New to Oceania

mertziek

We just booked a cruise on Oceania Riviera for Nov 2024.  We are new to the brand (usually do deluxe owners suites on NCL) so bear with me since I have a few questions. 
Are there coffee makers in each suite/room?

What are the Vista suite perks?

Does free Internet come with the Vista suite?

Do we need to pre-book dinners, excursions?
We bought the house liquor plan.  Any insight on what’s included?  Mixed drinks?  Or do you advice upgrading beverage packages?  On NCL we always went with the regular beverage package.

TIA for all of your assistance.  I’m sure I’ll have more questions but this is a good start.

23 minutes ago, mertziek said:

We just booked a cruise on Oceania Riviera for Nov 2024.  We are new to the brand (usually do deluxe owners suites on NCL) so bear with me since I have a few questions. 
Are there coffee makers in each suite/room?

What are the Vista suite perks?

Does free Internet come with the Vista suite?

Do we need to pre-book dinners, excursions?
We bought the house liquor plan.  Any insight on what’s included?  Mixed drinks?  Or do you advice upgrading beverage packages?  On NCL we always went with the regular beverage package.

TIA for all of your assistance.  I’m sure I’ll have more questions but this is a good start.

Register your cruise on the O website and then peruse the various topics and associated FAQs  in your newly established “account” which will answer the above questions and far more (I.e., specialty restaurant reservations, excursion packages, booze upgrades, etc)       

Also, reading your Ticket Contract and T&Cs will cover many items as well. Finally, do a search here on the CC Oceania forums with specific keywords and you’ll get a list of fairly comprehensive threads that explain it all.

• Like 1

Welcome.

As a recent newby myself I’ll take a swing at some.

Vista suite, I have no knowledge.

As for internet, everyone gets access included in their fare.

Dinners in the main (Grand) dining room don’t require reservations, just go when you’d like to eat, with anyone you’d like to dine with.  Generally no wait, but I’ve seen a small queue on busy nights.  Specialty dining reservations are required, you’ll have first crack with you’re vista suite.  Your butler can get additional reservations once you board.

As for the liquor package I assume you are referring to the OLife beverage package.  Realize that this includes beer and wine only, and only at meal times in dining venues.  The wines are middle of the road, I’ve found a favorite red and white but admit I’m not hard to please.  You can upgrade to the premier beverage package for $20 per day, this opens the bar for mixed drinks and hard liquor with the usual favorites represented, if you drink a bit, the upgrade can quickly pay for itself.  Personal call.

• Like 1

Just to add  when you go to the website  then click on the Suite  it will give you what the perks are

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/riviera/suites-staterooms

In the VS you get  2 internet accounts  in the top suites

plus  a 6 bottle package  for in suite  the butler will give you a list of what wine/spirits you can choose from

You can be served in your suite  from the restaurants just speak to your Butler to let him know what night you  want to "Dine In "

Enjoy

Thank you for all replies.  I’m slowly navigating the website and found the Frequently Asked Questions that has helped a lot.  And I think we will upgrade the beverage package since we like to drink between and after meals.  Good thing fbi have a long time to educate myself!

@mertziek

If you really like the front of the ship location, keep reading the FAQ’s because there can be issues with nighttime lighting and oncoming winds and motion of the ocean in those suites. IMHO you could opt for an Oceania Suite, a little smaller at 1,000 sq ft but an Outstandingly well laid out Suite and you will save 💵💵 and still get all the perks of the VS.  We have been in both and the Oceania Suite is the Winner in our book. Feel free to ask for others opinions/experiences. 

Keep dreaming and enjoy your Oceania cruise.  
Mauibabes

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

@mertziek

If you really like the front of the ship location, keep reading the FAQ’s because there can be issues with nighttime lighting and oncoming winds and motion of the ocean in those suites. IMHO you could opt for an Oceania Suite, a little smaller at 1,000 sq ft but an Outstandingly well laid out Suite and you will save 💵💵 and still get all the perks of the VS.  We have been in both and the Oceania Suite is the Winner in our book. Feel free to ask for others opinions/experiences. 

Keep dreaming and enjoy your Oceania cruise.  
Mauibabes

We actually love the front facing suites and have usually booked them in the past on other cruise ships.  I also realize there can be light issues at night.  A bit of a nuisance but we love to see where we are going so we put up with it.  It’s always interesting to read about different opinions on room placement but good thing we don’t all like the same kind.

