Viking Ocean versus Viking River Embarkment and Disembarkment Policy

donaldsc

We have just completed out 1st Viking River cruise which we loved.  One thing that was nice was the casual embarkment and disembarkment policy.  On the river cruise we could board almost any time we wanted although we obviously could not get into our cabin.  At the end of the cruise we were booked on a 12:15 train train  trip from Avignon to Paris.  Viking told us that as long as we were out of the cabin by 8:00 we could relax on the ship in the lounge and even have lunch on board before we left.

We are taking our first Ocean cruise in January.  We would like to board as soon as possible rather than sit in our hotel room all morning.  More important we are taking a 4:10 flight home at the end of the cruise.  I know that we have to be out of our cabin early but can we relax on the ship until noonish and maybe even have lunch on board instead of having to sit in the airport for hours.  

What is the Viking Ocean policy versus the Viking River policy?

DON

Yes, you can board early (not sure how early), but as a rule the World Cafe opens for lunch at 11am. You can hang out on the shop until your cabin is ready - usually a little earlier than your assigned time. Regarding disembarkation, I believe you would have to be off the ship by 8am assuming another cruise crowd is coming in. 

Where are you embarking and disembarking at?  The reason is that US Coast Guard requires all cruise ships to have a "zero count" at turnaround before passengers for the next sailing can board.

Just looked at my boarding pass for Barcelona, it doesn't state a time to board.  I guess we could show up anytime!

1 hour ago, Flgreg said:

I'm pretty sure boarding time is 11:00am.

What does Viking Ocean do if you have an early flight arrival time and have booked a Viking transfer from airport to ship?  Our flight next May gets into Heathrow before 6 AM and ship is tendered at Greenwich.  Do they keep you waiting at the airport or do they drop you off someplace in Greenwich until boarding is allowed?

2 hours ago, Selion said:

Where are you embarking and disembarking at?  The reason is that US Coast Guard requires all cruise ships to have a "zero count" at turnaround before passengers for the next sailing can board.

Just looked at my boarding pass for Barcelona, it doesn't state a time to board.  I guess we could show up anytime!

San Juan Puerto Rico.  Actually being on board but out of the cabin during disembarkment would be more important but I sort of guessed that the zero count issue would be a problem.  Bummer.

DON

12 minutes ago, Moonlion said:

What does Viking Ocean do if you have an early flight arrival time and have booked a Viking transfer from airport to ship?  Our flight next May gets into Heathrow before 6 AM and ship is tendered at Greenwich.  Do they keep you waiting at the airport or do they drop you off someplace in Greenwich until boarding is allowed?

Realistically you will get to Greenwich between 8am and 9 Viking will look after your bags and deliver them to your room. 

If you decide to visit museums etc. It's likely any bag you have with you will be searched by security, not an issue, but will delay entry

• Thanks 1

It’s going to be all over the map depending on your cruise. If you have a Viking transfer on embarkation day and arrive early, Viking will usually take you to a hotel conference room and offer coffee/snacks/sometimes breakfast while they wait for later arrivals. Then they’ll aim to get you back on the transfer bus to arrive at the ship about 11:00 am. This was our experience arriving early morning into Hong Kong in Nov. 2019.

On disembarkation day, you put your bags out by 10 pm the night before and vacate your room by 8:00 am. Then you can eat breakfast in the WC and wait in the Living Room for either your transfer group time or as late as about 9:30 am in our experience, to get a local taxi.

These examples are general, some times may vary depending on port and cruise. Boarding is usually 11:00 am; disembarkation is either by 9:30 am unless transferring with Viking, in which case they’ll give you a time based on your flight out. In some ports at end of cruise, I’ve heard if you have a late evening flight out (with Viking transfer), they will sometimes either take you on a tour of the port city, or take you to another hotel conference room to wait.

MVJ might have embark/disembarkation times, or it might be in your Viking invoice. You can also email TellUs@vikingcruises.com to ask about your particular cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

San Juan Puerto Rico

Since it's a US port, I'd say 11am at the earliest for embarkation.  The latest you could stay on the ship probably would be 9:30am to 10am (if you are not using Viking transfers), due to the zero count requirement.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, donaldsc said:

We are taking our first Ocean cruise in January.  We would like to board as soon as possible rather than sit in our hotel room all morning.

DON

When we boarded in San Juan in January 2020, all embarking passengers had to wait outside the gate until all disembarking passengers were off the ship.  We were there for some time and we didn't board until shortly after noon.

On 11/2/2022 at 10:54 AM, donaldsc said:

San Juan Puerto Rico.  Actually being on board but out of the cabin during disembarkment would be more important but I sort of guessed that the zero count issue would be a problem.  Bummer.

DON

When we disembarked in San Juan, Viking had a large, (probably conference) room for people to spend time who had late flights. The hotel was directly across the street from where we docked. DH and I were staying over for a few days so went to our hotel, but there were a number of passengers taking this opportunity. I believe that I heard passengers were able to store their bags there and explore, but I may be wrong about that piece. I also remember needing to be off the ship, as suggested, around 9:30 or 10:00. 

