Almaplena Eco Beach or Hayhu Beach

GetToLivin

Looking at both of these, I know they're more on the rustic/boutique side, but I really don't want to deal with the vendors and crowds (from what I'm reading of the popular Costa Maya beaches). Has anyone been recently? I'll have my husband and 15 yo son with me so I am searching for something relaxing with good service, but wondering if these locations are so low-key that they lack a festive atmosphere? Looking for those who have been and would like to share their experience, thank you kindly in advance!

When are you cruising?

I have been asking about Almaplena for months and only had one nibble from somebodsy going in November, who had been before.

We are supposed to go the first week of December and are still wavering on booking Almaplena or not. (figured Maya Chan wouldn't be an option with 4 ships in port that day and turned to be right)

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/17/2022 at 8:36 PM, bguppies said:

When are you cruising?

I have been asking about Almaplena for months and only had one nibble from somebodsy going in November, who had been before.

We are supposed to go the first week of December and are still wavering on booking Almaplena or not. (figured Maya Chan wouldn't be an option with 4 ships in port that day and turned to be right)

Like you, I LOVE Nachi Cocum so after seeing your post about Almaplena, I pulled the trigger and booked it.  I know you were concerned about getting to the taxi, etc so I wanted to share info from the email I rec'd from them this morning :)

Transportation:

Please travel together in a regular Taxi up to 4 people (if you would take a different trasportation additional rate will be at your charge).
Round trip Taxi transportation is included (from and to Costa Maya Port), it's fine to take transportation inside or outside the Port. 
At your arrival please exit the Costa Maya Port, keep walking straight about 3 min. and on your right or left side you'll see the taxi meeting area.
Please see the attached picture of the taxi site transportation and a map of the port area and outside the port area. The YELLOW taxi cab stop is there on the right hand side approximately where you see the #0. That's where you'll have to go to catch a cab to Almaplena. They know your ride to Almaplena Resort is included.
The ride will take about 20 min.

image.jpeg.1a7e3d9acfbaa950315b35f57ffbd7fa.jpeg

On 11/14/2022 at 6:39 AM, FLAMOM24 said:

Transportation:

Please travel together in a regular Taxi up to 4 people (if you would take a different trasportation additional rate will be at your charge).
Round trip Taxi transportation is included (from and to Costa Maya Port), it's fine to take transportation inside or outside the Port. 
At your arrival please exit the Costa Maya Port, keep walking straight about 3 min. and on your right or left side you'll see the taxi meeting area.
Please see the attached picture of the taxi site transportation and a map of the port area and outside the port area. The YELLOW taxi cab stop is there on the right hand side approximately where you see the #0. That's where you'll have to go to catch a cab to Almaplena. They know your ride to Almaplena Resort is included.
The ride will take about 20 min.

image.jpeg.1a7e3d9acfbaa950315b35f57ffbd7fa.jpeg

I think I would want to double check with them that these instructions are current. That looks  like their old map and instructions.

Main Taxis dispatch is now inside the port. I know Maya Chan has a pick-up booth outside the port and were trying to negotiate  for a pick-up inside, unsuccessfully.

Costa Maya is always changing its taxi dispatch  station. Pre Covid it was on the left exiting the port. I am not sure if there is still a dispatch outside or if is just a matter of securing a random returning driver now. It doesn’t sound like Almaplena has a dedicated driver that is actually wAiting for you but perhaps they have negotiated a discount for pick-up outside (although the written instructions are somewhat confusing as they say inside OR outside the port).

Edited by c-leg5

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

I think I would want to double check with them that these instructions are current. That looks  like their old map and instructions.

Main Taxis dispatch is now inside the port. I know Maya Chan has a pick-up booth outside the port and were trying to negotiate  for a pick-up inside, unsuccessfully.

Costa Maya is always changing its taxi dispatch  station. Pre Covid it was on the left exiting the port. I am not sure if there is still a dispatch outside or if is just a matter of securing a random returning driver now. It doesn’t sound like Almaplena has a dedicated driver that is actually wAiting for you but perhaps they have negotiated a discount for pick-up outside (although the written instructions are somewhat confusing as they say inside OR outside the port).

Thanks for your response. Just copied and pasted what they emailed me earlier this week when I booked. 

Here is the contact info they provided in that same email if verification is needed:

Contact / whatsapp:
Our mobile number is (011-52-1) 983-137.50.70. The signal is not always working because we are secluded, however we always receive whatsapp and email messages at info@almaplenabeachresort.com.

