Using a HAL Amex Gift card onboarc

newtocruiseinblue

I had a HAL gift card,  purchased from HAL, and went to guest services to have it put on my account. It took quite a lot of time as they had to fill out a paper form and then contact someone shore side to get it credited the next day.

If you can use it to buy OBC on the Hal website, I think it would be infinitely easier. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trk_koa said:

I had a HAL gift card,  purchased from HAL, and went to guest services to have it put on my account. It took quite a lot of time as they had to fill out a paper form and then contact someone shore side to get it credited the next day.

If you can use it to buy OBC on the Hal website, I think it would be infinitely easier. 

I took hard copies of the cards - some said they wanted hard copies, but all the NS wanted was the numbers and the PIN.   So bring em both.   YMMV   -  But as you said - It's best to drop em off at the front desk and they will call you when ready or want more info.    Don't wait till the last few days.

• Like 1

I have 29,000 points on a Princess credit card. Since HAL and Princess are both owned by Carnival, I was hoping to redeem the points to OBC to use on HAL, but I can't find a way to do this.

I can redeem for a Carnival gift card, or store gift card, but there's no HAL option, or even just a plain Visa option.

Edited by roomba920

When I cruised in August, I had HAL gift cards purchased from AARP.  I had not printed them out but had them on my apple wallet where they could see the numbers.  They looked at my apple wallet and input all the numbers and had paperwork for me to sign.  They then wanted me to email a screen shot of the gift cards to them.  It took a while but it got done.

Fast forward to this month, I was on Princess and had Princess gift cards purchased from AARP.  When I showed it to them, they told me to email them a screen shot.  Nothing to sign and it was posted to my account in a matter of minutes.

Not really sure why HAL makes  it so difficult.

On 10/20/2022 at 10:47 AM, newtocruiseinblue said:

If I have a HAL Amex gift card and want to use it onboard, should I converted to onboard credit before I leave or just take the gift card with me? Thank you!!

To be honest I would absolutely convert to onboard credit if possible. The only time I ever tried to use it the system was down and then when it came back up on disembarkation day they said “oh it is too late to do a gift card.” The whole experience left a sour taste in my mouth. I have heard from others it is quite the process for them to make a payment also so I think buying obc online before hand will make your life much easier assuming you know roughly what you will spend onboard. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, roomba920 said:

Interesting. I just redeemed points on my Barclay Princess card towards a digital gift card for HAL.

How would I go about getting this on my onboard credit account with HAL?

You can purchase OBC on-line and pay with a gift card.

• Like 2