GTY Balcony - Asking for a cabin re-assignment

We were just issued our GTY Balcony cabin on the Radiance of the Seas and it’s a category 3D.  When requesting to get reassigned to a different room, does the reassigned room have to be in the same category?

Also, what is the category ranking?  Is a 1B, 2B or 3B a higher or lower category (that’s all the balcony categories that’s left).

5 minutes ago, 1bravesfan said:

We were just issued our GTY Balcony cabin on the Radiance of the Seas and it’s a category 3D.  When requesting to get reassigned to a different room, does the reassigned room have to be in the same category?

Also, what is the category ranking?  Is a 1B, 2B or 3B a higher or lower category (that’s all the balcony categories that’s left).

Yes it has to be a 3D if you want to switch cabins

Not relevant for 1bravesfan this time, but it might be another time.

The category must be available for booking by a party of your size.  

For example, recently, my gty for a party of two was assigned to a cabin in a category with 3 guest capacity.  There were lots of vacant cabins in that category, but the cruiselines had not released them for booking by parties of two.  We were unable to switch.  Being denied is not a big deal, but a dud waste time trying.  Thus, I am sharing here so others know.

2 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Not relevant for 1bravesfan this time, but it might be another time.

The category must be available for booking by a party of your size.  

For example, recently, my gty for a party of two was assigned to a cabin in a category with 3 guest capacity.  There were lots of vacant cabins in that category, but the cruiselines had not released them for booking by parties of two.  We were unable to switch.  Being denied is not a big deal, but a dud waste time trying.  Thus, I am sharing here so others know.

Ran into the same issue for clients however having it escalated to resolutions and then revenue I was able to get the cabin moved.

1 hour ago, 1bravesfan said:

What's wrong with the location  where you were assigned?

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Ran into the same issue for clients however having it escalated to resolutions and then revenue I was able to get the cabin moved.

That’s new and wonderful to know.  We only went to resolutions.  So maybe if one is motivated you might get it moved.   In any case, it won’t be the easy swap it usually is.

Funny how thing work out, though.  I had wanted to swap that time because my assigned cabin was next to a blank space on the deck map.  That space turned out to be a ventilation area, so it was very quiet.  Our room had excellent AC (maybe being near the vent shaft helped🤷‍♀️).  In the end, I’m glad they did not let us switch, LOL.  We have booked a cabin on a sister ship adjacent to the same blank space.

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

What's wrong with the location  where you were assigned?

I was assigned Cabin 7644 which is an obstructed view.  Called customer service and was able to get moved to Cabin 7016 which seems to be a much much better cabin.

53 minutes ago, 1bravesfan said:

I was assigned Cabin 7644 which is an obstructed view.  Called customer service and was able to get moved to Cabin 7016 which seems to be a much much better cabin.

I think you might have been better off keeping what you had, the only obstruction you had was looking straight down along side the ship to the ocean.

The deck 7 midship obstructions is the top of the lifeboat covers which are just a little below the floor of your balcony. You could have looked straight out from your balcony and seen ALOT of ocean.

We like being on the back of the ship to because Windjammer and the Dining Rooms, Pools(mid ship) are below your cabin in the aft section.

Only things up front where your new cabins  are is the spa/gym and the theatre for shows. (Not into working out while on vacation)

Edited by Jimbo

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

I think you might have been better off keeping what you had, the only obstruction you had was looking straight down along side the ship to the ocean.

The deck 7 midship obstructions is the top of the lifeboat covers which are just a little below the floor of your balcony. You could have looked straight out from your balcony and seen ALOT of ocean.

We like being on the back of the ship to because Windjammer and the Dining Rooms, Pools(mid ship) are below your cabin in the aft section.

Only things up front where your new cabins  are is the spa/gym and the theatre for shows. (Not into working out while on vacation)

According to the agent I spoke to, the new cabin has a bigger balcony, there are no life boat obstructions and much quieter.  Hope he knew what he was talking about.

1 hour ago, 1bravesfan said:

According to the agent I spoke to, the new cabin has a bigger balcony, there are no life boat obstructions and much quieter.  Hope he knew what he was talking about.

Should be fine, the balcony will be a little larger, sound wise both cabins will be about the same since you have cabins above and below you. Like I said earlier life boat covers aren't an issue in less you plan  on bringing a fishing pole and fishing off your balcony.

Deck 7 Forward Balconies aren't as private though as the one you had........You could make some nice friends with your neighbors who are standing at the railing.

Post # 2 in the thread below.

Edited by Jimbo

21 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Should be fine, the balcony will be a little larger, sound wise both cabins will be about the same since you have cabins above and below you. Like I said earlier life boat covers aren't an issue in less you plan  on bringing a fishing pole and fishing off your balcony.

Deck 7 Forward Balconies aren't as private though as the one you had........You could make some nice friends with your neighbors who are standing at the railing.

Thanks for the info and the picture.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Yea, we had one of these balconies on the Serenade and Jewel.  Nice and roomy balconies, but we always wondered why RCI chose to cut off the partitions like in your photo?  WInd dynamics or something? Can't see any real passenger benefit except possibly for families across from one another?  So why? These 'open' balconies are only in the forward section of the ship if we remember.  BTW, the so called obstructed view is not a real issue for us anyway. It's a 'wing'-like covering over the tender boats and just 'below' the balcony.  Still plenty of sea to see straight out and over the 'wing'.  We enjoyed the roominess of these balconies though a little less private.  

• Thanks 1