Queen Victoria Along the Atlantic Coast V228

photosg

Friday was another slightly bouncey day heading back up the bay of Bay of Biscay but once we rounded the corner things settled down again.

Two of us like the feeling of actually being on a ship but another has to take medication. 

Saturday we were in Cherbourg which almost had too much to see.

The ship docks right next to the Cite de la Mer so it’s an easy choice.

Found the submarine very interesting. 70 days underwater sleeping next to nuclear warheads and a nuclear reactor!

The Titanic “experience” was well done but I couldn’t handle the emotional part (as in I had strong negative feelings) so I had to skim over some bits.

I did the aquarium last in case I didn’t have time but it had more informative and high-tech interactive multi-sensory displays than actual live creatures. I’m a big fan of aquaria but having been to the one in Lisbon recently, in May, this one was nothing to write home about.

E2E31297-206D-425B-B369-46EEC1204779.thumb.jpeg.df552fce4b0081cc9c56fd55ffdee8b6.jpeg

we had to disembark through the old baggage hall which had some interactive projections on the side wall.

6A009FFC-94E7-48FD-91A5-57E3CE723693.thumb.jpeg.62fc08d52655629b5e4d5845794bb460.jpeg

Live seafood, cheese, bread and all sorts of vegetables on sale at the market. (Was told that the veggies are twice the price they are in the UK.)

08145138-AF3C-43BF-815D-859108CA8B08.thumb.jpeg.e05af308cc0c67d791e8abc835a4ae20.jpeg

78199A27-BD98-4768-A74C-DBBFD5BFBBC1.thumb.jpeg.551eed3dcc35ce8c762f0b459ed34225.jpeg

1D1A3063-FE90-44E6-B3EC-B80DDF5FE92C.thumb.jpeg.3852eb7f86fdcbc0124600af945c1422.jpeg

6EC44EC9-E4E2-4717-B3DF-5DC63288575C.thumb.jpeg.62ca91cc2d60c31e08c90420bd91083b.jpeg

The submarine was visible from deck 10.

• Like 1

Oops, I lost my post to gremlins again!

I was up very early because we went back two hours between Cherbourg and Southampton.

After dinner we had Lisa-Marie Holmes in the theatre followed by the Barricade Boys in the Queen’s Room. They managed to pull a huge and very appreciative crowd and the dance floor was also very active. A great way to end the cruise.

it’s now after breakfast and I’m sitting in my cabin waiting for my disembarkation time. Have to say this is much nicer than having to lug your overnight case to breakfast with you and also allows for a change and wash up after breakfast.

An update about the mask wearing among the staff. After a day or two of increasing masklessness I noticed many started to wear their masks again and mask wearing among staff is more than 90%. So I’m wondering if they know more about covid on board than the passengers do.

There is definitely covid on board as my cabin is next to the four isolation cabins on my deck. I see a PPE swathed swabber in the morning and food trays left outside the doors.

In about 24h I will be back in Singapore and will be able to post a few more photos and quite a few more thoughts.

I feel like a new person after these 19 nights on board. I’m ready to go home but I could definitely do 2 more nights, maybe another whole week. Everyone that I have met has been so gracious so I  feel that I have better manners now than 3 weeks ago.

Unusually I am disembarking with nothing booked on Cunard to look forward to but I am booked for Celebrity Beyond in May.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Welcome back to Southampton again, are you staying on this time?

Just a few hours in Southampton before heading to Heathrow and our overnight flight back to hot and humid Singapore.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, photosg said:

Just a few hours in Southampton before heading to Heathrow and our overnight flight back to hot and humid Singapore.

Have a good journey home and thanks again for your posts and great photographs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, photosg said:

Safe travels home, @photosg.  We've really enjoyed your contributions from your voyage.  They have been very helpful for our QM2 Norway itinerary starting Tuesday.  We arrived in London this weekend after the flights from Australia via Singapore.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, sfred said:

Safe travels home, @photosg.  We've really enjoyed your contributions from your voyage.  They have been very helpful for our QM2 Norway itinerary starting Tuesday.  We arrived in London this weekend after the flights from Australia via Singapore.

Safe travels @sfred. I hope you'll 'take us' on your voyage with you?

@photosg I'd like to reiterate the thanks others have expressed for your generous commentary and wonderful photographs. I hope you re-acclimatise quickly to life at home.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Safe travels @sfred. I hope you'll 'take us' on your voyage with you?

Thanks @LittleFish1976.  I won't be able to come close to the great photos that @photosgmanaged.  But I am happy to try to answer any questions that anyone has.  There are several others on this QM2 voyage also, like @Tonopah and @TheOldBear, so we should get a good range of experiences and @TheOldBear has already started a thread.  We're in Britannia Club for the first time on QM2 so are looking forward to trying that out.

• Like 4