Pre-sail purchases vs on board purchases

pmjnh

Question regarding pricing of gifts and indulgences:

I am looking at the pricing of different items for our upcoming cruise. In general, will the pricing be the same as offered on my booking if I wait to purchase on board , ie internet, wine packages, etc?

Also, I wish to purchase items using gift cards...if I choose to make pre sail purchases, can I call HAL and use my gift cards for those items or will I have to use a CC?

Thank you

You can use gift cards on phone, online or on board.  One caveat is when checking out online you can purchase with a single or multiple gift cards but cannot combine gift cards with credit cards in a single check out.  

the internet package before you cruise is priced for mid tier but you receive the upper tier, a slight savings.  Most other things are not a savings unless stated and are as easily booked onboard.  In the recent inflationary environment I have found shore excursion prices go up so if it is a must do I book as soon as available.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is only possible to purchase the Premium level internet package pre cruise.  It is discounted by 20%, making it only slightly more expensive than the Surf package price onboard.

If we have internet included in our cruise price we wait until onboard and upgrade to the Premium, however if we do not have internet included then we would pre purchase at least one of the Premium packages at the discounted price.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, laura1960 said:

Is it true that I can't use my OBC to prepay the Internet package?

It is my understanding that once. You are on board you can use your OBC but not before the sailing  date. 

• Like 1

My experience has been that the wine packages are priced the same on board as before I sail.  The Hydrothermal Pool/Thermal Suite cruise pass I never buy before sailing,  That is one of the first things I do after I board.  Sometimes, there is a discount if one buys it during Embarkation Day.  

18 minutes ago, laura1960 said:

Is it true that I can't use my OBC to prepay the Internet package?

OBC stands for ON BOARD credit. So in general (and in specific) it is true you can't spend it beforehand. A few people on a few lines have reported being able to, which seems to miss the point.

The Premium Internet is the only level that can be bought pre-boarding, for a discount that makes it scarcely more than the middle Surf plan. So you will have to decide which is better -- the discount in real money, or waiting to spend your OBC.

On 10/19/2022 at 5:33 AM, Mary229 said:

You can use gift cards on phone, online or on board.  One caveat is when checking out online you can purchase with a single or multiple gift cards but cannot combine gift cards with credit cards in a single check out.  

the internet package before you cruise is priced for mid tier but you receive the upper tier, a slight savings.  Most other things are not a savings unless stated and are as easily booked onboard.  In the recent inflationary environment I have found shore excursion prices go up so if it is a must do I book as soon as available.

Mary, 

do you know if you can split a pre-purchase between two credit cards? thank you!!

3 minutes ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

Mary, 

do you know if you can split a pre-purchase between two credit cards? thank you!!

I don’t know.  I know you can list multiple gift cards for a single transaction.  You will probably have to call to do so.  Let us know if you are successful.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crystalspin said:

OBC stands for ON BOARD credit. So in general (and in specific) it is true you can't spend it beforehand. A few people on a few lines have reported being able to, which seems to miss the point.

The Premium Internet is the only level that can be bought pre-boarding, for a discount that makes it scarcely more than the middle Surf plan. So you will have to decide which is better -- the discount in real money, or waiting to spend your OBC.

Yes I don't think thst anyone is confused by the  meaning.  Hal used to let you book shorex 3 days before with obc. I've read more than a few people saying on other lines that they can use obc so it doesn't surprise me when people are confused.

Carnival does allow use of OBC before sailing.  I believe they just recently started allowing this & only on Carnival, not on all their brands (HAL, Princess etc)  IMO it does make sense- The things you purchase with OBC are going to be used while on the cruise, whether you buy them beforehand or on the ship.  On a recent Carnival cruise, I was allowed to pre purchase shore ex, spa treatments, or specialty dining using OBC.  It made planning & budgeting so much easier.