Seattle R/T Eclipse Cruise to Alaska Questions

fsukel02

Hello all,

My husband and I are going on an Alaskan cruise round trip from Seattle in August 2023. We did a northbound Alaskan cruise back in 2010 and are excited to return.

I have a few random questions that I am hoping to gain some insight from those who have experience so in more recent times.

1. Does anyone have any info on how much a Persian Gardens/Thermal suites pass for two people costs for the 7 day trip?

2. Any tips on river fishing excursions (there appears to be only trolling offerings with the ship) in any of the following stops: Ketchikan, Juneau, or Skagway? Preferable ones that are not private excursions as those tend to be especially pricey and it will likely only be my husband fishing, making it that much more expensive.

3. If the ship is slated to be back to Seattle at 6am, what time do you think/know walk offs will commence? 

Thank you so much for any information that can help us best plan for this trip!

Regarding question #2, while our OP has expressed a preference for excursions which are not private, all of the SE Alaska communities have visitor bureaus.   Just use google to find their respective website, which frequently list businesses.

We were B2B on the Solstice in June on a pair of Alaska itineraries.  While we didn't do a walk off with our luggage it seems to be that the self disembark process started between 7 and 7:30 AM.

47 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

My Friend, Celebrity Eclipse sails from Vancouver, BC.  The Solstice sails from Seattle.

You are so right- I keep mixing them up having been on both before and find them so similar. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Northern Aurora said:

Regarding question #2, while our OP has expressed a preference for excursions which are not private, all of the SE Alaska communities have visitor bureaus.   Just use google to find their respective website, which frequently list businesses.

We were B2B on the Solstice in June on a pair of Alaska itineraries.  While we didn't do a walk off with our luggage it seems to be that the self disembark process started between 7 and 7:30 AM.

Thank you! We have an early flight home so wanting to know how likely it is we will be able to make it there with in time. We have TSA recheck and plan to pack carry on only. 

Regarding question 2, we did the trolling trip 2 years ago and had a great time but I do understand your husband not wanting to do it.  Ketchikan is the salmon capital.  Every time we have been there, there are many people, local and tourist, lined up near the bridges throughout town fishing.  In the summer you can practically walk on the fish in the river.  If you husband has his own gear, he can just find a nice spot in town to fish.  The locals are ver friendly and will even suggest a good place.

8 minutes ago, fsukel02 said:

You are so right- I keep mixing them up having been on both before and find them so similar. Thank you!

Okay, assuming that you are on the Solstice in Seattle - be prepared for a very busy embark and disembarkation as both the Solstice (2800 capacity) and the Ovation OTS (4900 Capacity) are at Pier 91 on Fridays.  The Ovation always starts earlier letting passengers off beginning at about 6:30 AM, and the Solstice starts about 30-45 minutes later at about 7-7:15 AM

Edited by Ferry_Watcher

On 10/16/2022 at 7:57 PM, Ferry_Watcher said:

Okay, assuming that you are on the Solstice in Seattle - be prepared for a very busy embark and disembarkation as both the Solstice (2800 capacity) and the Ovation OTS (4900 Capacity) are at Pier 91 on Fridays.  The Ovation always starts earlier letting passengers off beginning at about 6:30 AM, and the Solstice starts about 30-45 minutes later at about 7-7:15 AM

Thank you! Do you happen to know if that significantly impacts getting to the airport (in your experience maybe)?

On 10/16/2022 at 7:54 PM, leo72976 said:

Regarding question 2, we did the trolling trip 2 years ago and had a great time but I do understand your husband not wanting to do it.  Ketchikan is the salmon capital.  Every time we have been there, there are many people, local and tourist, lined up near the bridges throughout town fishing.  In the summer you can practically walk on the fish in the river.  If you husband has his own gear, he can just find a nice spot in town to fish.  The locals are ver friendly and will even suggest a good place.

Yes- he isn't interested in trolling, he feels like it is too passive and often (in our experience) it involves "taking turns" reeling in fish. He would love to find a guide or small group that go to a river to fish. When we did a RCL cruise in 2010, he did a fishing excursion to a river through the ship but nothing like that is offered in the cruise planner. He also brought his own gear and did some fishing himself in Skagway. His most successful experience was in that trailer park right near the port.

9 hours ago, fsukel02 said:

Thank you! Do you happen to know if that significantly impacts getting to the airport (in your experience maybe)?

Depending on the timing of your flight, yes, it will impact you getting to the airport.  Best to schedule any return flight home after 11 AM, and to be really safe, after 11:30.  Look into using the free luggage transfer service called Port Valet, and if you don't have TSA pre-check, SeaTac offers a Spot Saver app to book a time to go thru TSA security.

https://www.portseattle.org/page/port-valet-enjoy-seattle-luggage-free

https://www.portseattle.org/faq/how-do-i-use-sea-spot-saver

14 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Depending on the timing of your flight, yes, it will impact you getting to the airport.  Best to schedule any return flight home after 11 AM, and to be really safe, after 11:30.  Look into using the free luggage transfer service called Port Valet, and if you don't have TSA pre-check, SeaTac offers a Spot Saver app to book a time to go thru TSA security.

https://www.portseattle.org/page/port-valet-enjoy-seattle-luggage-free

https://www.portseattle.org/faq/how-do-i-use-sea-spot-saver

We have TSA PreCheck. We are planning to pack carryon only. We will line up early to disembark, it is not our favorite thing to do but the next flight is many hours later and with flying back to the east coast, it would put us coming in after midnight. With work commitments, it's tight. We are going to try to make it work. Thank you so much for the tips and advice- it is much appreciated :). 

• Like 1