Door unlock with Apple Watch?

FiremedicMike151

No, as there isn't an Celebrity app for the apple watch yet.  This would be very low on my technology wish list, I'd much rather have the option to order off my dinner off the app.  I know many which you could you click on a dinner menu item and see a picture of it.

2 hours ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

I see there’s a feature in the app to unlock my stateroom door.  Does this also work with my Apple Watch?  I don’t ever carry my phone on the ship..

My husband would love this option.  

• Like 1

I'll also add, I'm under the impression you would need to pay for an extra wifi device to connect the watch even if an app existed.  My apple watch was unusable when I left the phone in my stateroom and my best guess is this because you have to connect your watch as its own device to the wifi network. 

3 hours ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

I see there’s a feature in the app to unlock my stateroom door.  Does this also work with my Apple Watch?  I don’t ever carry my phone on the ship..

Go figure, there's a thread on it.  Basically you can't use your watch independently away from the phone unless you have both a cellular watch and reception (not much reception on the open seas and you'd most likely need to pay for an international plan and/or roaming).

3 hours ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

Before our cruise in September, I thought using my iPhone to unlock our cabin door would be cool/handy. (I also wear an Apple watch but never even thought about using it to do the same thing, but I like that idea.)

Anyway, I found that to use your mobile, you need to pull out your phone and unlock it (requiring either a fingerprint or face ID), launch the Celebrity app, and then hold it near the door... Bottom line: I found it easier to just use my SeaPass card.

Even if you could use your watch, there would still likely be some sort of additional step(s) to authenticate now. It won't be as simple "wave it near the door" thing, unfortunately, given Apple's emphasis on OS security these days.

BTW, I found the same thing to be true of the Celebrity app's "remote" feature to control your cabin TV. I found it easier/more functional to use the actual TV remote.

Hope this helps,

cjr

• Like 1

The better idea which is probably in works is more like Princess's approach, they give you a small device call the medallion which can be worn like a watch, pendent or tossed in your pocket.  That replaces your seapass and can open your cabin door or allow you buy something from the store.

I can't imagine many typical X passengers have the apple watch anyways.

1 hour ago, CNSfromHI said:

Before our cruise in September, I thought using my iPhone to unlock our cabin door would be cool/handy. (I also wear an Apple watch but never even thought about using it to do the same thing, but I like that idea.)

Anyway, I found that to use your mobile, you need to pull out your phone and unlock it (requiring either a fingerprint or face ID), launch the Celebrity app, and then hold it near the door... Bottom line: I found it easier to just use my SeaPass card.

Even if you could use your watch, there would still likely be some sort of additional step(s) to authenticate now. It won't be as simple "wave it near the door" thing, unfortunately, given Apple's emphasis on OS security these days.

BTW, I found the same thing to be true of the Celebrity app's "remote" feature to control your cabin TV. I found it easier/more functional to use the actual TV remote.

Hope this helps,

cjr

In the hotel industry it’s more practical since having the key on your phone allows you to bypass the front desk all together. Since the ship cabin locks already support contactless entry it probably wasn’t much more work to incorporate it into the app, but the application isn’t quite the same. Similar concept with the tv interface. 

I would enjoy being able to use my watch for purchases and entry, but until Apple works through the captive login issue on watches (which is just now being implemented on Apple tv’s) it probably won’t happen. Aside from that the watch would count as a second device and of course that doesn’t work well with existing WiFi packages for most. 

9 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

In the hotel industry it’s more practical since having the key on your phone allows you to bypass the front desk all together. Since the ship cabin locks already support contactless entry it probably wasn’t much more work to incorporate it into the app, but the application isn’t quite the same. Similar concept with the tv interface. 

I would enjoy being able to use my watch for purchases and entry, but until Apple works through the captive login issue on watches (which is just now being implemented on Apple tv’s) it probably won’t happen. Aside from that the watch would count as a second device and of course that doesn’t work well with existing WiFi packages for most. 

Like I was saying in another thread, the princess medallion being given to everyone is most likely the way RCG wants to go.  Also, I'd imagine 99% X passengers don't wear an apple watch so its extremely doubtful X would spend money to develop, deploy and service a watch app.  Additionally, if they created an app, that's one more thing the on board internet team will need to provide support for.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Like I was saying in another thread, the princess medallion being given to everyone is most likely the way RCG wants to go.  Also, I'd imagine 99% X passengers don't wear an apple watch so its extremely doubtful X would spend money to develop, deploy and service a watch app.  Additionally, if they created an app, that's one more thing the on board internet team will need to provide support for.

X am sure has priorities other than getting your phone or watch to open your door.  But with the website having a few problems - some of which have lasted for DECADES - hope they will by 2030 get the existing app to work.  My phone stays in the cabin.   The app is great for menus but do you want to carry your phone everywhere?

The Princess Medallion is ok as I can put it in my pocket, but prefer my Seapass card.  Works fine.  When it falls apart they give me a new one.  When (not if) I misplace it they give me a new one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

X am sure has priorities other than getting your phone or watch to open your door.  But with the website having a few problems - some of which have lasted for DECADES - hope they will by 2030 get the existing app to work.  My phone stays in the cabin.   The app is great for menus but do you want to carry your phone everywhere?

The Princess Medallion is ok as I can put it in my pocket, but prefer my Seapass card.  Works fine.  When it falls apart they give me a new one.  When (not if) I misplace it they give me a new one.

