Embarkation from Seward for Alaska cruise

CruzinMel

Hi there - I've been digging around, looking for a review from someone who embarked from Seward for an Alaska cruise, and I can't find anything.  

If you have started from Seward, do you mind sharing what you remember about it?  Specifically, I'm looking for what time you checked in, how difficult it was to get to the terminal, and any advice.  I've reserved a room at the Harbor 360, but that's as far as I've gotten.  Thanks in advance!

We have done this two times in Seward and most recently in June 2022 with both times our stays were at Harbor 360. You can easily walk from Harbor 360 to the cruise port If walking about a half mile with luggage isn’t a problem for you.  

We got to the cruise port both times at about 10:30am or 10:45am. They started check-in at about 11am. We were able to give our luggage to the porters before 11am.  Both times, we were the first two guests to board. The ship will be empty until about 5pm when other guests arrive from the train or other excursions.  

If you have a bit of time in Seward, we highly recommend Major Marine tours for the day before the cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Seas2mountains said:

We have done this two times in Seward and most recently in June 2022 with both times our stays were at Harbor 360. You can easily walk from Harbor 360 to the cruise port If walking about a half mile with luggage isn’t a problem for you.  

We got to the cruise port both times at about 10:30am or 10:45am. They started check-in at about 11am. We were able to give our luggage to the porters before 11am.  Both times, we were the first two guests to board. The ship will be empty until about 5pm when other guests arrive from the train or other excursions.  

If you have a bit of time in Seward, we highly recommend Major Marine tours for the day before the cruise. 

Thank you!  

Ours is a Monday departure, in the evening.  I'm planning to get to Seward from Anchorage on Saturday morning, and hoping to do a Kenai Fjords trip with Major Marine either that day or Sunday before embarkation.  A visit to the Sea Life Center is also on my list.   I'm struggling with the timing, so understanding the terminal helps.  If it's walkable, we are good to go - the maps didn't help me that much 

Thanks again!!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CruzinMel said:

Thank you!  

Ours is a Monday departure, in the evening.  I'm planning to get to Seward from Anchorage on Saturday morning, and hoping to do a Kenai Fjords trip with Major Marine either that day or Sunday before embarkation.  A visit to the Sea Life Center is also on my list.   I'm struggling with the timing, so understanding the terminal helps.  If it's walkable, we are good to go - the maps didn't help me that much 

Thanks again!!

The Kenai Fjords boat tours are awesome.  Such an amazing amount of wildlife and natural scenery! You will really enjoy it.  Wear lots of layers -- this was the excursion that made me very glad that I paid attention to the advice to pack lots of layers when traveling to Alaska!  I wore every single layer that day including raincoat and winter scarf/hat/gloves.

The Sea Life Center is also great. It's a good chance to get up close to wildlife since it's in a controlled environment. I think my favorite thing was watching the puffins swim underwater. It looked like they were flying, not swimming! 

Sorry, I'm not much help with walkability in town, because I was having serious knee problems during my Alaska trip.  I do recall that the shuttle buses and other services in Seward are very limited on days when there's no cruise ship in port. So keep that in mind!  There were plenty of good places to eat and shop in certain parts of town, especially near the Sea Life Center. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jjjct said:

Thinking about an Alaska cruise departing Seward, how do you get from Vancouver to Seward?

I'm working on my airfare now, actually.  If I had the time and $$, I'd probably cruise from Vancouver to Seward, and then cruise back - much more fun than a plane!  🙂  I have always wanted to do a BTB cruise, in all seriousness.

Seward is small and doesn't have a large airport - you fly to Anchorage and then either drive or take a bus or train to Seward.  I'm leaning toward the train, myself.

• Like 1

Seward is an easy embarkation port. You can walk to the port and likely wait in a short line to check in unless you happen to get there right after a bus arrived. Embarkation is so spread out throughout the day that it prevents large lines. If you’re done exploring Seward, you might as well head right to the cruise terminal around 11:00 before the train drops off the first set of pax around 11:15. 

• Thanks 1

we are embarking in seward in 2024. hope we made the right choice. i was thinking flying in 2 nights early and do the kanai fojords but since i booked ncl air I dont know if I will have time and wishing I just booked the cruise out of vancouver and ended in seward. It looks like a nice little town. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Seward is an easy embarkation port. You can walk to the port and likely wait in a short line to check in unless you happen to get there right after a bus arrived. Embarkation is so spread out throughout the day that it prevents large lines. If you’re done exploring Seward, you might as well head right to the cruise terminal around 11:00 before the train drops off the first set of pax around 11:15. 

