Diverticulosis

Oakman58

Diverticulosis is relatively common in older folks and my wife is one of those folks.  I’ve been looking at the website and the App and I can’t find anywhere that I can inform Princess of her condition.  She can’t eat food that contains seeds or nuts of any type, poppy, sesame, tomato, peanuts, almonds, etc.  This is not an allergy.  Any direction on how to notify Princess would be appreciated.

4 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

Diverticulosis is relatively common in older folks and my wife is one of those folks.  I’ve been looking at the website and the App and I can’t find anywhere that I can inform Princess of her condition.  She can’t eat food that contains seeds or nuts of any type, poppy, sesame, tomato, peanuts, almonds, etc.  This is not an allergy.  Any direction on how to notify Princess would be appreciated.

Just talk to the head waiter and they can preview the next nights dinner and make accommodations. The first night may be an issue

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

If she can't eat them for health reasons, then treat them like an allergy.  Enter them as allergies with Princess AND make sure to talk to the Head Waiter as well.   The advice given by memoak is good.  They can make accomodations to the following night menu ahead of time for you.

You can contact the Princess Dietary Needs Dept. at this email address with your Booking number, names and date of sailing.  They will get back to you on what dietary needs you require.
dietaryrequest@princesscruises.com

Edited by iamaqt2
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

Please find a Gastroenterologist who is actually up to date with the latest (10-15 year old now) research.  There is no association between seed/nut ingestion and Diverticulitis in individuals with diverticulosis. The most important thing will be maintaining hydration, and fiber intake (both can be difficult on a cruise with all the alcohol, and unhealthy eating).  

If she would rather not eat them, I would just notify the waiter....if these items are ground up and cooked (ie. tomato sauce or a strawberry compote)  they should be of no concern.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, iamaqt2 said:

If she can't eat them for health reasons, then treat them like an allergy.  Enter them as allergies with Princess AND make sure to talk to the Head Waiter as well. 

That might eliminate all foods cooked in the area where nuts are used in the galley  and limit her diet considerably and unnecessarily. 

• Like 3

My wife and I know all about high fiber and hydration.  I have no idea who did the study and what folks were studied, but I know if she ingests popcorn, poppy seeds, or sesame seeds, etc. she will get a major flare up regardless of how much water and fiber in her diet.  A high fiber diet and water is all fine and dandy but it won’t stop a flareup in my wife’s system.  We are both in our 70’s and have been married for 48 years so I’m speaking from our personal experience.  The last thing my wife wants is a flareup on our 16 day Hawaiian cruise.

Thanks to iamaqt2 for the email address.  I will be writing princess today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Oakman58 said:

My wife and I know all about high fiber and hydration.  I have no idea who did the study and what folks were studied, but I know if she ingests popcorn, poppy seeds, or sesame seeds, etc. she will get a major flare up regardless of how much water and fiber in her diet.  A high fiber diet and water is all fine and dandy but it won’t stop a flareup in my wife’s system.  We are both in our 70’s and have been married for 48 years so I’m speaking from our personal experience.  The last thing my wife wants is a flareup on our 16 day Hawaiian cruise.

Thanks to iamaqt2 for the email address.  I will be writing princess today.

Same with my hubby.  Don't care what the "new" studies show, we know he flares up when he eats nuts or seeds and especially popcorn.  I actually hadn't thought about listing this as an allergy and will be sure to do so.  Thank you for bringing this up!  

• Like 3