Door unlock with Apple Watch?

FiremedicMike151

9 minutes ago, WIBadgerFan said:

Virgin has this with their wristband.  It is AWESOME.  I always have my Apple Watch and iPhone but the speed and ease of the Sailor's band is far better.  I wish every line had this.

I have Virgin on my bucket list. Virgin has an advantage. They have started relatively recently from scratch and can build out without having to retrofit thousands of cabins. 

Edited by Charles4515

On 10/27/2022 at 3:49 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

Like I was saying in another thread, the princess medallion being given to everyone is most likely the way RCG wants to go.  Also, I'd imagine 99% X passengers don't wear an apple watch so its extremely doubtful X would spend money to develop, deploy and service a watch app.  Additionally, if they created an app, that's one more thing the on board internet team will need to provide support for.

I agree with the medallion.  Princess definitely over shines RCG here.  I disagree about the Apple Watch or any mart watch.  Many people of all ages wear one.  Maybe not to use the apps but just as a watch.   

3 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

I agree with the medallion.  Princess definitely over shines RCG here.  I disagree about the Apple Watch or any mart watch.  Many people of all ages wear one.  Maybe not to use the apps but just as a watch.   

Sure, "many" people wear an apple watch, I agree there.  Just that you'll see many more wearing them on a carnival cruise than you would see on an X cruise; far closer to 3% of X passengers than 30%.

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Sure, "many" people wear an apple watch, I agree there.  Just that you'll see many more wearing them on a carnival cruise than you would see on an X cruise; far closer to 3% of X passengers than 30%.

I don’t know why you think that. I doubt the percentage of passengers on Carnival with an Apple Watch is much different than the percentage on Celebrity. Both of you are saying many. Many is relative. The answer many passengers are but not most passengers can both be correct. Which I think is the case. I think one thing to look at as far as cruise lines adapting a technology is momentum. There is momentum but I don’t see smartwatches ever being worn by most passengers. Many yes, most no. Right now it is probably 5% to 10%. No way 30% on either Carnival or Celebrity. The watches are being used for purposes beyond timekeeping, to enhance health and safety so I could see 30% wearing a smartwatch someday. I don’t think they will become as ubiquitous as smartphones. 

Edited by Charles4515

10 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

Careful what you wish for, the Princess Medallion is not universally loved by Princess passengers, many threads about this on Princess.  Plus it’s a tracking device, providing an incredible amount of real time data to the IT staff.  No matter the device this is the future. 

• Like 1

Someday the cabin doors may just eventually have facial recognition on the door to open it. Think about it, they already use this for so many things onboard the ship. The price will just have to eventually come down to have a camera at each door. 

6 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I don’t know why you think that. I doubt the percentage of passengers on Carnival with an Apple Watch is much different than the percentage on Celebrity. Both of you are saying many. Many is relative. The answer many passengers are but not most passengers can both be correct. Which I think is the case. I think one thing to look at as far as cruise lines adapting a technology is momentum. There is momentum but I don’t see smartwatches ever being worn by most passengers. Many yes, most no. Right now it is probably 5% to 10%. No way 30% on either Carnival or Celebrity. The watches are being used for purposes beyond timekeeping, to enhance health and safety so I could see 30% wearing a smartwatch someday. I don’t think they will become as ubiquitous as smartphones. 

You're the third person to quote me and share your prediction.  I most recently quoted a person who said a vague "many" and the person I quoted before that said 30% of X pax have them.  Since the restart, I've been on 9 X sailings and 2 CCL sailings.  I believe for X pax its less than 5% and the % was higher on CCL.  It's still an age thing where odds are Gen X/Y/Z are more likely to have them than the Boomers or the Silent Gen.

8 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Since the restart, I've been on 9 X sailings and 2 CCL sailings.  I believe for X pax its less than 5% and the % was higher on CCL.  It's still an age thing where odds are Gen X/Y/Z are more likely to have them than the Boomers or the Silent Gen.

I was wondering why you thought the % would be higher on Carnival. You were basing it on actual experience.  I have not done Carnival in years. I guess since Carnival passengers are younger the 30% is possible on Carnival although I doubt it is that high. A high percentage of the boomers I know have Apple Watches but they probably are not typical boomers. 

1 hour ago, MMsteffey said:

Careful what you wish for, the Princess Medallion is not universally loved by Princess passengers, many threads about this on Princess.  Plus it’s a tracking device, providing an incredible amount of real time data to the IT staff.  No matter the device this is the future. 

I used the Princess app with relative ease.  It worked better on a new ship where  the technology was built in during the design vs added during a dry dock.  When it works it works great.  I am appreciative of being able to order food and drinks without leaving my seat or standing in a line.  There are other nice features.  More technology is the wave of the future.  

For safety reason I understand the tracking but on the other hand I don't like being tracked but my phone is doing it as well.  Google is probably the most offensive with tracking you.  

14 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I was wondering why you thought the % would be higher on Carnival. You were basing it on actual experience.  I have not done Carnival in years. I guess since Carnival passengers are younger the 30% is possible on Carnival although I doubt it is that high. A high percentage of the boomers I know have Apple Watches but they probably are not typical boomers. 

To be clear, I never said 30%, I quoted someone who predicted that %.  I am saying the younger you are the higher odds they’ll be having a smartwatch.  These are predictions. 

12 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

To be clear, I never said 30%, I quoted someone who predicted that %.  I am saying the younger you are the higher odds they’ll be having a smartwatch.  These are predictions. 

Yes, I understood you were quoting someone else. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

We can agree to disagree unless you have actual data vs an opinion.  I have an upcoming cruise on the Beyond and will take notice on how many X customers are wearing a smart watch.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, crusinthrough said:

We can agree to disagree unless you have actual data vs an opinion.  I have an upcoming cruise on the Beyond and will take notice on how many X customers are wearing a smart watch.  

These are my direct observations based on 9 X sailings, I was just off the 15 night Millie and the ship had very few wearing them.  I was on the Mille 5 night over Feb where there was I’d guess 50 pax who were under 30, often their parents paid to bring their adult sons and daughters along, many of the youngins’ were indeed wearing them.

On 10/29/2022 at 9:06 AM, NutsAboutGolf said:

These are my direct observations based on 9 X sailings, I was just off the 15 night Millie and the ship had very few wearing them.  I was on the Mille 5 night over Feb where there was I’d guess 50 pax who were under 30, often their parents paid to bring their adult sons and daughters along, many of the youngins’ were indeed wearing them.

I wore mine and I'm 70.

On 10/27/2022 at 2:41 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

The better idea which is probably in works is more like Princess's approach, they give you a small device call the medallion which can be worn like a watch, pendent or tossed in your pocket.  That replaces your seapass and can open your cabin door or allow you buy something from the store.

I can't imagine many typical X passengers have the apple watch anyways.

Sounds like what’s inside a Disney Mickeyband. Yes, I would love that onboard. I don’t like carrying my phone everywhere on vacation. (Sundresses don’t have pockets 😞) Does the Seapass work for everything? I may have to break out all my old DCL lanyards.