Live From The Getaway..... 1-8-2023

Laszlo

1 hour ago, bren61 said:

Can you please try to find out what the plan is for H2O, if they are going to try to fix it at turn around or if they are attempting to work on it now? Thanks Laszlo!!

It stunk in April. It stunk in September. In stunk in December/January. It's going to stink on your cruise. It's the same as me not being able to use my aft balcony some days when the breeze blew just the right way. Thankfully, it's not every day. There were plenty of days on the 12/31 - 1/8 sailing when Spice H2O was perfectly useable. And a couple days it wasn't. 

• Like 1

Poor design if the smoke is so bad! Wife is stage III cancer survivor and I’ll be all over em if our room is smoking. Compromised immune system is not a joke. I hope it’s okay as I’ve often smelt fumes walking on deck upper. Love that spice H20 area for dancing 🕺 

Hey there folks onboard were going on when you guys get that ship 🚢 back to NYC! Love all your info amazing very excited! Hate to be a pain but is there that dancing with officers competition? Is there a Quest adult game, once on Dawn it was hilarious, I know it’s a RCL thing but seen it on NCL. I read your dailies and didn’t see those. How many theme parties.

Is the Cruise Director and activities staff actually active, line dancing, fun, Zumba?

Thanks safe travels home 🏡🙏

3 hours ago, bren61 said:

Can you please try to find out what the plan is for H2O, if they are going to try to fix it at turn around or if they are attempting to work on it now? Thanks Laszlo!!

The only thing I’ve seen anyone working on is the elevators and a little painting. One of the forward elevators was out for what seems to be most of the cruise. They had 3-4 guys working on. I don’t go back to the rear of the ship much

4 hours ago, bren61 said:

I think the smell at Spice H20 is the least of your worries. From what I have observed and heard the service across the board is lacking. Not because of effort because of numbers. The service in the Haven has remained excellent. We won’t however cruise the Getaway again. Not have a retractable roof of the Haven courtyard is not idea. Our cabin location is terrible, it was cheap and the last one available, I wouldn’t book it again if it was free

52 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

I think the smell at Spice H20 is the least of your worries. From what I have observed and heard the service across the board is lacking. Not because of effort because of numbers. The service in the Haven has remained excellent. We won’t however cruise the Getaway again. Not have a retractable roof of the Haven courtyard is not idea. Our cabin location is terrible, it was cheap and the last one available, I wouldn’t book it again if it was free

I believe NCL installed exhaust scrubbers on Getaway (and Breakaway) during the Corona shutdown. I remember seeing pictures post-installation that the height of exhaust stack was shortened. This reduction in height may be causing the toxic exhaust gasses to blow down onto the aft deck - Spice. It is probably not a good idea to be back there breathing in the sulfer and carbon from the exhaust stack.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

I believe NCL installed exhaust scrubbers on Getaway (and Breakaway) during the Corona shutdown. I remember seeing pictures post-installation that the height of exhaust stack was shortened. This reduction in height may be causing the toxic exhaust gasses to blow down onto the aft deck - Spice. It is probably not a good idea to be back there breathing in the sulfer and carbon from the exhaust stack.

This is the first cruise I remember ever seeing a yellowish exhaust, with a sulfur smell. In the past it’s been black, gray…. Don’t remember a smell. I do remembered soot on the aft decks. This is different 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

This is the first cruise I remember ever seeing a yellowish exhaust, with a sulfur smell. In the past it’s been black, gray…. Don’t remember a smell. I do remembered soot on the aft decks. This is different 

Ugh, sounds pretty bad.

And here I am thinking the scrubber installation would have helped the situation.

51 minutes ago, bumble12 said:

what room did u have

Let me be clear, the cabin and the service are great. It’s the location of the cabin that is the problem. Others near us complain too. We are right across from hall from the crew service area, I think it’s 4 or 6 service elevators. From about 7pm-10pm every minute or so the door slams shut with a large bang. I get it, someone’s cabin needs to be across from it. I should have looked exactly where the cabin was before I choose it

4 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Let me be clear, the cabin and the service are great. It’s the location of the cabin that is the problem. Others near us complain too. We are right across from hall from the crew service area, I think it’s 4 or 6 service elevators. From about 7pm-10pm every minute or so the door slams shut with a large bang. I get it, someone’s cabin needs to be across from it. I should have looked exactly where the cabin was before I choose it

Wow! I'm sorry! We had 14140 booked on the August cruise that we canceled, so we could take a longer cruise in September that was cheaper even in an aft-facing Haven suite (13902) - same as my last cruise I "live"d about. I guess we lucked out. 