We are at an Oceania Club level where we receive Free Gratuities. That said, we always provide our wonderful Butler’s and Room Stewards with an envelope to thank them for their service. What others do is their decision but we know how hard the staff who serve us work, especially Post Covid, and we want them to know how much we appreciate their sacrifices.  
Mauibabes

We usually tip extra, too, but wondering if we need to consider even more for staff not included on the gratuities charged in advance.  Also, do they have a buffet on the Riviera?  Asking for my sister who likes quick meals.  She booked with us, too, in a concierge Veranda suite.

Edited by mertziek

2 hours ago, mertziek said:

We actually love the front facing suites and have usually booked them in the past on other cruise ships.  I also realize there can be light issues at night.  A bit of a nuisance but we love to see where we are going so we put up with it.  It’s always interesting to read about different opinions on room placement but good thing we don’t all like the same kind.

By light issues they mean you have to keep your curtains closed so your lights don't affect the visibility of the officers on the bridge at night. It's not light coming in your room. 

15 minutes ago, ORV said:

By light issues they mean you have to keep your curtains closed so your lights don't affect the visibility of the officers on the bridge at night. It's not light coming in your room. 

On an NCL cruise we had to keep heavy drapes closed at night in our front facing suite.  Not a big deal.

1 hour ago, mertziek said:

We usually tip extra, too, but wondering if we need to consider even more for staff not included on the gratuities charged in advance.  Also, do they have a buffet on the Riviera?  Asking for my sister who likes quick meals.  She booked with us, too, in a concierge Veranda suite.

Yes if you paid the  $23 PP PD in gratuities the butler & Housekeeping are covered

But why would you pay this far in advance ?

Yes The Terrace Cafe is  a buffet style  as is Waves  but not self serve

I know I will be corrected if I am wrong but the bar staff get tips on all alcohol charges. My understanding is the Room Service staff are not included in the Gratuity split so a little something each time you have room service is appreciated. I certainly do not know the split percentage for the staff.  Anyone else know which staff members are not covered by the $16 or $23 gratuity charge?

Mauibabes

13 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

I know I will be corrected if I am wrong but the bar staff get tips on all alcohol charges. My understanding is the Room Service staff are not included in the Gratuity split so a little something each time you have room service is appreciated. I certainly do not know the split percentage for the staff.  Anyone else know which staff members are not covered by the $16 or $23 gratuity charge?

Mauibabes

Usually  room service  staff work elsewhere on the ship not dedicated to just ROOM SERVICE

Daily gratuities is  shared by  restaurant wait staff  & Housekeeping  (I believe that includes  all those staff in the stairwells cleaning the railing/carpet & the washrooms)

I am sure the cruise line  has a system that works 

tips on drinks shared by bar staff shipwide AFAIK

I pay what the cruise line charges  

We get the PPG  we  tip extra to our room staff

if we order room service  we will give them something as well

YMMV

2 hours ago, mertziek said:

Ok here’s another question.  We prepaid tips. Does this cover the butler and steward?  On NCL the butler and Concierge are not covered by daily service charges but steward is.

Yes, the gratuities include the butler and and the steward/assistant.  If you don't have a beverage package, an automatic 20% gratuity is added on to the bill.

There is wide divergence about adding additional gratuities for the butler, the room attendants, and the bar staff.  Some do it regardless, others reward staff for above and beyond, and other who don't request any thing out of the ordinary don't add more.  It's a personal preference.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mertziek said:

Ok here’s another question.  We prepaid tips. Does this cover the butler and steward?  On NCL the butler and Concierge are not covered by daily service charges but steward is.

Yes, and the assistant steward too.  Our first O cruise we were a bit uncertain whether / how best to use the butler.  Fairly quickly however we found small asks that he could provide quickly and efficiently.  Butlers do vary however, we thought our first one was quite good.  However, on our second (and third back -to-back) sailings we had a butler which was on a whole other level.  A small example, I asked for lime slices for the mini fridge (I drink about 5 club soda per day with lime in each) after a single request my fridge was never without, it's a tiny detail, but a good example of how attentive a good butler can be.

Having said all that, in addition to the O defined gratuity, we tip a few dollars cash the last day for excellent service from the butler, steward or assistant.  Our first O sailing the latter two did nothing to earn extra consideration, our more recent sailing saw all 3 rewarded with a bit extra.  There is endless debate whether such extra consideration actually benefits the crew member you hand it to, regardless, we like to acknowledge exemplary service both at sea and when dining out at home.

• Thanks 1