Wi-fi cutbacks for elites?

Kruzkrazy

On 11/7/2022 at 3:27 PM, memoak said:

This is not something new folks or have people not cruised post pandemic or looked at Princess.com or followed the numerous threads here on this subject. 

Yep, it was changed in July 2021.  At the same time they added the 10% excursion discount (elite) along with the 50% internet discount and 10% spa discounts.

Edited by ldtr

On 11/6/2022 at 5:19 PM, Steelers36 said:

Not quite.  Internet is $10/day for 1-device and $20/day for 4-devices.  Less 50% discount on both options.  Best for a couple to order ONE 4-device package for the same price as TWO single-device packages. 

So if we have the Princess plus we get one sign in each.  If we then buy the additional four device package, we will have a total of six allowable sign ins at a time?  This will only cost $10 a day total (with our discount)?   This has to be done prior to boarding?

Great deal IMO.

Thanks.

Seems like a great deal

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

So if we have the Princess plus we get one sign in each.  If we then buy the additional four device package, we will have a total of six allowable sign ins at a time?  This will only cost $10 a day total (with our discount)?   This has to be done prior to boarding?

Great deal IMO.

Thanks.

Seems like a great deal

Check your princess app in the Medallion net tab and see if there is an offer to upgrade to 4 devices for an additional cost equaling $5 per day. I paid for one device,  so I don't know if they offer it with plus.  Then you would have 5 available sign ins for $5 a day. I was able to access the upgrade on board and use OBC.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, donswife said:

Check your princess app in the Medallion net tab and see if there is an offer to upgrade to 4 devices for an additional cost equaling $5 per day. I paid for one device,  so I don't know if they offer it with plus.  Then you would have 5 available sign ins for $5 a day. I was able to access the upgrade on board and use OBC.

I will check when I get that far.  My cruise is January 17th.

Thanks

Edited by jagoffee
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Great deal IMO.

Thanks.

Seems like a great deal

Pretty easy to go from one device to another with the one device plan. You will get a message that you are connected to another device, do you want to connect to this one?

Edited by billco
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 2:54 AM, caribill said:

What Princess promises:

The Best Wi-Fi at Sea

MedallionNet Wi-Fi is fast, reliable and wherever you are. Stream your favorite shows, movies, music and sports. Stay connected to the internet anywhere on board so you can text, post photos, video chat and more.

Well, when a store that calls itself "Best Buy", isn't...

And a store named "Dollar Tree" sells everything for a dollar-and-a-quarter...  "Dollar-and-a-Quarter Tree" ?

Princess can certainly say they have the best wifi at sea!

Heck ... why be so short-sighted ... best wifi on the planet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/7/2022 at 3:24 PM, Thrak said:

Ahhh... The "reality" of Marketing. Promise anything... Why not?  It's not like Marketing has to actually implement the promises.

Marketing for sure but they also say best WiFi at sea which to me waters it down quite a bit.

Is MedallionNet more expensive to buy on board than it is to buy in advance?

We definitely want internet on our upcoming cruise, but we want to use onboard credit for it, which it won't let us do for pre-booking.

It seems unreasonable to wear a higher cost by being forced to do it this way. Has anyone ever had any success "negotiating" with the internet manager to obtain the pre-boarding price?

22 hours ago, billco said:

Pretty easy to go from one device to another with the one device plan. You will get a message that you are connected to another device, do you want to connect to this one?

I agree it is pretty issue and it is workable.  My DW likes for her photos to transfer from her IPhone to her IPad automatically.

9 hours ago, Bazandgiz said:

Is MedallionNet more expensive to buy on board than it is to buy in advance?

We definitely want internet on our upcoming cruise, but we want to use onboard credit for it, which it won't let us do for pre-booking.

It seems unreasonable to wear a higher cost by being forced to do it this way. Has anyone ever had any success "negotiating" with the internet manager to obtain the pre-boarding price?

I understand that it does cost more if you buy onboard. I always buy pre cruise so I have no personal experience. Our obc is used up for the daily gratuities, excursions, a few drinks, msc. onboard expenses. 

20 hours ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

Marketing for sure but they also say best WiFi at sea which to me waters it down quite a bit.

When Princess started claiming the fastest internet at sea, they were using the same provider as royal carribbean,

so it puzzled me how Princess could be faster.

I just had a quick look at Royal Carribbean, and now I see ***THEY*** have the fastest internet at sea!

voom.jpg

10 hours ago, 1965 said:

I understand that it does cost more if you buy onboard. I always buy pre cruise so I have no personal experience. Our obc is used up for the daily gratuities, excursions, a few drinks, msc. onboard expenses. 

We're not big on-board spenders at all - gratuities are included in fares in Australia, we don't use ship excursions, not drinkers or gamblers, get coffee cards in exchange for mini bar. I'll probably have to suck up the higher priced internet, but it does ruffle my feathers a little.

• Like 1