Radisson Cruiser Considering Seadream

marienbad

Having sailed many times on Radisson, we are considering trying Seadream.

I have a few questions: are wines and tips included? Is there shady places to lounge on the outside decks? Is there dancing before and after dinner? Is there a bar setup in the cabin? I take it the cabins will not be as large as those on Radisson, and there are no balconies.

Any comparative advice would be helpful.

We haven't sailed on Radisson but have sailed SeaDream twice.

All drinks - hard, soft and wine, are included as well as tips. There is no bar set up in he cabin but you really don't need it ... we would take a drink back to the cabin with us while dressing for dinner. There is always beer and champagne in your cabin.

Lots of shady places ... especially the Top of the Yacht Bar (which is out doors) and there are chaise lounges on Deck 4, under cover, that look out over the pool. There are umbrellas for shade around the pool and the Balinese sun beds. DH burns quite quickly and he was able to enjoy the great out doors both cruises with not a single burn.

There is no dancing before or after dinner ... although there is a disco night one night.

I can't make a comparison to Radisson on the size. There are no balconies which I originally worried about prior to sailing SD. We always have a balcony when we cruise other lines (Princess, HAL, RCCL, Disney). We did not miss the balcony as the public spaces are very private ... you can even sleep out under the stars if you wish.

The cabins are very well done ... although we really spent little time it other than to sleep and dress.

Hope that helps:)

Funny, as former SD passengers, we're considering Radisson for the Paul Gaugin.

Yes, wines (at all hours too, not just at meals) and tips are included. There are a number of wines available for purchase should you not like the house choices. We made contributions to the Crew Fund on our SeaDream cruises. As noted on other boards, thes contributions benefit all the crew, not just the ones you see. Also, we tipped the spa ladies since they were employed by the spa, not the cruise line.

There are lots of shady places to lounge on deck. Poolside there are four large umbrellas as well as tables. On the transAtlantic they were occupied for hours by folks with cut throat bridge games, etc. Umbrellas don't seem to go up as often in the Caribbean. Pool is on deck 3. On deck four overlooking the pool there are eight or so lounge chairs in the shade. Then up top on deck 6 there are the famous Balinese beds -- which can be shaded (lounger's choice) as well as the open air lounge area - again shaded. Very comfortable chairs to curl up and read - as well as excellent bar service.

There is no "organized dancing" before dinner. However, on all 3 of the SD cruises there has been an excellent pianist playing in the lounge during the pre-dinner cocktail hours and if you want to dance - please so do. I don't think anyone would object. Depending on your captain/cruise director, if there is any interest in dancing - you should be able to schedule a dance. On 2 of the 3 SD cruises, a "disco" was setup one night, plus a pool side dance another night. (we were topside - but heard no one fell in!!)

Cabins are adequate. Bathroom is small - shower only, but very luxurious. Yes, no balconies, but the public spaces are so nice we spent very little time in the room other than sleeping and changing. Coffee and tea is available top side pre sunrise. Be aware, that unless something has changed from transatlantic fall crossing - you aren't able to order full dinners for your cabin (only club sandwiches and things that didn't require cooking - don't know if that is standard or was just a peculiarity of our chef). That was somewhat disappointing for a number of passengers, but alternatively, the crew is very quick to set up a table poolside should you not wish to deal with the main salon on nights when dinner is indoors.

There is no bar set up in cabin but with 24 hr room service, I've never heard a complaint. The in-room fridge can be stocked with beverages of choice, including champagne, soda, juice, beer, etc - most folks would just retire to their room to change with a cocktail in hand from the bar. Just let your stewardess know or if you have a concern the ship won't stock - again request from Miami (a friend wanted to make sure diet tonic water was on hand - the wonderful Christophe made sure it was ordered for her cruise)

Because of its lack of formality and its flexibility - you might encounter children on board, especially during school holiday weeks in the States for a Caribbean cruise, with only 110 passengers - if you think that will affect your experience, you should check with Miami first. If its an open jaw route or a somewhat less than full cruise and someone wants to charter the ship during the same week, you will be bumped to the other ship (happened to us twice during the past two years four months before departure- thus we are "former" SD cruisers, at least until my husband wears me down).

