Where do Oceania Ships Dock in Istanbul?

Psoque

On 10/29/2022 at 12:57 AM, arima22 said:

Today the Marina is docking at the Salipazari Pier, Galataport.

Are you currently onboard?  There has been no one from a very long roll call thread posting here, which is sort of unusual.  I guess you are all too busy having fun.

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Posque, yes, I have paid attention to where ships moor/dock in Istanbul.  It's where they moored several years before and only the terminal (Galataport) is new, not the location.  I was curious about the new terminal, so looked at where ships moored on Marine Traffic before and after our May cruise.  Big and small, it was always along the water at Galataport (Salipazari berth, as someone mentions). If you're going to have someone drop you off, just make sure they know how that goes for passengers boarding a cruise ship.  I believe the cab driver will be directed to one side of the building, and go down to the basement.  But after that, I can't really help other than to caution you to make sure he can find the proper place to drop you.  We (well, mostly he, cab driver) had trouble in May, but maybe there is signage now to help.  And unless you're on a tiny cruise ship I believe you can plan on being assigned to the Salapazari berth. (For a tiny ship, who knows? Oceania small ships and Azamara ships are small, but not tiny.)

We have now stayed twice in Sultanahmet before\after a cruise (once pre-Galataport and more recently in May) and found it to be a good place for sightseeing, especially if you're planning to use public transportation and/or your feet to get around.   Getting from the airport wasn't terribly bad, though in May it took forever because it was the end of Ramadan week and the traffic was worse than usual.   But we were bogged down with luggage and didn't feel we could manage anything but taxi.  (We used Efendi, prepaid, for airport pickup.)  Getting to the port from Sultanahmet was reasonably easy & fast (maybe 20 minutes by cab).  

Thanks for your detailed description.

I was primarily interested in knowing if our ship is definitely going to be disembarking in Galataport.  When I go to some of the websites describing the location where cruise ships dock in Istanbul, there are fairly conflicting and vague information regarding the fact that there are multiple ports that cruise ships have used, but no information whether the new Galataport facility is now being used exclusively for that purpose of not.

This would make a big difference since we would definitely need to arrange for a private transfer from our disembarkation port to the hotel in Istanbul.

2 hours ago, cruisr said:

Are you currently onboard?  There has been no one from a very long roll call thread posting here, which is sort of unusual.  I guess you are all too busy having fun.

Yes, has been a great cruise!  Couldn't ask for better weather, ship service and food excellent.  Only downer is that every destination is so crowded, people have been waiting over 2 years to get out and about, and they are certainly doing that now...

Also, Nautical was docked at the next slot down from Marina yesterday.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2022 at 12:58 PM, Psoque said:

Thanks for your detailed description.

I was primarily interested in knowing if our ship is definitely going to be disembarking in Galataport.  When I go to some of the websites describing the location where cruise ships dock in Istanbul, there are fairly conflicting and vague information regarding the fact that there are multiple ports that cruise ships have used, but no information whether the new Galataport facility is now being used exclusively for that purpose of not.

This would make a big difference since we would definitely need to arrange for a private transfer from our disembarkation port to the hotel in Istanbul.

Well, I would hope that most drivers. including taxi drivers, would know where cruise ships are docking these days.  But of course you can't count on that, and even if you see the ship across the way that doesn't mean it's smooth sailing once you get over the right area.   What I'm not sure of is where drivers should pick up passengers at Galataport.  The port building ("Galataport") has an underground area where cabs and coaches come, but I don't know if drivers are being directed there or not.  And we embarked our cruise there, but disembarked in a different city.  Our cab driver from the Istanbul hotel to the port was directed to go underground, but then he struggled to find where he should drop us. There was little signage, and only a few people walking around down there.  I believe they were crew members and being helpful, and they pointed over to a door.  It was a door that opened but from what I could tell it was only set up for people with key cards -- in other words, people who had already checked in/embarked.  We had to wait until someone from the port came by, and we flagged them down.  It was a mess, but of course, that was for embarking not disembarking, and was in May.  Maybe things will be different for you. 

But I'd definitely make it known to any car service that you'll be leaving the ship, with luggage, and need to know where to meet a driver.  You can get ON and OFF the ship through the above-ground entrance to the building, but I don't know what that entry is used for - just walkers with key cards coming from the ship to go in and out, or coming to enbark, or both. 

You may want to email Efendi Travel or other service to ask them where they pick up at Galataport when you're leaving the ship with luggage. And you're probably wise to use a car service, as I doubt by now all cabdrivers in a huge city like Istanbul know that Galataport is not like the previous cruise terminal building, where you could drive to a particular ship and not have to go underground.  I guess if things still aren't clear, you could pick a location very close to Galataport to meet. And if you're going to a hotel, you could also ask at the hotel if they have any drivers they've dealt with.  We stayed in a small, modest hotel and found they were quite knowledgeable about things we needed like Covid tests &  restaurants.

On 10/17/2022 at 4:33 PM, Psoque said:

Thanks for this info.

I'm sure we can figure something out and find a reasonably priced hotel and a reliable transportation.

Hi -

Just stayed at the Romance Istanbul Hotel in Sultanahmet.  Great experience.  We were boarding in Istanbul and hotel arranged airport pickup and cruise transfer.   The hotel is within easy walking distance of Topkapi Palace, Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia and also right on the streetcar line.  Really perfectly located.

As others have noted the new cruise terminal is hard to find and most taxi drivers do not know where it is or how to access the passenger drop off/pick up areas.   There were also NO porters available…meaning none!

All that said, I love Istanbul, one of my favorite cities.

Joe

• 4 weeks later...

In reading through this thread, it gets a bit confusing.  We are flying in to Istanbul and transfering directly to the ship.  I assumed that there will be someone at the airport to meet us and direct u to a shuttle to the correct location at the port.  Is that correct?

3 minutes ago, kmilli8ron said:

In reading through this thread, it gets a bit confusing.  We are flying in to Istanbul and transfering directly to the ship.  I assumed that there will be someone at the airport to meet us and direct u to a shuttle to the correct location at the port.  Is that correct?

Usually the O reps  are outside baggage claim area

just look for them with the paddle or sign

On 10/17/2022 at 9:30 AM, LHT28 said:

You could always pre book a private car service (if available ) then you will know the cost upfront

Contact the hotel & see if they can recommend  something

JMO

Excellent advice! We had a time of it in Istanbul trying to even find  taxi.