Great News for Venice Cruisers

IWantToLiveOverTheSea

Oceania just announced on their Facebook page that they've received permission for Sirena and Nautica to dock on the western shore of the lagoon in Venice.  This will make a LOT of people happy.    

Here's the announcement:

We’re excited to announce that our 650 guest Sirena and Nautica will be returning to Venice in 2023 and 2024. Docking on the western shore of the Venetian Lagoon, travelers will be just a short shuttle bus ride from all the magnificent history and sites of the fabled city of Venice.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No, but I'm wondering if it's at the commercial port of Fusina/Maghera, which Viking Cruises used a bit before they switched to other locations farther away.  Fusina is a bus ride from Venice, but from what I read, not exactly a short bus ride. 

I really don't know where the lagoon starts and ends, so it's hard for me to speculate!  And the above IS all speculation on my part.  

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

17 minutes ago, nursinadream said:

I'd like to find the Oceania Cruises facebook page.

Thanks, Deb

You need to search for it on Facebook.  CC doesn't allow Facebook links.  It's an easy search.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

Drat! I booked a solo veranda cabin in September 2024 that disembarks in “Venice”. 
not to worry, lemonade out of lemons. I plan on extending my vacation a few days using reward points at a hotel in Venice. I look forward to my return to my favorite city on this planet, although I suspect it might have changed in the last 40 years since I’ve been there.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Drat! I booked a solo veranda cabin in September 2024 that disembarks in “Venice”. 
not to worry, lemonade out of lemons. I plan on extending my vacation a few days using reward points at a hotel in Venice. I look forward to my return to my favorite city on this planet, although I suspect it might have changed in the last 40 years since I’ve been there.

Venice is timeless, apart from the station and the vehicle bridge(not sure when they were built) I doubt it will be that different… it’s my favourite city as well 🙂

I am always ready for a few days aimless wandering in Venice - the only way to see it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My interpretation of the location would be the Fusina ferry terminal.  It appears that the port authority has finished the docking space for two additional (small/midsize) ships there.  Most likely it will be "secure" shuttle from dockside to/from the terminal in Marittima, with checkin and baggage handling done at Marittima, as Fusina doesn't yet have provision for handling cruise ship passengers at the docks.

I'd probably allow 40 minutes for the bus ride.  It's workable for cruises starting or ending in Venice, but I don't think I'd like as an intermediate port.

Strictly speaking, the term "Western Shore" could also mean Chioggia, which is quite a bit further away, but I doubt that would be the case here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2022 at 7:40 PM, PhD-iva said:

Our Vista cruise May 20th was to start in Venice but was changed to Trieste. We arrive at VCE 3 days early. Like you we love Venice and are using reward points to stay there. Lots and lots of points, fortunately accumulated during the pandemic shutdown. Staying at the beyond marvelous Gritti Palace (do YouTube that!) on the Grand Canal and near Plaza de Marco.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChadnKate said:

Our Vista cruise May 20th was to start in Venice but was changed to Trieste. We arrive at VCE 3 days early. Like you we love Venice and are using reward points to stay there. Lots and lots of points, fortunately accumulated during the pandemic shutdown. Staying at the beyond marvelous Gritti Palace (do YouTube that!) on the Grand Canal and near Plaza de Marco.

We stayed at Gritti Palace on points prior to our cruise in 2018 & felt very spoiled. Got upgraded to a 3 room suite that is listed at 13K+ Euro/night. Best breakfast ever. Great location. Worth the splurge to take water taxi from airport-they have their own dock. You’ll have a great time!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Vertygo said:

We stayed at Gritti Palace on points prior to our cruise in 2018 & felt very spoiled. Got upgraded to a 3 room suite that is listed at 13K+ Euro/night. Best breakfast ever. Great location. Worth the splurge to take water taxi from airport-they have their own dock. You’ll have a great time!!

With good weather we’ll have breakfast and dinner most days there on their terrace restaurant on the Grand Canal.  Will book theor water taxi service from VCE and have Blacklane’s service take us to Trieste. Now we just need Vista to sail on the 20th. 
Can’t  begin to measure the excitement of seeing what Oceania’s Vista will offer. Also have a TA on it later next year. 

• Like 2

Aloha. Excellent news! We have sailed on RClass but with princess. Nothing compares in my opinion to sailing into Venice which we have been blessed to do several times. New York my hometown ranks second and Honolulu my second and new home ranks third although many will say Sydney also.

Thank you for the news! Smooth sailing.

2 hours ago, LouChamp said:

Aloha. Excellent news! We have sailed on RClass but with princess. Nothing compares in my opinion to sailing into Venice which we have been blessed to do several times. New York my hometown ranks second and Honolulu my second and new home ranks third although many will say Sydney also.

Thank you for the news! Smooth sailing.

Agree with you - it's wonderful to sale into and out of Venice. But  certainly understand Venice being in dread of (and not in awe of) the huge cruise ships.  We've done that multiple times, even spent a week on the Uniworld ship sailing the lagoon and its islands. Actually our Uniworld ship was crashed into by a big and out of control MSC shop exactly a week later to the minute we disembarked! it. With Uniworld we had an amazing after-hours tour of St. Marks. 

On 10/25/2022 at 11:14 PM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

No, but I'm wondering if it's at the commercial port of Fusina/Maghera, which Viking Cruises used a bit before they switched to other locations farther away.  Fusina is a bus ride from Venice, but from what I read, not exactly a short bus ride. 

I really don't know where the lagoon starts and ends, so it's hard for me to speculate!  And the above IS all speculation on my part.  

I understand that there is a 30 minute ferry ride direct from Fusina to central Venice across the South lagoon.

44 minutes ago, frickwg said:

Hmmm.  Why don’t they give the real name of the port?