We did stay in 14130 in April and it was lovely. Quiet, but not too far from the stairs to the Haven. It's amazing how such a short distance can translate into such loudness. 

25 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

We didn't encounter anything yellowish the week before. It was just the typical black soot. These were installed in our forced overnight at Port Canaveral. I wonder if they have anything to do with the change.

image.thumb.jpeg.23a193c10d684535d9639bb5a7dbbfef.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ad66009755d7cf6ecb2792602abddf83.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cementhands said:

Any truth to the rumors of smoke stack issues? Folks who recently went on Getaway stated H20 was not useable due to smoke and maintenance ongoing. We’re scheduled to go onboard after your cruise. Many thanks for post of dailies. Very excited as info was great. Concerned about that smoke though.

This was a major issue for us last year in February. Not only was Spice unusable for the entire trip, we couldn’t use the ropes course or be on our aft-ish (not an actual aft balcony, just in the back) balcony and ultimately had to move rooms. At that time the captain said it was a problem they were aware of. There is an old thread with many posts about this. It’s a bummer if it’s still not resolved because we’re back on the ship next month. 

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

Anyone else on this cruise in an aft balcony? We're aft on Deck 9 this Friday, and I'm wondering if we'll feel the effects down there. I hope not 'cause it's why we booked this cruise, lol!

2 hours ago, Laszlo said:

I had this same room last Feb 27, but do not recall the crew service door on this cruise.  I did have similar situation on different NCL cruise, maybe Escape or Breakaway, I think I took video so they could hear what it sounded like, but it was not the Getaway, I looked thru those videos.  It was very loud as it had an automatic closure when they came thru.  We advised crew and they adjusted the closure and it made a world of difference.  Might be able to find video and determine which ship.  I am going again this Feb 1 but only in a balcony.  I agree the not enclosed Haven pool area is not good, when we have stayed in Breakaway haven with enclosed and climate controlled pool multiple deck area.  It was fabulous getting fancy drinks there while reading book or listening to music.  We love the Haven spa rooms, as we love the spa and Haven.  We only get when it is a good price, not sure I will ever see those days again, the extra points also helps with Latitude levels.  I believe right now everyone is going on cruises from not going during covid, and it makes it not as fun, more of rat race.  It was good prior and just after covid, now everyone is going on vacation, Disney, cruises etc.  Hope it levels out soon or I will be making vacation changes and I will greatly miss the days of cruising.  Will also have to try other cruiselines like MSC, have been loyal primarily to NCL, but with ALL the changes it may be short lived.  I have taken other cruiselines and all have pros and cons, have yet to find my perfect cruisline.  Sorry for rant.

2 hours ago, trbarton said:

Does anyone who the Captain & Staff Captain are?

Tom 

Go to the roll call for the January 20 cruise. On post 417, @JIMESOPUSposted pictures of the senior officer board. The Captain is Konstantinos Gkokas and the Staff Captain is Luksa Stanisic (spelling may be slightly off, the pictures got a little blurry when I tried to zoom in). 

8 minutes ago, registrar said:

Can you please tell me if Haven Cabins supply cotton balls and Q-tips.

Must have them!!! 

Mine did! Every time I go back, I forget this and pack them. I'm hoping to remember for my upcoming cruise. I can lighten the load a wee bit!

12 minutes ago, registrar said:

Can you please tell me if Haven Cabins supply cotton balls and Q-tips.

Must have them!!! 

Yes. However sometimes they forget to refill them on turn around day but by the first

full day they are full again. (Round see through cannisters near the make up mirror.)

1 minute ago, Peachypooh said:

Yes. However sometimes they forget to refill them on turn around day but by the first

full day they are full again. (Round see through cannisters near the make up mirror.)

OMG - My husband has a real phobia about cotton balls.  Even q-tips, but he isn't quite as bad.  It's for real. I have to hid mine in an area he can't see.  Surprise cotton in a medicine bottle?  OMG - he is terrified. 

I wonder if I can pre-request our butler not put them in our cabin.   🤔