Edited by Vineyard View

I asked Viking directly what their disembarkment policy in San Juan was and this was their reply -

"Thank you for your recent online inquiry.

Normally, disembarkation is between 9:00-9:30AM unless of late flights/transfers. You are able to stay on the ship and use all of the public areas until the time of your departure to the airport, or you can go into the port and we will look after your luggage. Please note, for US ports, guests cannot leave the ship until the port authorities have cleared the ship. "

Seems like a wonderful policy if true.  Has anyone stayed on board after vacating their room until maybe 1:00 or 2:00 PM.

DON

3 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I asked Viking directly what their disembarkment policy in San Juan was and this was their reply -

Normally, disembarkation is between 9:00-9:30AM unless of late flights/transfers. You are able to stay on the ship and use all of the public areas until the time of your departure to the airport, or you can go into the port and we will look after your luggage. Please note, for US ports, guests cannot leave the ship until the port authorities have cleared the ship. "

Seems like a wonderful policy if true.  Has anyone stayed on board after vacating their room until maybe 1:00 or 2:00 PM.

DON

Short answer, no. You have to be off by the time stated, which is likely to be 9.30

5 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Short answer, no. You have to be off by the time stated, which is likely to be 9.30

Yes, agree.  Sometimes it is 9:00 AM even.

When we left San Juan, it was 9:00.  They pretty much got everyone out and onwards.

They do indeed need to get the ship ready for the incoming passengers, many of whom get there at 11:00 AM.  I truly doubt you'll ever get to stay til 1 or 2.  In San Juan, Viking had a room at the Sheraton that people could go to hang out with refreshments, etc.  Other cities have had that as well (Buenos Aires).  

On 11/2/2022 at 1:14 PM, KBs mum said:

Viking usually book a conference room in a hotel and provide sitting areas and refreshments for those on late flights home. They look after any bag put out for collection the previous evening. 

That’s what they did when we were in Puerto Rico. 

3 hours ago, longterm said:

That’s what they did when we were in Puerto Rico. 

I totally agree with what all of you are saying.  However if you read my post #13 this is different from what Viking seems to say in their response what the question I clearly asked.  I guess that we will see in January.

DON

On 11/9/2022 at 12:31 PM, donaldsc said:

DON

Don, We have a late flight from SJ, so I'm hoping what V told you is correct !  I actually saw that same response on a separate board, and those PAX said they stayed on board till later in afternoon and enjoyed lunch and the spa! 🤞

• Like 1

Does anyone know what usually happens for disembarkation at Tilbury?  Our first Viking cruise (Iberian Explorer, Viking Venus) ends at Tilbury on Jan 19, 2023.  We intend to take the Viking shuttle to Heathrow, but our flight is not until about 3:00 pm.  Sounds like we would get the shuttle by 9:30 at the latest, a lot of time (I hope!) to twiddle our thumbs in Terminal 2.

Karen  

55 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I totally agree with what all of you are saying.  However if you read my post #13 this is different from what Viking seems to say in their response what the question I clearly asked.  I guess that we will see in January.

DON

I agree that from the Viking response, it would appear you could stay onboard.

However, I personally would not believe that response.   We had asked the same question and were told we all had to leave the ship in the morning (and we could go to the Sheraton to wait).  There was no alternative (this was Dec 2021).

Perhaps they changed the policy?  Perhaps the Viking person who wrote the response is not fully informed?

I would seek a 2nd opinion from other Viking personnel or have your Travel Agent do it.

2 minutes ago, Reuben's 3rd said:

Does anyone know what usually happens for disembarkation at Tilbury?  Our first Viking cruise (Iberian Explorer, Viking Venus) ends at Tilbury on Jan 19, 2023.  We intend to take the Viking shuttle to Heathrow, but our flight is not until about 3:00 pm.  Sounds like we would get the shuttle by 9:30 at the latest, a lot of time (I hope!) to twiddle our thumbs in Terminal 2.

Karen  

I wouldn't want to leave the ship any later, I'd allow about 2 hours to get to  Heathrow, it can easily take longer, so you would likely get there about 11.30 to 12ish, arriving at the Airport 2 hours beforehand is recommended, so you have a useful hour extra in case of delays

1 hour ago, Reuben's 3rd said:

Thank you, KBs mum.  Not understanding the geography, I thought that Heathrow would be a quicker trip.  And to be fair, our last boarding at Terminal 2 in Nov 2019 was a zoo! We will bring books.

Karen

I prefer to be bored in the terminal to stuck in traffic worried about a missed flight, but that's just me. The drive could be as quick as an hour, but it probably won't be. Either way, you are OK 

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

I agree that from the Viking response, it would appear you could stay onboard.

However, I personally would not believe that response.   We had asked the same question and were told we all had to leave the ship in the morning (and we could go to the Sheraton to wait).  There was no alternative (this was Dec 2021).

Perhaps they changed the policy?  Perhaps the Viking person who wrote the response is not fully informed?

I would seek a 2nd opinion from other Viking personnel or have your Travel Agent do it.

I figure that whatever occurs will work for us and there is nothing I can do to affect the outcome..  I will report back in January to tell you all what happened.  No big deal either way.

DON

Edited by donaldsc