough to post. So everyone on those sailing will just book one at a time at a high price.

No doubt that is the case. Several of the speciality restaurants are $99 per person for one night on or around the applicable holiday. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

My other tip with this is to go easy on the food choices. You may burn yourself out on indulging. You don't have to order everything you are allowed to order, and the servers are always pushing more. 

What!, no gluttony?   

Kidding, I appreciate that advice as I do have a tendency to want to try many things.  I wish they offered a sampler platter of some sort.

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

No doubt that is the case. Several of the speciality restaurants are $99 per person for one night on or around the applicable holiday. 

That is one of the reasons we  chose not to ever cruise during any holidays, even though I know some people that is the only time they can cruise. Air prices, hotel prices are also higher at that time.

Edited by Jimbo

2 hours ago, LEMJMcC said:

Thanks.  How do I know what night is formal night on a 7-night cruise on Wonder of the Seas?

2nd and 2nd to last on a 7-nighter. On longer journeys, look for a day in the middle when your Royal app shows lunch availability for specialty restaurants even if the ship is in port.

2 hours ago, LEMJMcC said:

We were on the Wonder in April and didn't notice any formal night...most people were just smart casual each night.

3 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

No, just that additional packages are not being sold at this time. You are good. If you have your heart set on a certain time or restaurant for a certain day you should head to a restaurant once onboard and have them help you.

In the past we've hit the kiosk/table set up on the Promenade when we board. I typically do a spreadsheet with 1st and second choices.  DW likes toe at early so that works in our favor often.

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, chiguypaul said:

@crewsweeper, you had UDP and were allowed to make reservations on the Royal app once on board? I didn't know that was possible. Can you please confirm. Thanks.

We made reservations upon boarding.   We were able to change a couple during the cruise as situations changed.