Need help/advice - 11 year old has chicken pox, cruise leaves tomorrow.

da1425

On 10/14/2022 at 12:33 PM, da1425 said:

Sorry if I'm being dramatic, but we are scheduled to board tomorrow.  My 11 year old son has come down with chicken pox - bumps started yesterday.

We're going to the doctor today to confirm it is chicken pox and not hives or swimmers itch, but I'm pretty sure it's chicken pox.  He has been vaccinated but I guess there are breakthrough infections.

What do I do?  Who do I contact?  Am I going to lose my cruise fare cancelling the day before the cruise departs?  Our whole family is broken up about this as we now need to find a hotel to stay at for a week and hopefully the little guy can fly home next Saturday.

Any advice would be appreciated.  If someone has a number to contact NCL that would be great.

Thanks.

This is a "sitting on the edge of my seat" story...

What's the outcome??

Chicken Pox or not??

• Like 2

A person with chickenpox is considered contagious beginning 1 to 2 days before rash onset until all the chickenpox lesions have crusted (scabbed). Vaccinated people who get chickenpox may develop lesions that do not crust. These people are considered contagious until no new lesions have appeared for 24 hours.

FWIW I've had 5 total MMR vaccinations, 3 as an infant/child and 2 as an adult. I'm still not immune to measles. There's folks like me out there who are at risk of catching all sorts of things from the rest of you based on our various immune system deficiencies.

I don't think the OP had any intention of going on the trip if it truly was a varicella diagnosis, but for folks suggesting it would be ok if they did... wow. I hope I never cruise with you in the future. You're probably the same person who sat behind me on the excursions coughing their brains out that gave me Covid last trip.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

FWIW I've had 5 total MMR vaccinations, 3 as an infant/child and 2 as an adult. I'm still not immune to measles. There's folks like me out there who are at risk of catching all sorts of things from the rest of you based on our various immune system deficiencies.

I don't think the OP had any intention of going on the trip if it truly was a varicella diagnosis, but for folks suggesting it would be ok if they did... wow. I hope I never cruise with you in the future. You're probably the same person who sat behind me on the excursions coughing their brains out that gave me Covid last trip.

Nobody here suggested it’s ok to travel with chicken pox. The OP made it clear she would not. She was just a panicked mom reaching out for help until this thread got nasty. I reported one vile comment.

31 minutes ago, GreenFamily said:

Nobody here suggested it’s ok to travel with chicken pox. The OP made it clear she would not. She was just a panicked mom reaching out for help until this thread got nasty. I reported one vile comment.

Actually wrong.   One person suggested just giving the child some Benadryl and everything would be just fine.  

Although, it required that person to downgrade the diagnosis from chicken pox to an ordinary allergy rash.  So that was nice of them.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

Actually wrong.   One person suggested just giving the child some Benadryl and everything would be just fine.  

Although, it required that person to downgrade the diagnosis from chicken pox to an ordinary allergy rash.  So that was nice of them.   

To be fair, the OP stated that she was going to the doctor later today, so that means the diagnosis has not yet been confirmed.  If the child has chicken pox that is still contagious, they will need to cancel (and hopefully they have trip insurance or are in a financial position in which  self-insuring is a reasonable choice).  That poster's comment was that allergies can sometimes look like chicken pox and chicken pox doesn't necessarily look like chicken pox in a vaccinated kid, which makes this hard to determine sometimes.  My son's daycare had a chicken pox outbreak while I was pregnant with my last child.  My son had a rash (not pox) and the doctors panicked because they were worried he might have chicken pox even without pox (which apparently can happen in vaccinated children, and you'd never know unless your kid was attending a daycare under quarantine).  Fortunately my baby was an IVF baby, and they had my bloodwork done right before I started IVF, which showed my immunity to chicken pox was high enough that I was okay.  But the baby wound up in the NICU, which debated whether to isolate her.  So there are serious potential consequences to chicken pox, but the important thing for the OP is to go to the doctor and get a diagnosis (which hopefully happened yesterday, but since people were so mean I can understand they might not come back).  If you do read this, best of luck to you.

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 2

On 10/16/2022 at 3:47 PM, Sailing12Away said:

You're probably the same person who sat behind me on the excursions coughing their brains out that gave me Covid last trip.

Someone coughing is not an indication of being ill.  Sit next to me after I have a carbonated beverage and while I'm drinking it and listen to me sound like I'll be providing lung for the meal.  I'm not sick, it just does something to me...

4 hours ago, hallux said:

Someone coughing is not an indication of being ill.  Sit next to me after I have a carbonated beverage and while I'm drinking it and listen to me sound like I'll be providing lung for the meal.  I'm not sick, it just does something to me...

Tell me about it.....I have a chronic dry cough due to Lisinopril medication. I've had it for years. I could clear a room when I get an episode that can last 10 minutes or so... especially during Covid. I always cough into a tissue but I don't think that is any consolation to those around me. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, uneamie said:

Tell me about it.....I have a chronic dry cough due to Lisinopril medication. I've had it for years. I could clear a room when I get an episode that can last 10 minutes or so... especially during Covid. I always cough into a tissue but I don't think that is any consolation to those around me. 

I too was taking something a few years ago that caused a chronic cough.  Had to stop taking it but up until then I never realized there were meds that can cause that.  Also, two of my kids had asthma growing up and I would get the stink eye from other parents who did not understand that my kid's cough was caused by asthma rather than something contagious. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, uneamie said:

I'm not exactly a doctor, so take this for what it is - a random thought from a random person on the internet. 🙂

I had the same thing! My doctor took me off Lisinopril and put me on Losartan. After a month, the cough went away!!! It's so much better than experiencing that dry, hacking cough that is absolutely ridiculous. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm not exactly a doctor, so take this for what it is - a random thought from a random person on the internet. 🙂

I had the same thing! My doctor took me off Lisinopril and put me on Losartan. After a month, the cough went away!!! It's so much better than experiencing that dry, hacking cough that is absolutely ridiculous. 

Thank you for that tip. I never heard of Losartan. I will ask my doctor if they can switch me. I don't take if for blood pressure. I take it to protect my kidneys from diabetes and metformin so I guess I have to ask if Losartan will do the same. Thanks again! 

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

10 minutes ago, uneamie said:

Thank you for that tip. I never heard of Losartan. I will ask my doctor if they can switch me. I don't take if for blood pressure. I take it to protect my kidneys from diabetes and metformin so I guess I have to ask if Losartan will do the same. Thanks again! 

I'm in the same boat as you uneamie. I got off Lisonopril, not because of the coughing, although I had that, but because of an allergic reaction I had to it. So dr. put me on Losartan. I also have diabetes and take metformin. I like the Losartan much better. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, uneamie said:

I also had reaction to Lisinopril years ago and now take Losartan for BP and kidney issue. Kidneys have stabilized for a couple of years now. 

Lisinopril is an ACE drug and that cough is associated with all ACE drugs.   Losartan is an ARB and has no cough as side effect.   Very effective for BP management with added benefit of sparing kidneys.   

• Like 1