P&O shuttle buses

Tira04

I'm booked on my first P&O cruise for December and can't wait!

Does anyone know or had any recent experiences with P&O providing shuttle buses from the cruise terminals to city centres while in port? My last cruise stopped in Portugal and the line provided free shuttles from the cruise terminal into Central Lisbon which was particularly helpful on a rainy port day!

17 minutes ago, Tira04 said:

Does anyone know or had any recent experiences with P&O providing shuttle buses from the cruise terminals to city centres while in port? My last cruise stopped in Portugal and the line provided free shuttles from the cruise terminal into Central Lisbon which was particularly helpful on a rainy port day!

Typically shuttles are supplied by P&O, if not by the port, they are free for select fares and chargeable to your cruise card for saver fares

16 minutes ago, Tira04 said:

Depends whether you have a select or saver fare.  If P&O provide, rather than the port or town, then all have their card scanned and select passengers aren’t charged. Saver passengers have the charge applied to their onboard accounts. The cost is advertised in the daily paper the night before.   There aren't shuttles at all ports and I reckon there should be for some eg Genoa where it was a long walk.  

There was a good thread on this not long ago where people posted about each port, if it could be revived. 

We just did Lisbon. To be honest the shuttle took ages and it was a quick and easy walk to the main square at the front.  The shuttle had to go around a one way system and went to the back of town. 

8 minutes ago, Red Leicester said:

There was a thread here Shuttle Buses

I collated when I was on B222 around the Baltics.  I suggested maybe a thread detailing such things with approx journey time, price, drop offs etc.  Next cruise I will collate some more.

May be I could add to that from my recent cruise?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Red Leicester said:

There was a thread here Shuttle Buses

I collated when I was on B222 around the Baltics.  I suggested maybe a thread detailing such things with approx journey time, price, drop offs etc.  Next cruise I will collate some more.

Thank you, this is really helpful. 

I'm on a Baltic cruise and I'm happy to walk most places, but was thinking Copenhagen might be worth getting a shuttle! Your info confirmed my thinking and sounds like best value for the convenience 

I should have added where we berthed.  In Copenhagen it was at Nordhavnen, opposite the Unicef Supply Division Warehouse.  I don't mind a walk but that was too far.  There is Metro station 15 mins walk away from the berth that'll whisk you into the Centre with frequent departures.  Automatic too so no need to worry about strikes.

Sorry, me again.

I have now added journey times for the shuttle buses and, where I remember, whether they are accessible to wheelchairs and the fare.  Fares are for Saver passengers, Select passengers were not charged.  Info on most fares and accessibility is vague apart from my last cruise.  Info correct to the dates I put in so could change etc etc.  I don't want to be held responsible if things change!

I've added the walking route at Visby so hopefully that shows.  Talking of Visby... I buy a bottle of local cola (not Coca-Cola or Pepsi but the local own brand) in each port to sample.  I bought three in Visby, two from a sweet shop and one from the Co-Op.  On the way back to the ship the bag split and the two from the sweet shop smashed never to be sampled.  I didn't have time to get back to the shop.  Should anyone visit and be willing to bring me two bottles back please let me know! I'll reimburse of course.  From memory the two bottles plus a huge bag of pick n mix tuffies came to £8.

Edited by Red Leicester

We are thinking of taking our first P&O cruise (have cruised before on other lines) so just wanted to be clear. If we take select fare and opt for the OBC option, do we still get to have free shuttles in ports that have a P&O shuttle? I thought we had to choose between OBC, transfers or parking?

3 minutes ago, riki10555 said:

We are thinking of taking our first P&O cruise (have cruised before on other lines) so just wanted to be clear. If we take select fare and opt for the OBC option, do we still get to have free shuttles in ports that have a P&O shuttle? I thought we had to choose between OBC, transfers or parking?

Yes you get the free shuttles. The transfers you mention are regarding coach transfers in Britain from different places to the ship at Southampton. 

Edited by Gettingwarmer
  • Like 2

Shuttle buses and transfers are two different things.  Shuttle buses take you from port to the local centre when on a port day.

Transfers get you to for your first day and away from the ship on the last day should you pick them.  Or take extra OBC.  Or parking.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, riki10555 said:

Select bookings get free shuttles whenever supplied. The transfer option is the coach from home/near home to Southampton and back. You need to do the sums regarding parking, OBC or transfer and see which works best for you

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Select bookings get free shuttles whenever supplied. The transfer option is the coach from home/near home to Southampton and back. You need to do the sums regarding parking, OBC or transfer and see which works best for you

However many ports do not require or have shuttles, and for those that do the cost is rarely more than £5pp each way, so not a huge cost when compared to the price difference between select and saver.

• Like 2

£20 feels pretty steep for what amounts to a 4 min ride in each direction for two people.  That was Tallinn.  Arrecife was even worse.  £16 for being driven the length of a ship, well not much more.  Admittedly that was due to roadworks so buses could get no further.

Edited by Red Leicester
  • Like 1

Yes, I think it really depends on how far out the ship has docked. 

I agree, it wouldn't be worth it in Tallinn. Or other cities with good public transport options such as  Amsterdam or Helsinki. Or when the ship is able to Dock near the city centre as in Lisbon and Oslo. But again, it will depend on individuals ability to walk as well. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Red Leicester said:

£20 feels pretty steep for what amounts to a 4 min ride in each direction for two people.  That was Tallinn.  Arrecife was even worse.  £16 for being driven the length of a ship, well not much more.  Admittedly that was due to roadworks so buses could get no further.

Were docking in Lisbon next month.  I want to go to a particular shopping mall which is a metro trip.  €1.95 pp each way.  The nearest metro to the ship is closer than the drop off point for the shuttle.  So won't be using the shuttle there even though we're on a Select fare.  Mind you, we tend not to use the shuttle in Lisbon as it's an ok walk into town.  But as Tira says, depends on peoples walking ability as well.  

Were going to be in Funchal next year, cruising with friends.  ES fares all round.  I'm starting to wonder whether it would be cheaper to get taxis between us rather than pay for the shuttle.