Upgrade Offers

Grumpella

6 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

No they don’t.  That is part of the top secret formula.  For a silk g where I had an inside cabin I was told directly that upsells for inside cabin pax were completed and there would be no more.  I had my agent call and she was told the same.  

Was this recent?  I feel like that might have been true at one point.  Now I think it’s whoever calls or contacts them.  I have suggested that they don’t go to everyone to be told they absolutely do by those on this board that are experts in everything 😛.

20 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Was this recent?  I feel like that might have been true at one point.  Now I think it’s whoever calls or contacts them.  I have suggested that they don’t go to everyone to be told they absolutely do by those on this board that are experts in everything 😛.

No, that was not recent.  My belief is they don’t go to everyone.  As you know I call on every cruise I book.  The formula has a divide between those who are in a guarantee and those who are not - that makes sense.  The formula seems to not want to upgrade you too many levels.  A person in an inside cabin is not going to swoop into a Neptune.    They do it in steps, first filling one level than another.  My supposition is that they first want to empty the inside cabins as those are they will offer as last minute bargains.  I say this but twice I have gone from an inside to a small suite on the Zaandam.  Both of those were done within 6 days of sailing, actually one was at the pier 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

HAL needs to get  it’s act together.  I’m glad the OP took this inconsistency to the next level.  If you use the Big Box store, call the BB TA to see if there are upsells available.   They will call HAL for you.  

This is the second person this week who has reported speaking to a rude customer service rep at Holland America.  Obviously there needs to be some training of phone reps.   People shouldn’t feel like they have to come to Cruise Critic to find out “how the system really works”

HAL has a lot of new people and have I have noticed customer service has taken a turn for the worse. We are sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam on December 4th but on our last cruise with HAL back in April,  the personnel during the check in process were trying to do a good job but just weren't ready to do the job. Its obvious that HAL did a rush job and these people were not properly trained, hopefully in the last 7 or 8 months things have improved. 

Edited by MISTER 67

Interesting that HAL is dealing directly with TA booked customers AND that anyone can get the upsells.  Every time I have called the upsell department they wanted my booking number and mariner number to see if I qualified I thought at the time.

5 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Interesting that HAL is dealing directly with TA booked customers AND that anyone can get the upsells.  Every time I have called the upsell department they wanted my booking number and mariner number to see if I qualified I thought at the time.

I used to deal with a PCC but I've dealt with a TA lately.  I called for an upsell maybe two weeks ago and he just asked for my booking number, that is it.  He looked, there was nothing available at that time.  No indication that I needed to contact my TA.  That said, it seems reasonable to me.  I'm not motivated to give hal any more money, so I don't think I'll be calling back.

10 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I called for an upsell maybe two weeks ago and he just asked for my booking number, that is it.  He looked, there was nothing available at that time.  No indication that I needed to contact my TA.

Exactly my experience last week except I was offered to go from inside guarantee to any not obstructed view balcony (VF to VQ) if I wanted to pay $299 per person.  Answer was no.

Booking number was all that was required.  I book with a TA.  TA never forwards upsells. 

• Like 1

To be clear, I wasn't upset about not getting the deal, I don't like being lied to or rude people.  And the agent never said anything about the TA, that was the supervisor.

I've had a lifetime (31 years) of missing deals because my husband is a very sloooooow decision maker.  He has learned his lesson this time with Holland America.

That being said, I think it is much easier the way that NCL does it, with making bids.

I look forward to our cruise next weekend.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Grumpella said:

To be clear, I wasn't upset about not getting the deal, I don't like being lied to or rude people.  And the agent never said anything about the TA, that was the supervisor.

I've had a lifetime (31 years) of missing deals because my husband is a very sloooooow decision maker.  He has learned his lesson this time with Holland America.

That being said, I think it is much easier the way that NCL does it, with making bids.

I look forward to our cruise next weekend.

How much of a discount does the bidding process on NCL end up saving you on a typical upsell (% wise).  I usually figure that HAL upsells are discounted by 33% off what I would have paid to upsell myself at regular price.

We were in a B6 Large Balcony on the Getaway in September.  They wanted a minimum bid of $ 750 each to bid for the lowest level in the Haven.  It was considered a poor bid but we ended up pulling it because the ship was rerouted to Canada.  My husband didn't want to pay more for a cold weather trip.

30 minutes ago, Grumpella said:

I agree, an open system available to all would be much better.  I like the way NCL does many things and look forward to them having an acceptable itinerary. Have a great trip.

12 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Well it might as well mirror thier technology 😅.

I think the technology a company offers reflects what they think of their clients.  I think HAL thinks we are a bunch of people born in the Stone Age .😉

• Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 1:29 PM, FlaMariner said:

My thoughts exactly.  

I'm thinking they pulled out the "call your TA" line as a way to get the upset customer off the phone?

We all know the rules....

Have your booking number ready

Have the deck plan ready

Have your credit card ready

And most importantly, do not dilly dally

I thought the "rule" was that if booked through a TA, all comunication re the booking is through them, not directly with HAL. BTW, we have always booked through a TA, and we have received two upgrades, including a free one from a Zaandam verandah to a NS.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tampa Girl said:

I thought the "rule" was that if booked through a TA, all comunication re the booking is through them, not directly with HAL. BTW, we have always booked through a TA, and we have received two upgrades, including a free one from a Zaandam verandah to a NS.  

Not the "rule" for me. I've always called and gotten upsell quotes (and took advantage of some upsells) without involving my TA.