All shore excursions sold out?

Electricx

5 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Hawaii is so easy to on your own with some early planning.  

We speak (American) English.

We are happy to take your dollars (no exchange rate for Americans).

Our gas is cheaper than California.

The weather is wonderful.  You might even see a rainbow (anuenue) if you are lucky.

Food is ono-licious. 
We drive on the “correct” side of the road.

I loved all three trips to the Islands. Very easy to get around and not a grouch to be found :). Beautiful rainbows when we have been.

We also did use Robert's Hawaii for some excursions. Could have done Pearl Harbor on our own but they had Star & Stripes tour that covered everything we wanted to do, well worth what we paid, for us.

On 10/29/2022 at 9:50 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

If you just want to walk around the museums and view the Memorial from a distance, then nothing more is required.  You will need a ticket for the movie, the launch, and to step on to the Memorial.

No - you don't need a ticket.  My Dad and I did the water shuttle over to the Arizona Memorial without tickets, for only the cost of a TheBus pass ($9 each).  We set out at about 11 am, on the #20 TheBus, and got to the Park around 12:30.  We had our pack lunch, and then due to a lack of planning ahead, my mom waited outside with our backpacks, because we weren't gonna pay $7 per bag at the bag check.  If you have a clear plastic bag, you can take that in, but nothing else, not even a small purse or camera pouch.  But we saw the museum, and the movie, and paid our respects on the Memorial.  The water shuttle leaves every 15 minutes, and carries a pretty big group.  On busier days (we were there mid January, not busy at all), you may need to wait a bit longer than we did (10 minutes or so) but I don't think you will be shut out completely if you don't have them. That said, reservations are helpful if you can get them. While TheBus drops you off in front of the park, you have to go out to the main road and off to your left to get TheBus back to Waikiki.

I also recommend Roberts Hawaii - they are in charge of doing the optional motorcoach transportation up to The Polynesian Cultural centre, and our driver was very talkative, pointing out various landmarks, telling fun stories, and so forth. 

We have the same experience in respect to an upcoming cruise this October on Regal Princess.  A tour of the Normandy beaches was quickly sold out.  However, just recently Princess added several more buses to the tour, and we have been now been able to book a D-Day Tour.

Keep checking, hopefully Princess will add more tours. 

On 2/5/2023 at 9:43 PM, Thrak said:

I have absolutely no idea why I referenced the Oklahoma a couple of times above. I obviously meant the Arizona. It must have been an old man brain fart. My apologies to all.

On 2/5/2023 at 10:23 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

Hey...we've all been there! 🙄

Old enough to remember this lyric:

Well I never been to heaven

But I been to Oklahoma

Well they tell me I was born there

But I really don't remember

In Oklahoma, not Arizona

What does it matter

What does it matter

9 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

But I been to Oklahoma

In Oklahoma, not Arizona

What does it matter

What does it matter

Written by Hoyt Axton who wrote a number of songs that were made famous by other people. How about old enough to remember Greenback Dollar made famous by the Kingston Trio but which was also written by Hoyt Axton.

54 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

But I been to Oklahoma

In Oklahoma, not Arizona

What does it matter

What does it matter

I'm more in tune with the version by Three Dog Night...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I'm more in tune with the version by Three Dog Night...

Yes, most folks are. Hoyt Axton wrote it and released it in 1971 on his album Joy to the World. He performed it with Three Dog Night and they released it - later in 1971 - on their album Harmony. He also wrote Never Been to Spain which was also made famous by Three Dog Night.

Most folks aren't familiar with Hoyt Axton though some remember him as the father who bought the  Mogwai known as Gizmo as a gift for his son in the movie Gremlins.

Edited by Thrak

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

Still in a crib when that one came out!

Released in 1962. Was a hit in 1963.

Note: We now return you to the original thread. Sorry for the diversion.

Edited by Thrak