FYI. Arriving at San Diego Cruise port important information

lais

29 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I just don’t understand getting there at 10:30.  If my boarding time is 11:30 I will be there at 11:30.  Standing in one spot without moving is not comfortable for me so I won’t do it.

Do you or @DAllenTCY have any “final” numbers boarding today?  How about preliminary numbers for next week?  I do understand everything is subject to change.  Thanks.

Once you go through all the checkin stations and security, you will be directed to a sitting area (lots of chairs available).  Sometimes they have cookies/snacks and water/lemonade.  We usually spend the time visiting with others seated near us, who are also excited to be starting a vacation (met some very nice people this way).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, lstrong said:

We are 4* mariners and have requested wheelchair embarkation for my husband.

When wheelchair assistance is needed for embarkation, all status that might have gained you some priority goes out the window. 
Your name is taken, and people are boarded based on first come, first served. 

Boarding for wheelchair passengers cannot start before 11:30 since the 'pushers' are at lunch until then. On some ships there don't seem to be too many wheelchairs or pushers, which slows down the process. The more people who need assistance, the longer it will take. 

Heading out on the Koningsdam on November 19 and traveling with friends.  Just received our boarding passes and have a couple of questions.

We’re 3 star Mariners and the folks we’re traveling with have never sailed with HAL.  They received a boarding time of 12:30 pm, we got 2:30 pm (!).  Are boarding times assigned based on where folks are staying on the ship?  We’re on the Sun deck, others on deck 4, 7 and 8.  Irks me a bit that there doesn’t seem to be a priority to returning cruisers.

We want to board together—thinking about trying to board with them at 12:30.  Possible?  Or should we all just wait until 2:30?

We’ve taken a few cruises out of San Diego but that was when the ships were sailing at 60% capacity!  Our upcoming cruise is sold out so expect it to be pretty busy during embarkation!

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

We’re 3 star Mariners and the folks we’re traveling with have never sailed with HAL.  They received a boarding time of 12:30 pm, we got 2:30 pm (!).  Are boarding times assigned based on where folks are staying on the ship?  We’re on the Sun deck, others on deck 4, 7 and 8.  Irks me a bit that there doesn’t seem to be a priority to returning cruisers.

No rhyme or reason as to how boarding times are assigned. Even "Priority boarding" can receive a later time.

Also, since Nov. 19 is still almost two weeks out, your boarding time may change again.

Edited by HAL4NOW

1 hour ago, disneyochem said:

Heading out on the Koningsdam on November 19 and traveling with friends.  Just received our boarding passes and have a couple of questions.

We want to board together—thinking about trying to board with them at 12:30.  Possible?  Or should we all just wait until 2:30?

We’ve taken a few cruises out of San Diego but that was when the ships were sailing at 60% capacity!  Our upcoming cruise is sold out so expect it to be pretty busy during embarkation!

Thanks!

I think it’s pretty clear they don’t value long term customers from the threads I see.  I’m a 5 star so I get it.  I’m a rule follower so I wouldn’t show up until the later time.  People on this thread that actually work at this port are saying they will be checking boarding times.  It’s not a free for all like it is in Florida.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Thanks 1

It was a big mess at the port yesterday.   We had a full ship and boarding was delayed.  100’s of people showed up way before their boarding time and would not take advice to find a place to sit in the nearby shaded area or go check out the events close by  which created the biggest mess I have ever seen at the port.

if you like to stand in the hot sun for hours then arrive early otherwise stash your luggage at your hotel and go enjoy this beautiful city until your boarding time 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

52 minutes ago, lais said:

It was a big mess at the port yesterday.   We had a full ship and boarding was delayed.  100’s of people showed up way before their boarding time and would not take advice to find a place to sit in the nearby shaded area or go check out the events close by  which created the biggest mess I have ever seen at the port.

if you like to stand in the hot sun for hours then arrive early otherwise stash your luggage at your hotel and go enjoy this beautiful city until your boarding time 

Plus it is Fleet Week in San Diego this weekend.

