Drink package cost Alaska Cruise

Theo1429

I agree that this is a very subjective question but I will tell you from personal experience, we felt it was worth it. We worried about the same thing when we went to Alaska. Since the ports are often early mornings, we were concerned we wouldn't utilize Cheers much. We definitely did!

We loved being able to have speciality coffee with Bailey's or other alcohols added while sitting out on the serenity deck watching the beautiful scenery. We also always had a pre-dinner drink from the Alchemy, a glass of wine at dinner, and at least 1-2 drinks most nights after dinner.  Combine that with the multiple trips to the coffee shop and  always grabbing bottled waters with our drinks, it added up. 🙂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mz-s said:

It's simple math, use the calculator and see if it's worth it to you. There is no way I would pay it but I am not you.

I'm retired and I try too enjoy life after 41 years of work (20yrs Navy, 21 with USPS). We plan.

I might be the only one here, but for me, it's not worth the cost of the package. At $59.95/day, that's roughly 5-6 cocktails a day just to break even, which is a lot for me, and I'm not a coffee or soda drinker. I'm just fine with a case (or two for longer cruises) of water ordered to my room, to which I sometimes add powdered drink packets brought onboard, and then I'll bring a refillable water bottle to carry with me.

• Like 2

Everyone is unique but Cheers only works for us on sea day intensive short cruises in the Bahamas/Caribbean.  Otherwise I need to keep my alcohol consumption down to maximize my experience.  Our most typical 'go to' is a wine package and a couple drinks per day paid by S&S. Sometimes we get a vodka mixer package for the room.

11 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

It was for me in Alaska. I didn't do Miracle. I was on Splendor. I don't know what your itinerary is but if you have The night time Canada stop and Tracy Arm, those are basically two more sea days.

Miracle has the same itinerary

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

To put it in perspective, that's 93 $15 cocktails. 

This debate has been discussed ad  nauseum on so many different threads I have lost count.

The bottom line is that if you're a light drinker who has to take into account whether a certain day is at sea or in a port, then don't buy Cheers.  If you're a teetotaler, obviously don't buy Cheers.  If you're an above average drinker that likes to imbibe while on vacation, then save money, enjoy your time at sea and good luck getting a seat at Alchemy.

1 hour ago, ray98 said:

So 4.6 drinks per day to put it into perspective. 

Yeah, if you enjoy the more expensive drinks, it's "easier" to break even with Cheers.

And I should note, we always get Cheers, because we'll always have at least 4 or 5 drinks at some combo of Alchemy, Brass Magnolia, Steakhouse wine list, or similar, on any given day, port day or not, plus a few or more elsewhere (even if they are "watered down frozen drinks from a Lido bar").

But I know plenty of people who would be better off just ordering a la carte - they simply don't imbibe enough to warrant it.

Trying to figure this out myself as I am sharing a room with two lifelong girlfriends - one drinks a lot of beer, one enjoys her wine and occasional drink and me, I am a soda drinker and love a virgin drink but don't drink any alcohol.  Since we're all sharing a cabin, if one or two buy the package, then the third has to buy it too.  One has never sailed so she doesn't really know how much she would drink so the calculator is great bc I can send it to them and see if it's worth it for us all Majority rules I supposed.. 🙂 

6 hours ago, sternfanla said:

My wife and I are doing a 16 day Panama Canal Cruise and we will be purchasing the drink package.

we don't want to deal with a possible shock of a bar bill. Pay upfront and forget about it.

Amen

19 hours ago, ray98 said:

So 4.6 drinks per day to put it into perspective. 

Two different ways to look at it. 4.6 drinks is a great way to oversimplify it. I mean, who couldn't do that in one day? But how many couples will both do it, every day, with the most expensive drinks on the ship? 

That's why I posted 93 cocktails. That's a real number vs 4.6.