Discovery - Prem Dlx Aft or MiniSuite with the Extended Angled Deck

Griff4AU

I promise I've searched, but I didn't find anything in the 1st 3 pages and I grew impatient. I figure someone here has the quick answer.

It's been 8 years since I have been on a Princess ship, but I am Platinum so I have been on a few of the ships but this will be my first Royal Class ship.

Sailing with 2 first timers and I am debating an Aft facing Prem Dlx (always used to be my favorite) or a Mini with an Extended Angle. 

A Prem Dlx R734 (for example) shows 312 SqFt and R409 (mini with the Ext Angle deck) shows 319. There's a $900ish difference between the 2, which I certainly don't mind spending but I am not sure I get more because of it. 

I am sure the wisdom here on CC has been on both... if the SqFt is about the same, how much of that is balcony vs deck?  With newbies (one being a 10yo), I am just not sure how much deck time we'd spend and would we enjoy more room in the cabin.

Thanks in advance, 

Griff

The bigger questions are "do you want the room divided in half? Is having a bathtub important?" If the answer to those are YES then book the mini-suite.  Personally, as a clautrophobic solo, I'll take the DB and skip the partial room divider and tub. 

• Like 1

For the mini, deck plan on cruisedeckplans.com says cabin is 243 sf, balcony 36 sf.

The aft cabin is listed as 185 sf, still says balcony is 36, but obviously it is larger.  I think for three I would choose the cabin with more interior space.  EM

To me it's a no brainer - go aft. But that's because I love aft facing cabins, and those aft balconies on 14 (R) on Discovery are very large, lots of room to spread out on the balcony. Not sure how they fare with 3 people in them, I do believe that when the couch is out in bed mode you have to climb over it to get out the door to the balcony. But I can (and do) spend hours enjoying the aft view.

• Like 1

Griff,

Our last cruise was in R-732 on the Discovery. A DD identical to 734.   The cabin was very roomy roomy and the balcony was spacious.  Great view of the wake.  But it had no shade when the sun was high in the sky.

Rick

image.thumb.jpeg.27d2edb7a555cde1857d3d3560ae0a10.jpegan

• Like 1

You should be aware that those extended balconies on the those upper decks will be situated just under the SeaWalk.   I am not sure if the SeaWalk is an issue on either or both sides of the Discovery,  But, it will be above you,  and also might affect the privacy of those cabins.   Look at those photos of the balcony above, and that R409 would be a large balcony,  but imagine the forward end of the SeaWalk just above you there.

Also note that those AFT wake view balconies can be larger on some decks than others.  Riviera is very spacious.

To many, that wake view is the big factor.

To many the larger balcony might be a factor.

And to others, the larger cabin with the larger bath and tub might be a factor.

First world decisions!!!!  : )

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

First world decisions!!!!  : )

No doubt, 

Thank you all for the responses. If it was me +1 or if I was with cruise veterans, there's be no question we'd take the aft view Prem Dlx D4 and I would spend hours out there. With 2 newbies (and one being 10) I might be better off with the larger cabin. Absolutely why I haven't considered the postage stamp cabins I remember from RCL. 

Unfortunately they looked at the NCL Joy which is definitely more "kid appealing" and it's difficult to convince newbies that "attention to detail, polish, class" are very different amongst the lines. I've had some great sailings on NCL, but for newbies I'd rather go with the "known great product" of PCL. 

So, it will be 4 in one stateroom?

Yes, that space could make a difference.

Do be aware of mid-ship upper decks under the Sea Walk.  There are some videos online.

There are pictures of mini-suites with the couch either pulled out, or used with a single berth mattress just placed on it (not pulled out).

5 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

So, it will be 4 in one stateroom?

No, just 3. 2 adults and a 10 yo.

And thank you. I am reading about the mid-ship balconies under the Sea Walk. Not too worried about them, but I do need to do a little more homework. 

Thank you. 

Edited by Griff4AU

8 hours ago, Griff4AU said:

No, just 3. 2 adults and a 10 yo.

In that case, C403-C409. Mini-suite,  larger balcony, can 'close' 1 room where 10 yo is with drape (on at least 1 royal class ship) and still have TV, sofa, balcony 

Yes I get a mini-suite when it's 16F, 8F, and me

Edited by Ombud

4 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Here is video of a similar room, in the middle of that mid-ship bumpout, R423, on the Sky Princess.  Having that 'overhang' above you, instead of an open sky view might be one factor.   More shade, if you like the less open feel.

Thank you.. That's what I needed to see. While we're likely going to go with a Mini, I like the sky above and personally that's a no-go for me.