Norwegian Sky 9/25-10/2 - worst cruise ever, worst vacation ever

ogredave

I've been holding off on posting this in hopes that NCL would somehow make it right, or even do something, but I guess my expectations were too high.

TLDR - Our entire itinerary changed due to storm with 0 notice.  Only found out at port during boarding.  Nothing offered, no alternatives.  Replacement ports not as desirable, then Norwegian's excursion partner literally crashed their boat in Nassau and our excursion got cancelled at 1 PM with a 4:30 PM all-aboard time.  Again nothing offered, no alternatives.  Out of the replacement ports, Nassau is the most valuable, and it was ruined.  Realistically, what can you do when you find out at 1 PM?  We weren't the only upset party complaining.

Basically, it started off on the wrong foot.  When you get to NCL check-in at the port, the first thing they did was hand you a completely new itinerary.  I asked - there was no option to change, cancel, anything.  At the front desk they literally told me they'd open a ticket and I'd have to work with the Miami office after the cruise.  I understand it's within there T&C's, but this is just about the poorest way to handle it.  Imagine if you had booked your own excursions - which I've done here in the past by coordinating with other forum members.  That would have been a nightmare.

Then the ports - George Town, Roatan, Harvest Caye, and Cozumel (4 different, non-US countries) were replaced with San Juan, St. Thomas, Road Town, and Nassau (2 non-US countries).

We get to San Juan Puerto Rico at 5PM and leave at midnight.  The attractions are all closed by the time you get off the boat!  The forts are closed, you can't go in.  Even NCL's own excursions end at 9:30 PM.  Basically, this felt like filler/fluff.

Next 2 ports - US Virgin Island (St. Thomas), British Virgin Island (Road Town).  Well, I guess they're ok except they're almost the same as the other.  At least by this point we've actually left the country we departed from.

Nassau - this is a nice port, lots more excursions, Atlantis, etc.  We got here late 10:20 AM instead of 10 AM, but our excursion was planned for 1 PM.  We are outside on the dock at 1 PM when the excursion team tells us the excursion partner crashed their boat and is cancelling our excursion.  There was a lot of disappointment and frustration, among many other emotions.  At the point in time, there were no more excursions left.  The staff apologized but there was nothing they could do.  Multiple parties went to the front desk, etc. to complain.  Nothing was done.

Now we've come home and I've gone back and forth with guest relations.  Basically response are sorry but we are within our rights to do this. 

I've told them multiple times.  Sorry is not good enough.  Customers are spending thousands and you want to hide behind T&Cs - that's not right.  Vacations are supposed to be great memories.  The sad thing is we like cruising, and if you look at our demographics and do some math .. well this will cost you more in the long run.

This is literally the worst vacation we've ever had.  Thanks Norwegian.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I forgot to mention - one of the benefits in our package was $50 excursion credit per port.  That was also lost and they wouldn't even give us that.  Feels so pathetically petty.

We've primarily cruised NCL in the past decade.  But it seems it's time to switch.

Edited by ogredave
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not sure what you expected to happen.  If there's a hurricane that's clearly out of their control.  I understand the frustration of doing things like adding token ports where you can't do anything (your San Juan example).  The excursion issue is not really something they can control, assuming you got a refund for the excursion you could have taken a taxi to a beach or something.  The idea that you think Nassau is the best destination is brutal, I don't even want to get off the ship there anymore really other than go for a little walk. 

Any of the issues you experienced can and do happen with all lines.

• Like 17

about 10 years ago i was on a tour bus that broke down driving the down road. this happen 1 hour into a 4 hour tour. This was a NCL excursion and i was very surprised to see they refunded my onboard account for this tour

unexpected things do happen and there is no one to blame. ship happens.

• Like 4

Sorry it didn't go as planned.

I know how that feels.  This past September, Hurricane Fiona rerouted us to Canada instead of Bermuda.  It happens.  Chilly weather port vs. fun in the sun.  A lot of people brought the wrong clothes.  We nonetheless made the best of it and had a good time.  Beats being home or at work!

I'm unclear of what you expect NCL should provide to you as just compensation?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ogredave said:

I forgot to mention - one of the benefits in our package was $50 excursion credit per port.  That was also lost and they wouldn't even give us that.  Feels so pathetically petty.

The frustrating part of cruising is how easily things can change without prior notice.

However, if you did not take any NCL sponsored Shore Excursions, they would only owe you any funds for excursions that you had pre-purchase, but had ended-up being cancelled. Just like Non-Refundable OBC would not entitle you to any refunds!

• Like 4

"Life happens!"

At least you were/are all safe.

It could have been otherwise.

But really, you are complaining that NCL wants "...to hide behind T&Cs..."?

What, exactly, do you think their written Terms and Conditions are for?  Presumably, some of it is so it is unambiguous (hopefully) what will happen, or what might happen if...