3 minutes ago, suznjune said:

If I come at the correct time and lots of people are there in line too early, how do I get past them to check in? Will staff make them get out of line or what?

We call by arrival time.  The early people have to wait.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lais said:

Thank you for the information.  That's the problem with so many people telling others to show up whenever they feel like it.  That said I usually hear about that for fort Lauderdale.

• Thanks 1

There is a small seating area inside the terminal for guests with wheelchairs, walkers, and canes.

It is not a priority check-in area.

You are to remain seated until your boarding group is announced.

David

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

There is a small seating area inside the terminal for guests with wheelchairs, walkers, and canes.

And for those without their own wheelchair, walker, or cane. What is the protocol for assistance for those passengers from the time they arrive until the time they are boarded? 

Hi Ruth ....I hope a San Diego HAL sailing is in your future plans.  I'll make this a generic reply; however, I suspect you are 4*(+).

Arrive at the terminal, presumably via the parking lot and have your Boarding Pass in hand.

Door greeters will evaluate your Mariner status (and needs) and show you to either a designated ADA waiting area just inside, or to the appropriate lineup for security screening.

You will be assisted through security by ground staff to another set of chairs where the ship's pushers can take over, aid you through check-in, and up an elevator to the ship.

David

On 11/5/2022 at 8:11 AM, DaveOKC said:

Since she is a 4 Star AND in a Neptune she normally will be allowed to board whenever she wants.  If fact, so should you.

Thank you. Your responses are very helpful and appreciated. Somehow our TA was able to get our boarding times to be the same

Our boarding pass clearly said priority boarding (I even highlighted it in yellow). We paid for Club Orange priority boarding.  We are also 4*.  We were given a boarding time of 12:30.  We arrived shortly after 12:00 and gave our bags to the baggage staff.  A lot of people were lined up outside in the sun.  Priority boarding meant nothing but when the staff saw we were 4 * we were allowed to go into the building and processed through security.  Then we were told to sit with our boarding group D, 4* seemed to mean nothing.  I really don’t know why we were given a boarding group.  After checking out my surroundings I found a lady who seemed to know what was going on and asked her if there was a priority seating area?  No, but 4* can go ahead and board!  So we did.  For many, it was a nightmare.  Fortunately I asked questions or we would have been outside in the sun for hours.

I hope things improve.  Part of the blame has to fall on HAL, I see no logic in how they establish boarding times.  If 4* can board at any time, why are we given boarding times?  Why are new cruisers given earlier boarding times than the 3* mariners?

Thank you to the port staff on this board who repeatedly warned us of the situation in advance.  At least some of us knew what to expect, and that’s why I asked questions when I got there.  I think I’ll have to dig out that old 4* mariner pin.  It might come in handy to show “status”!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am "following" this post as there is so much good information!  Our cruise on Koningsdam departs on 12/3.  We have no status (this is our 2nd HAL cruise), and too early to have our boarding time appear. We are traveling with another couple, one of whom has mobility issues, but is not in a wheelchair (uses a cane).  Fortunately, we have a 2-bedroom suite reserved across the street at the Springhill/Renaissance by Marriott.  Hopefully we can get the same check-in time as we may need to help with his luggage.  At least we should have a comfy lobby to wait and ample opportunity for a good breakfast! Fortunately, all of us are very familiar with downtown San Diego.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

Our boarding pass clearly said priority boarding (I even highlighted it in yellow). We paid for Club Orange priority boarding.  We are also 4*.  We were given a boarding time of 12:30.  We arrived shortly after 12:00 and gave our bags to the baggage staff.  A lot of people were lined up outside in the sun.  Priority boarding meant nothing but when the staff saw we were 4 * we were allowed to go into the building and processed through security.  Then we were told to sit with our boarding group D, 4* seemed to mean nothing.  I really don’t know why we were given a boarding group.  After checking out my surroundings I found a lady who seemed to know what was going on and asked her if there was a priority seating area?  No, but 4* can go ahead and board!  So we did.  For many, it was a nightmare.  Fortunately I asked questions or we would have been outside in the sun for hours.