Is “Western shore of the lagoon in Venice” like Oakland being the Eastern shore of San Francisco Bay?

Or is that Sacramento??  San Jose???

The same way they state "Rome" when you dock at Civitavecchia which is 90 minutes from Rome, and they way they state "Florence" when you dock at Livorno, 90 minutes (or more) from Florence.

• Like 1

I received the following email dated 10/26/22 from Oceania concerning my cruise  (Nautica) which embarks in Venice in October 2023.

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Advisors,

We have an important update for your upcoming cruise, which was originally scheduled to embark in Trieste. Your voyage will now embark from Venice as the ship will dock in Fusina on the western shore of the Venetian Lagoon. 

Please take a moment to review these important notes below:

Arrival in Venice – if you are making independent air arrangements, the closest airport is the Venice Marco Polo International Airport. When arriving at Marco Polo, or if you are staying in the region prior to your cruise, you will proceed to the Venice Cruise Terminal, in Venice, to check in for your voyage. Please do not go directly to Fusina. 

Embarkation – Check-in will take place at the Venice Cruise Terminal located in the city of Venice. Here, you will check your luggage and go through the routine check-in procedures. You will then be transported to the ship in Fusina and the transfer time is approximately 30 minutes. 

If traveling independently to the Venice Cruise Terminal, the address is: Venezia Terminal Passeggeri, Fabbricato 248, 30135 Venezia VE, It

Transportation – the Venice Cruise Terminal will function as the central hub for transportation, and we will provide a regular schedule of shuttles to and from the Venice Cruise Terminal during the stay. All shore excursions and independent tour arrangements will dispatch from the Venice Cruise Terminal. No taxis or private cars are permitted to enter the berthing facility in Fusina. The approximate transport time between Fusina and the Venice Cruise Terminal is 30 minutes. 

From the Venice Cruise Terminal, a wide variety of water and ground transportation options are available. 

We look forward to providing you with a memorable cruise experience.

Warmest regards,

Carlos E. Ortega
Vice President, Guest Services

• Thanks 1

I have to say that I just don't understand the angst about Venice.  Like everyone on this board, I've been finding my own way to the dock from Nice to Monte Carlo, from Rome to Civitavecchia, from London to Southampton/Portsmouth for years.  Decades.  Not to  mention the routes on the US side to the best international airport.

It is what it is.  The cruise lines will find a way to get as close to Venice as they can, based on the size of the ship.  Sometimes that's Trieste, Sometimes it's Ravenna.  Sometimes it's closer, within the lagoon.  The local authorities decide what they want, and the cruise lines are beholden to it. And the Italian government being what it is, what they SAY will be possible (and when) and what is ultimately/actually possible can be two different things.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Viking Ocean ships were able to dock in the Fusina/Marghera area late last year or earlier this year.  From what I heard the procedure for embarkation was the same as what's described by Oceania above  - check in at the old Venice terminal and be taken by coach to the ship, a 30 minute ride.  

We did Venice to Venice on silversea this October. Sailed out of and into fusina. Had to check in at the cruise terminal in Venice. Not a very pleasant experience. The cruise terminal is very run down and checking in was chaotic, no one knew what was going on, bags randomly left outside. 40 min coach drive to fusina to board the ship. Same thing in reverse when we returned. Not a great way to start a cruise

9 hours ago, beardedshark said:

We did Venice to Venice on silversea this October. Sailed out of and into fusina. Had to check in at the cruise terminal in Venice. Not a very pleasant experience. The cruise terminal is very run down and checking in was chaotic, no one knew what was going on, bags randomly left outside. 40 min coach drive to fusina to board the ship. Same thing in reverse when we returned. Not a great way to start a cruise

We did a 'Venice' cruise from Ravenna on Azamara last month.  Much smoother than your description, plus we got to see two new places in the area:  Padua and Ravenna, both with amazing mosaics (and the opportunity to thank Saint Anthony in person for all the found items!)  Didn't miss actually seeing Venice for the third time...  Hope our next 'Venice' cruise is from Trieste, as we haven't seen that yet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2022 at 5:37 AM, Kate-AHF said:

I have to say that I just don't understand the angst about Venice.  Like everyone on this board, I've been finding my own way to the dock from Nice to Monte Carlo, from Rome to Civitavecchia, from London to Southampton/Portsmouth for years.  Decades.  Not to  mention the routes on the US side to the best international airport.

It is what it is.  The cruise lines will find a way to get as close to Venice as they can, based on the size of the ship.  Sometimes that's Trieste, Sometimes it's Ravenna.  Sometimes it's closer, within the lagoon.  The local authorities decide what they want, and the cruise lines are beholden to it. And the Italian government being what it is, what they SAY will be possible (and when) and what is ultimately/actually possible can be two different things.

Well, hello K & D 🙂  Just noticed your post.  I agree with all your comments.  Just follow your nose and Oceania's instructions.  Better still, arrive in La Serenissima a few days early, and immerse yourself in its wonders.  There are always transport options online or through your TA to arrive at your waiting ship. 

We loved catching up with you on Sirena in September, even if Covid joined us in our suite on the penultimate day, and we had to miss our planned meeting.  I have to say Oceania's care was exemplary.  Isolation for two days wasn't onerous, and the medical staff called by twice in each day to test vitals and immediately issued antivirals, antibiotics and decongestant (I think the CMO must have been Irish, being sure to be sure).  Sadly, it meant we couldn't board QE for the much-awaited long voyage home from Barcelona, but we were issued cruise credits for the total amount, and we are using them very soon, on QE for three weeks from Sydney return, via New Zealand and Tasmania.  Maybe one day we'll catch up and enjoy that coffee we were so looking forward to. 

Take care,

Linda and Mario

• Like 2