I've been lurking on other boards - including Radisson, especially now that they are going all inclusive -- notwithstanding my probably irrational pique at having to change vacation plans two years due to chartering - you will not regret a Sea Dream vacation - two of the 3 cruises taken on Sea Dream have been the "best" vacations of our lives -- with excellent service, cuisine, and facilities.

FT

Good recap FT ...

And FT is right that Christophe made sure that there was diet tonic at all of the bars as well as in our cabin. We have another friend, who was on the last cruise with us, who only drinks Red Stripe ... so it was readily available for him.

The service is outstanding on SD. Luckily we haven't had any bumping issues like my friend FT. On our first cruise our cabin was sandwiched between two very young children (a child marking its first birthday who we heard crying quite often and a very quiet toddler). On our last cruise we encountered no children ... just folks who were young at heart!

Good recap FT ...

And FT is right that Christophe made sure that there was diet tonic at all of the bars as well as in our cabin. We have another friend, who was on the last cruise with us, who only drinks Red Stripe ... so it was readily available for him.

The service is outstanding on SD. Luckily we haven't had any bumping issues like my friend FT. On our first cruise our cabin was sandwiched between two very young children (a child marking its first birthday who we heard crying quite often and a very quiet toddler). On our last cruise we encountered no children ... just folks who were young at heart!

I keep trying to get FT to book us again on SD but she can be stubborn. It is my favorite vacation and it works for both of us. With no sea days I can go island exploring and FT can spend her time on the ship or enjoying the water sports platform.

We will just have to work on wearing her down zqvol:p Perhaps Ctbjr can work on her as well.

DH and I agree that SD is in our top two vacations ... his first is bareboating while my first is SD.

Hi Folks !

Do they give passengers a form to complete about the in-cabin beverages for the fridge ? I have to have sugar free sodas and I like Campbells Tomato juice mmmmmm !!!( with or without bloody mary mix !)

I emailed the corporate office before my cruise and asked them if they would stock a certain soda that they don't normally purchase - and when I got to my room, there was plenty of that soda in the refrigerator - so try that.

ZQVOL:

You & FT should join us April 16th on SDI. Supposedly only 4 kids booked. We will see. Anyway, great itinerary.

J & L.

My friend Pattie and I are going on SDI 4/16. Can't wait. How do you know 4 kids are on board and do you know how young? Leaving our husbands and teen boys at home!

You or your TA can contact SD and request the info. At time of booking, we were told a 7 yr old a 15 yr old and 2 listed as "Master" and "Miss". Children have no facilities or events on SD so they tend to be where the adults are. There are several other threads on this board if kids are an issue. FT Zqvol and we were on the infamous "kiddie cruise" last year. This is our first attempt back at SD since. Are hoping for a repeat of our most wonderful SD II cruise in Mexico in December 04, not a repeat of last March. Look forward to meeting you both.

Jim & Lois.

You or your TA can contact SD and request the info. At time of booking, we were told a 7 yr old a 15 yr old and 2 listed as "Master" and "Miss". Children have no facilities or events on SD so they tend to be where the adults are. There are several other threads on this board if kids are an issue. FT Zqvol and we were on the infamous "kiddie cruise" last year. This is our first attempt back at SD since. Are hoping for a repeat of our most wonderful SD II cruise in Mexico in December 04, not a repeat of last March. Look forward to meeting you both.

Jim & Lois.

Jim and Lois we look forward to meeting you also. I know that there are not kids activities or spaces so I had hoped for NONE. I don't know why people would bring them. I love my 15 year old (and my 4 grandkids) but am leaving them at home for a little adult time! Oh well. What can you do.

I know, we all love our kids but it blows my mind that people bring kids to inappropriate venues. For more info on the various views, see my SDI review from march on page three of these threads. Also any posts by Its-My-Dime might be interesting. See you in San Juan, it will be great.

J & L.

ZQVOL:

You & FT should join us April 16th on SDI. Supposedly only 4 kids booked. We will see. Anyway, great itinerary.

J & L.

Wish we could but we can't because I have to be back to work that week, our break is the previous week. Not to mention that DD is working at WDW in Orlando so we get to go visit her amd Mickey.

Archived