Ooh, that is good advice - thanks!!

Hi….doing the Seward to Vancouver cruise at the end of May 2023….we will fly into ANCHORAGE then the next morning take the train to Seward..about a 4.5 to 5 hour train ride…it will give us a taste of a land cruise…the train ride is offered as an NCL excursion, so I’m assuming they will take care of our luggage…we should get to the ship between 2 and 3 in the afternoon.  We are sailing on the SPIRIT.  Please let me know if you took this cruise or will be taking it…we are still 200+ days out, but I’m getting pretty excited!

8 hours ago, Let Me Travel! said:

Hi….doing the Seward to Vancouver cruise at the end of May 2023….we will fly into ANCHORAGE then the next morning take the train to Seward..about a 4.5 to 5 hour train ride…it will give us a taste of a land cruise…the train ride is offered as an NCL excursion, so I’m assuming they will take care of our luggage…we should get to the ship between 2 and 3 in the afternoon.  We are sailing on the SPIRIT.  Please let me know if you took this cruise or will be taking it…we are still 200+ days out, but I’m getting pretty excited!

We’re sailing on the Spirit May 17. We’re taking an NCL fight in the day before and staying at the NCL hotel. Then we’re taking the shuttle to the cruise port.  It’s my understanding that the train leaves at 12 pm.  Where are you staying overnight and how are you getting back to the train?  It leaves from nearby the airport.  You’ll need to be there around 11 am.  
I looked into the train but it seems easier to just stay at the hotel and go to the port from there.  JMHO. 

We’re really excited too!

@Let Me Travel! and @janice2348

We have cruised out of Seward two times - most recently this past June. We booked the train on our own from Anchorage after flying in the day or several days prior. If you book the train on your own, it will leave from Anchorage at 6:45am and gets to Seward at 11:20am. 

If you can fly in earlier, the Major Marine tour in Seward and the town itself with nearby Exit glacier and the Sea Life Center were very much worth it!  I think Seward is my favorite cruise port of all due to the beautiful scenery.   Have wonderful cruises! 

• Thanks 2

We made reservations at the comfort Inn in Anchorage the night before the cruise.  The hotel has shuttle service to and from the airport so we can board the train at the dedicated train station at the airport between 11AM and 12PM….I guess we will get to the ship closer to embarkation time…works for us! We can’t wait!

8 hours ago, Let Me Travel! said:

We made reservations at the comfort Inn in Anchorage the night before the cruise.  The hotel has shuttle service to and from the airport so we can board the train at the dedicated train station at the airport between 11AM and 12PM….I guess we will get to the ship closer to embarkation time…works for us! We can’t wait!

I hope you enjoy your cruise!

On 11/9/2022 at 3:56 PM, v3cruiser said:

we are embarking in seward in 2024. hope we made the right choice. i was thinking flying in 2 nights early and do the kanai fojords but since i booked ncl air I dont know if I will have time and wishing I just booked the cruise out of vancouver and ended in seward. It looks like a nice little town. 

As an Alaskan who has done the one-way Alaska cruise many ways, both starting in Alaska and starting in Vancouver, I can tell you that both ways are fun, but if you want an easy embarkation, starting in Alaska is hands-down easiest. I hope you get the flights that you want; you could call and request to fly in a day or two early by paying their fee to do so. I would think it wouldn’t be too late since your cruise is so far off from now. Spending more time in Anchorage is what I would recommend and just a little time in Seward as there’s much more to do out of Anchorage than Seward. The boat tour others are referencing is excellent and one night in Seward would certainly be fun. it’s an adorable town. Happy planning!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruzinMel said:

Just because I'm curious, why is it easier to embark from Alaska than Vancouver?

Having made the trip in both directions, I agree that the south bound experience is nicer/ more vacation oriented: Fly to ANCHORAGE, a mid size town that is easy to navigate, stay a little or a lot as you prefer, then catch the train from inside the ANC airport direct to Seward , a very scenic trip. Walk from the train depot a short distance to the ship.  Begin a wonderful scenic cruise ,.     Northbound, it’s get to Vancouver airport or cross the border by land, make your way through very crowded traffic to the cruise port where there may be two to four ships loading at the same time. Deal with the crowds and finally get to the ship worn out..  

• Thanks 1

On 11/10/2022 at 4:46 AM, Let Me Travel! said:

How do you book this? I see the embarkation offer and screen shot it, but it shows in Canadian dollars only. And when i look for this excursion, it only offers Vancouver to airport debarkation offer.