I hope things improve.  Part of the blame has to fall on HAL, I see no logic in how they establish boarding times.  If 4* can board at any time, why are we given boarding times?  Why are new cruisers given earlier boarding times than the 3* mariners?

Thank you to the port staff on this board who repeatedly warned us of the situation in advance.  At least some of us knew what to expect, and that’s why I asked questions when I got there.  I think I’ll have to dig out that old 4* mariner pin.  It might come in handy to show “status”!

And this is what gets my nose out of joint.  Hal seems to show every day how little they appreciate loyalty.  I don’t want to hear that they don’t have to do anything to keep me there.  I’m not afraid to go elsewhere and I have.  It’s a bad mistake for anyone to think they have me in the bag.  It a mistake a few have made to their detriment.

6 minutes ago, DENIE said:

I am "following" this post as there is so much good information!  Our cruise on Koningsdam departs on 12/3.  We have no status (this is our 2nd HAL cruise), and too early to have our boarding time appear. We are traveling with another couple, one of whom has mobility issues, but is not in a wheelchair (uses a cane).  Fortunately, we have a 2-bedroom suite reserved across the street at the Springhill/Renaissance by Marriott.  Hopefully we can get the same check-in time as we may need to help with his luggage.  At least we should have a comfy lobby to wait and ample opportunity for a good breakfast! Fortunately, all of us are very familiar with downtown San Diego.

Yeah the breakfast isn’t what I’d call good there.  I had it in November 2021 and that was enough.  I went to Starbucks in March and I’m not a fan of it either.  There were people everywhere at that buffet and it was very basic.  I’d rather pay for something and get something decent.  There is a nice seating area that faces the port.  I want to say it’s on 4 but it many not be.  It’s on the same level as the pool.  Much nicer than the lobby.  I did manage to get my luggage over by myself but it was a bit of a challenge.  I do have knee issues.  People disagreed with me and said it was easy.  I’m not sure how people can make the determination for others when they don’t know the person.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Yeah the breakfast isn’t what I’d call good there.  I had it in November 2021 and that was enough.  I went to Starbucks in March and I’m not a fan of it either.  There were people everywhere at that buffet and it was very basic.  I’d rather pay for something and get something decent.  There is a nice seating area that faces the port.  I want to say it’s on 4 but it many not be.  It’s on the same level as the pool.  Much nicer than the lobby.  I did manage to get my luggage over by myself but it was a bit of a challenge.  I do have knee issues.  People disagreed with me and said it was easy.  I’m not sure how people can make the determination for others when they don’t know the person.

Thanks!  Good to know!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

Arrive at the terminal, presumably via the parking lot and have your Boarding Pass in hand.

Door greeters will evaluate your Mariner status (and needs) and show you to either a designated ADA waiting area just inside, or to the appropriate lineup for security screening.

You will be assisted through security by ground staff to another set of chairs where the ship's pushers can take over, aid you through check-in, and up an elevator to the ship.

Thank you for the information. It doesn't sound like it would work for me. 

I would prefer to take a Canal cruise eastbound, as the flight home would be much easier, but there are other routings that might work out. 

52 minutes ago, DENIE said:

We are traveling with another couple, one of whom has mobility issues, but is not in a wheelchair (uses a cane).  Fortunately, we have a 2-bedroom suite reserved across the street at the Springhill/Renaissance by Marriott.  Hopefully we can get the same check-in time as we may need to help with his luggage. 

In most ports wheelchair passengers are allowed to bring someone on with them to assist. If you are dragging your friend's luggage, even the carry-on(s) embarking, you may be allowed to board together. 
Ask! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RuthC said:

In most ports wheelchair passengers are allowed to bring someone on with them to assist. If you are dragging your friend's luggage, even the carry-on(s) embarking, you may be allowed to board together. 
Ask! 

Good point! We will! 🙂