Edited by FLAMOM24

• 2 months later...
On 11/15/2022 at 6:01 PM, FLAMOM24 said:

Thanks for your response. Just copied and pasted what they emailed me earlier this week when I booked. 

Here is the contact info they provided in that same email if verification is needed:

Contact / whatsapp:
Our mobile number is (011-52-1) 983-137.50.70. The signal is not always working because we are secluded, however we always receive whatsapp and email messages at info@almaplenabeachresort.com.

Just wondering if you have been to Almaplena yet? Any thoughts?

When we were there in April, only the one on the left side was open - the other "exits" were blocked off. We had to wind our way through the whole port to get out. It's bigger than it appears from this picture if you haven't done it before - and that is after a long walk down the long pier.

20 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Just wondering if you have been to Almaplena yet? Any thoughts?

Hi!  Yes we did go. It was not at all what I had hoped for/expected.  We were the only ones there aside from 2 other guys who appeared to be staying there.  It’s very small and the first two drinks I requested, I was told they could not make (mimosa and a mojito).  
The seas were very rough (it was incredibly windy) so I was not able to snorkel as I’d hoped to (not their fault, I realize) but the reef just off shore was a draw for me.

The food was good and the beer as well.  It’s a very small operation, not like Nachi Cocum but they were friendly and did their best.  
I would say if you go without exoectations, it will be fine.

12 minutes ago, FLAMOM24 said:

Hi!  Yes we did go. It was not at all what I had hoped for/expected.  We were the only ones there aside from 2 other guys who appeared to be staying there.  It’s very small and the first two drinks I requested, I was told they could not make (mimosa and a mojito).  
The seas were very rough (it was incredibly windy) so I was not able to snorkel as I’d hoped to (not their fault, I realize) but the reef just off shore was a draw for me.

The food was good and the beer as well.  It’s a very small operation, not like Nachi Cocum but they were friendly and did their best.  
I would say if you go without exoectations, it will be fine.

Thanks for reporting back.

Yes, I knew it was small, it is a small eco-hotel, not a beach club like Nachi so I wouldn’t have those expectations. My impression was it had a better beach than Maya Chan and beaches on the malecon although I am sure it would still be affected by sargassum if it was around. I hadn’t seen any recent reviews so wondered how transport was since Covid. Strange they couldn't make cocktails.

I think I would be more inclined to try Hotel Maya Luna (also small hotel but closer to port) or Hayhu (beach club) if I had long port hours and wanted to go out of town.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, c-leg5 said:

Thanks for reporting back.

Yes, I knew it was small, it is a small eco-hotel, not a beach club like Nachi so I wouldn’t have those expectations. My impression was it had a better beach than Maya Chan and beaches on the malecon although I am sure it would still be affected by sargassum if it was around. I hadn’t seen any recent reviews so wondered how transport was since Covid. Strange they couldn't make cocktails.

I think I would be more inclined to try Hotel Maya Luna (also small hotel but closer to port) or Hayhu (beach club) if I had long port hours and wanted to go out of town.

I’m not familiar with those other beaches.  I will say that they do a good job cleaning up the beach in front of the property.  They had a guy there raking when we arrived. I walked a little further down the beach and there was a LOT of litter but that’s not the properties responsibility, I realize. 😊

The ride there was “interesting”.  Lots of back roads and bumps and seemed to take a while but the ride back to port was quicker/more direct.  I wasn’t sure why the difference in routes 

I’d you’re looking for secluded and friendly, this seems to fit the bill 

Edited by FLAMOM24
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
34 minutes ago, SherriZ366 said:

Has anyone been to Almaplena Beach Club lately.  Is is a safe trip?   Is the resort safe?  

What aspect of safety?

If this is for a trip in the near future, highly likely both will probably have sargassum issues.

Almaplena  incredibly far from town so it should be much safer than along the Malecon in town, but people's ideas of safety are much different. (you can still barely see the ships docked in the distance to the north)

You really should expound on what you are worrying about safetywise.

I find Cozumel safer than Costa Maya, but others do not, so it depends on the person and what they plan on doing while there.

Edited by bguppies

On 5/8/2023 at 4:34 PM, bguppies said:

Almaplena  incredibly far from town so it should be much safer than along the Malecon in town, but people's ideas of safety are much different. (you can still barely see the ships docked in the distance to the north)

You really should expound on what you are worrying about safetywise.

I find Cozumel safer than Costa Maya, but others do not, so it depends on the person and what they plan on doing while there.

Worrying about Cartel Violence.  Have been to Cancun and Cozumel many times and didn't worry.  But in 2023 Cartel Violence is more prevalent.