forward facing club balcony/mini-suite on the Sun: likelihood of being offered an upsell/upgrade?

wxtrix

we're sailing the Sun next year and the cabin i really wanted opened up (front-facing mini-suite). I don't like the bathroom arrangement as much as I do with the side-facing mini-suites but the room is a big bigger. I'm curious if, like with flights, certain cabins are easier to resell for a higher price and so you're more likely to be offered an upsell or upgrade closer to the sail date.

thanks!

9 minutes ago, complawyer said:

you may be offered a chance to bid for an upgraded cabin, but its very, very unlikely you will be offered one for free. best just book the cabin you  really want

oh i’m definitely expecting to pay for it. 🙂

thanks!

No reason they won't offer a bid opportunity.  Doubtful they'd offer anything specific to get you to move otherwise, although they have been known to award early bids to free up sold out categories that are in high demand.  Had it happen, sold out Family OV, bid to balcony awarded 90+ days out.

• Thanks 1

The balconies on the forward facing club balcony or regular balcony cabins on the Sun are simply amazing when it comes to space - wouldn't change that for a sideways club balcony even if the bathroom is "better" on the "sideways facing" club balcony cabins.

This is from one of the two forward facing regular balcony cabins:

image.thumb.jpeg.65c7d0fc720dac856371ddccb91147e4.jpeg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wxtrix said:

we're sailing the Sun next year and the cabin i really wanted opened up (front-facing mini-suite). I don't like the bathroom arrangement as much as I do with the side-facing mini-suites but the room is a big bigger. I'm curious if, like with flights, certain cabins are easier to resell for a higher price and so you're more likely to be offered an upsell or upgrade closer to the sail date.

thanks!

If they are sold out already, there is a chance that one will open. 

That being said, the probability of you seeing it before it is snatched up is near zero. 

Is there such a thing as a forward facing club balcony???? I thought they were all full suites. We try to book forward facing suites on the small ships, but don’t recall any club rooms. 

Edited by BirdTravels

9 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

The balconies on the forward facing club balcony or regular balcony cabins on the Sun are simply amazing when it comes to space - wouldn't change that for a sideways club balcony even if the bathroom is "better" on the "sideways facing" club balcony cabins.

This is from one of the two forward facing regular balcony cabins:

image.thumb.jpeg.65c7d0fc720dac856371ddccb91147e4.jpeg

thanks for the photo--the balcony is the reason i wanted this cabin and I'm happy to have been able to book it.

• Like 1

You should already be getting an offer to submit an upgrade bid in your NCL App.  The way it looks on mine is that there are Owner's Suite, Aft and Forward Penthouses and Club minis with no mention of fore or aft. 

If you're not able to see those you should probably update your app.

5 hours ago, FLcruisergrl said:

While you’re likely to be offered a chance to bid to a higher category, it’s not as likely that you’re bid will be accepted and you will be assigned that particular cabin. If you want it, just upgrade outright!

thanks--I'm pretty happy with the front-facing mini-suite and was mostly curious about the factors that go into being offered an upsell.

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

If they are sold out already, there is a chance that one will open. 

That being said, the probability of you seeing it before it is snatched up is near zero. 

Is there such a thing as a forward facing club balcony???? I thought they were all full suites. We try to book forward facing suites on the small ships, but don’t recall any club rooms. 

on the 11th deck on the Sun there 6 forward facing cabins: 2 suites, 2 regular balconies, and 2 mini-suites. the Sun is new to us so I've been busy learning all about it!

2 hours ago, wxtrix said:

thanks--I'm pretty happy with the front-facing mini-suite and was mostly curious about the factors that go into being offered an upsell.

on the 11th deck on the Sun there 6 forward facing cabins: 2 suites, 2 regular balconies, and 2 mini-suites. the Sun is new to us so I've been busy learning all about it!

We were on the Sun to Alaska.  We decided late, and happened to find what must have been a late cancellation on one of the OS.  (We've been on the other end of that, having a medical emergency and suddenly making the cancellation of a nice suite, alas.)

Those OS on the Sun:  there are two, on in each forward corner.  They probably should be called DOS, but who's counting, etc.?

There is a very wide balcony, with a private hot tub, and chairs/loungers and a table.

The VIEW is amazing, and perfect for a scenic cruise.  We love forward views, so we'd have loved this for an ocean crossing. 😉 

It's got that same forward view, but "more of it", as one can look across a wider area.  (We booked Starboard, for a northbound cruise, and the beautiful coasts and snow-topped mountains... wowl)

I don't know what the space is like in the smaller accommodations on the various forward facing decks, but we'd probably take any of them in a heartbeat.

I can't say too much about the Sun more generally, as we mostly stayed in our suite, and had many meals served in our dining area with floor to ceiling, wall-to-wall glass.  It was one of our favorite cruises.

GC

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

We were on the Sun to Alaska.  We decided late, and happened to find what must have been a late cancellation on one of the OS.  (We've been on the other end of that, having a medical emergency and suddenly making the cancellation of a nice suite, alas.)

Those OS on the Sun:  there are two, on in each forward corner.  They probably should be called DOS, but who's counting, etc.?

There is a very wide balcony, with a private hot tub, and chairs/loungers and a table.

The VIEW is amazing, and perfect for a scenic cruise.  We love forward views, so we'd have loved this for an ocean crossing. 😉 

It's got that same forward view, but "more of it", as one can look across a wider area.  (We booked Starboard, for a northbound cruise, and the beautiful coasts and snow-topped mountains... wowl)

I don't know what the space is like in the smaller accommodations on the various forward facing decks, but we'd probably take any of them in a heartbeat.

I can't say too much about the Sun more generally, as we mostly stayed in our suite, and had many meals served in our dining area with floor to ceiling, wall-to-wall glass.  It was one of our favorite cruises.

GC

Aside from the Dawn Garden Villa, that Sun OS has been my favorite room ever! We were only on for a short weekend cruise, but it felt like much longer, between the suite and the amazing staff. We loved it so much we booked it again, but unfortunately we were supposed to sail on March 13, 2020. The day the world shut down. We had a nice lunch, spent an hour in the suite, and then went home. 😢