Rome - Hidden Gem Hotel

IotaEtaPi

My husband and I have been to Rome on enough trips that we have seen all the must see attractions. We will flying into Rome for 1 1/2 days (end of April) before our cruise out of Civitavecchia. Is there an area or hotel that is maybe off the beaten path or a hidden gem we should try? We would even consider going farther afield if it's on on the way to the port. Since we are landing very early in the morning, the plan is to book the hotel for the night before so we have a place to crash as soon as we get to town. Thanks for any advice.

First, do not book for the night before, its a waste of money. The far better solution for jet lag is to change to the local time as fast as possible, by staying active and moving until as close as possible to normal bedtime in the new time zone. So walk around, see the sites, enjoy one of the best cities in the world.

Secondly, there are several threads here on hotels. Most like to stay in the historic center, but if your budget is a little more generous, I would stay at the Cavalleri, one of the best hotels in the city.

Lastly, early check in is always a function of availability. April in Rome isn't going to be as busy as other times...your chance of early check in is better. But hotels rarely refuse to hold your bags until your room is available. Plus, it will take you probably a minimum of 2 hours to clear out of FCO and get to your hotel, so you probably won't be there much before 10am.

40 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

April in Rome isn't going to be as busy as other times.

Easter is one of the busiest times of the year in Rome and it often falls in April. In 2023 Easter Sunday will fall on April 9th.

Thanks...you are correct. However,  the OP said they were going in "late April ", so I sense Easter will not affect them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2022 at 4:31 PM, CruiserBruce said:

First, do not book for the night before, its a waste of money. The far better solution for jet lag is to change to the local time as fast as possible, by staying active and moving until as close as possible to normal bedtime in the new time zone. So walk around, see the sites, enjoy one of the best cities in the world.

Secondly, there are several threads here on hotels. Most like to stay in the historic center, but if your budget is a little more generous, I would stay at the Cavalleri, one of the best hotels in the city.

Lastly, early check in is always a function of availability. April in Rome isn't going to be as busy as other times...your chance of early check in is better. But hotels rarely refuse to hold your bags until your room is available. Plus, it will take you probably a minimum of 2 hours to clear out of FCO and get to your hotel, so you probably won't be there much before 10am.

Agree.....  A hotel room booked for the night before might be good to get cleaned up, change clothes etc. but do not sleep in the morning.   Get going as Bruce suggests.   Stay up as long as you can.  Even sleeping at 6 pm is much better than sleeping at 10 am right after you get off the plane...

• Like 1

We were in Rome this past September and while the hotel we stayed at was great "W Rome" we used our Marriott points and I probably won't have enough to cover a nightly rate of almost $800/night for next October. So I began searching for a boutique hotel and discovered this property over the weekend. It is new, opened in June 22, clean, large rooms and bathrooms, and excellent reviews. When I made our reservation, I had input a request and someone from Guest Services immediately responded.

It is located in the Monti district, close to shopping and dining, but not too close to the tourist attractions to be congested and noisy. The rates are very good too- we booked a superior suite with a view. You can book a rate with or without breakfast.

https://sentho.it/