I'm younger than the average X passenger and do carry my phone everywhere as do most in GenY and GenZ.  X will need to attract the youngins' so its inevitable they will become more technological advanced.  With that being said, considering they can't even get the app to open the door all the time (many including myself have had issues where that function just stops working, have to go to guest services to fix it although someone did tell me the CC desk can as well), perhaps a medallion like device is the bridge before they can get the app functions working without issue.

I'm a Gen X X passenger and do carry my phone pretty much everywhere. I solved the problem of opening the cabin door with my phone by buying a phone case with a card slot in the back, so I just have to hold my phone up to the door lock! It's super handy for cruising and decreases the chances that I'll lose my card along the way!

15 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I will be very curious to see how many apple watches I see on my upcoming cruise. I would guess at least 30%, probably more, would have them based on my experience in real life, but I know the demographics are different on an X ship than, say, my office. That said, virtually all of the people over 50 at my workplace wear one.  Like I said, I will be looking onboard now.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

The better idea which is probably in works is more like Princess's approach, they give you a small device call the medallion which can be worn like a watch, pendent or tossed in your pocket.  That replaces your seapass and can open your cabin door or allow you buy something from the store.

I can't imagine many typical X passengers have the apple watch anyways.

The Apple Watch has an NFC chip which could be used to open door locks. Does not even require interent. I used may watch many times to open fare gates on the DC Metro with a transit pass that works the same way.  Much better than an app.  There are door locks that have NFC.  Celebrity would have to change all their door locks though. And add a key card to the digital wallet. Both iPhones and Android phones can do this too NFC tap, and other smartwatches so passengers doon't have to have an Apple Watch. Passengers could still have an NFC tap card too for unlocking cabin doors.

Edited by Charles4515

4 hours ago, aidanht said:

I will be very curious to see how many apple watches I see on my upcoming cruise. I would guess at least 30%, probably more, would have them based on my experience in real life, but I know the demographics are different on an X ship than, say, my office. That said, virtually all of the people over 50 at my workplace wear one.  Like I said, I will be looking onboard now.

It's very age related and most get to an point where the screen is too small to read.  30% seems comically high for X  where many don't even own a smartphone or keep it locked in their stateroom the entire sailing; maybe on a shorter holiday sailing on Carnival it could be around a third.

Just now, NutsAboutGolf said:

It's very age related and most get to an point where the screen is too small to read.  30% seems comically high for X  where many don't even own a smartphone or keep it locked in their stateroom the entire sailing; maybe on a shorter holiday sailing on Carnival it could be around a third.

This could be done without a watch or phone. Think Apple Pay and Samsung Pay.contactless.  I have all my credit cards on Apple Pay but all my recent credit  cards have an NFC chip and can directly tap the terminal to pay. Those who don't want to use a watch or phone could still have a plastic card or wristband.

22 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The Apple Watch has an NFC chip which could be used to open door locks. Does not even require interent. I used may watch many times to open fare gates on the DC Metro with a transit pass that works the same way.  Much better than an app.  There are door locks that have NFC.  Celebrity would have to change all their door locks though. 

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

This could be done without a watch or phone. Think Apple Pay and Samsung Pay.contactless.  I have all my credit cards on Apple Pay but all my recent credit  cards have an NFC chip and can directly tap the terminal to pay. Those who don't want to use a watch or phone could still have a plastic card or wristband.

The hardware capability is there, but they would need to create, maintain and service an app which costs money for a minimal tech improvement.  If X waved their magic wand that you get any technological improvements you want, the apple watch opening the door would be very low on my list and best guess the same for others.  I suppose the way to do it would be deploy apple watch capability along side with android watch capability and to provide a medallion like device for those who don't have a smartwatch.  Top of my tech list would be ordering food and drinks in the app which will probably inevitably happen within the next decade.  Next would be the ability to be added to the specialty dining reservations waitlist

16 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

The hardware capability is there, but they would need to create, maintain and service an app which costs money for a minimal tech improvement. 

They would not need an app. NFC is already built into recent watches and phones. They would need software on their computers to support. That already has been developed. That would have a cost. 

5 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

They would not need an app. NFC is already built into recent watches and phones. They would need software on their computers to support. That already has been developed. That would have a cost. 

Sounds good, suggest it on your next sailing survey.

27 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Top of my tech list would be ordering food and drinks in the app which will probably inevitably happen within the next decade.  Next would be the ability to be added to the specialty dining reservations waitlist

They could have done that. Such POS exists and can be incorperated in their app. That they have not does not give much  optimism in Celebrity's capabilities. I made a pickup order with Uber Eats last night and it said 15 minutes and when I got there in 15 minutes it was on the takeout shelf. 

15 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Sounds good, suggest it on your next sailing survey.

OP could do that. To me it would be a nice to have but not a must have. If the door could recognize my voice or face  and open on request that would be even better using a device  but I won't suggest that either. I turn lights on and off by voice assistant and could do the same with my door lock but it is a low priority to me so I have not. Or I could also install an  NFC or keypad door lock. But I have not. . 

Edited by Charles4515

35 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Virgin has this with their wristband.  It is AWESOME.  I always have my Apple Watch and iPhone but the speed and ease of the Sailor's band is far better.  I wish every line had this.