I am sure that NCL was not happy about the changes.  Needing - on short notice - to find other ports that are available (and aren't affected or possibly affected by whatever the problem is) isn't like just calling a different restaurant and asking if they have any availability for an extra table.  And it is exceedingly unlikely that they are enjoying knowing that almost all of the passengers will be quite disappointed or upset, or worse...

Yes, they *could* have given a credit of some sort to each passenger.  But these days, the cruise lines (many travel vendors) are barely keeping their heads above water (uh, thank goodness...!).

And this was definitely not something that resulted from NCL's own actions or inactions, unless they have powers that we, at least, don't yet comprehend.

How about being glad that NCL made a choice to keep the ship out of harm's way, rather than to "trying to keep to the original itinerary", etc., and risk... whatever...

(Note:  There are occasionally complaints here on CC about rough seas/weather, and "why didn't the ship take a different route to avoid that bad weather!?" or such.)

Yes, it was a disappointment.  No question about that.

But it's hurricane season.

And even outside of "hurricane season", other "things can happen".

"Life happens!"

GC

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

"Life happens!"

At least you were/are all safe.

It could have been otherwise.

But really, you are complaining that NCL wants "...to hide behind T&Cs..."?

What, exactly, do you think their written Terms and Conditions are for?  Presumably, some of it is so it is unambiguous (hopefully) what will happen, or what might happen if...

I am sure that NCL was not happy about the changes.  Needing - on short notice - to find other ports that are available (and aren't affected or possibly affected by whatever the problem is) isn't like just calling a different restaurant and asking if they have any availability for an extra table.  And it is exceedingly unlikely that they are enjoying knowing that almost all of the passengers will be quite disappointed or upset, or worse...

Yes, they *could* have given a credit of some sort to each passenger.  But these days, the cruise lines (many travel vendors) are barely keeping their heads above water (uh, thank goodness...!).

And this was definitely not something that resulted from NCL's own actions or inactions, unless they have powers that we, at least, don't yet comprehend.

How about being glad that NCL made a choice to keep the ship out of harm's way, rather than to "trying to keep to the original itinerary", etc., and risk... whatever...

(Note:  There are occasionally complaints here on CC about rough seas/weather, and "why didn't the ship take a different route to avoid that bad weather!?" or such.)

"Life happens!"

GC

Until it happens to you…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, tony s said:

Until it happens to you…

Nope. Not my family. We roll with the punches, find the good in the bad and be grateful that we are on vacation,  where ever it ends up being. When we book a cruise, we go in fully understanding that the vacation we book may not be the vacation we get, especially in hurricane season. We enter into the contract with the cruise line, accept the terms and always get the insurance. The insurance is there the help level the playing field with cruise line. I bet the NCL isn't the only cruise line that had an iternary change for whenever the OP's cruise was.

• Like 14

3 hours ago, ogredave said:

Nassau - this is a nice port, lots more excursions, Atlantis, etc.  We got here late 10:20 AM instead of 10 AM, but our excursion was planned for 1 PM. 

I was reading the story until you mentioned a 20 minute delay on an arrival. ps, relax your on vacation.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I acknowledged that they are within their rights to change ports as I mentioned T&C's twice.  What I disagree with is the lack of notice and options.  I find it odd that anyone would want to pay thousand/s as a couple/family and think this is an acceptable way of doing business.

The excursion issue is totally within their control.  There wasn't any hurricane in Nassau.  That's a crappy partner and the customers ate the loss on NCL's behalf.  That's not right. 

If my contractor picks someone who doesn't deliver on work done to my house and it causes delays or worse additional fees, then I expect them to find someone to finish the job or make up for it somehow.  My opportunity cost shouldn't be worthless.

2 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

How about being given a choice?

2 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

"Life happens!"

GC

There wasn't any hurricane in Nassau.

Edited by ogredave
multiquote

2 hours ago, dolfan1980 said:

The idea that you think Nassau is the best destination is brutal, I don't even want to get off the ship there anymore really other than go for a little walk.

I agree, but out of the ports we got, it was the best one.  It's not the greatest, but in terms of excursions it has like 3x the offerings of any other port.

It's also a 20 min walk round trip just to get to Nassau from the ship, barring lines and security checks.  Thus excursion. 

46 minutes ago, glentally said:

I was reading the story until you mentioned a 20 minute delay on an arrival. ps, relax your on vacation.

We were trying to get off the ship to get in a little bit of time before the 1 PM excursion.  We did that, but 20 minutes out of 2 -2.5 hours is substantial, until it was totally pointless altogether by the cancellation.

Edited by ogredave

By the "ever"s in the title, it is clear that this was a huge outlier and not the norm.

Before this, what did you consider to be your worst cruise and why?

Before this, what did you consider to be your worst vacation and why?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1