Viewing opportunities aboard the Caribbean Princess?

irisheileen

We are taking the Caribbean princess 10-day Panama canal cruise this upcoming January 7th. We have a starboard balcony. Could sit there and watch but I have a feeling that it's going to be a lot better at the bow of the ship for example. What viewing areas are open on the ship please? Any hidden secret suggestions?

TIA

Have you asked on the Princess board, as this is specific to a Princess ship, and their policies on opening the bow?

Most ships will open the bow if possible, as entering a lock and viewing that from the bow is a great experience. However, not all ships have an area appropriate for the public to gather.

Yes, staying on your balcony alone is not recommended. As discussed here frequently, you need to be all over the ship. Be on the Promenade (or similar) deck when the ship is going up or down in a lock...another special and unique location to get a feel for what the locks are doing.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Have you asked on the Princess board, as this is specific to a Princess ship, and their policies on opening the bow?

Most ships will open the bow if possible, as entering a lock and viewing that from the bow is a great experience. However, not all ships have an area appropriate for the public to gather.

Yes, staying on your balcony alone is not recommended. As discussed here frequently, you need to be all over the ship. Be on the Promenade (or similar) deck when the ship is going up or down in a lock...another special and unique location to get a feel for what the locks are doing.

Thanks, I did just watch a YouTube video about going to several different locations on the ship. I like your idea of the promenade. Thank you!

There is no need to ‘open the bow’ on a grand class Princess ship.  The promenade deck is open all the way around.  Going in through Agua Clara locks, the retention basins will be on the starboard side.  But I don’t believe you will be able to see the gates opening and closing from the side.  I think most, if not all grand class ships have an observation area above the bridge.  If so, it will be the first place to fill up with viewers.  Crowds thin as you pass from one lock to the next.  Another good place would be Skywalkers.  For me, I prefer the promenade deck, moving around.  If you elect not to do an excursion, and stay onboard for the trip back out, there will not be any crowds to compete with for good spots.  EM