Complimentary Upgrade List while in an Aft-View Verandah (Alaskan Cruise)?

ometauru

My fiancee and I will be doing an Alaskan cruise on the Eurodam in May. It will be our first Alaskan and, after reading that aft-view verandah rooms are "worth the cost" for this cruise, that's what we booked. While booking, I was asked if we would like to be put on the complimentary upgrade list. While the thought of a complimentary upgrade to a suite sounds nice in theory, I was told that they would put us in any room that they deemed 'an upgrade' and that we would not be asked. I don't think we would mind just about any upgrade to a suite, but I think we'd be disappointed if we got 'upgraded' to another verandah that's somewhere else on the ship. We don't have any experience with this process. I don't even know what is considered an 'upgrade' to HAL. Does anyone have an opinion on whether we should stay on the complimentary upgrade list?

Deck 8 Aft cabins are VC category, all other Aft verandah cabins are VB category.

In theory they could upgrade you to a VA or V category, which are all mid-ship cabins. They could even 'upgrade' you to a VT/VQ at the front.  It is unlikely, though slightly possible,  that they would upgrade you to a suite.  If the 'Aft' is where you want to be, then I would say 'No Upgrade!'

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I always say no upgrade especially when I have an aft verandah.   This does not prohibit you from seeking an upsell closer to the cruise date

Great advice!

Whenever I pick my cabin I mark my reservation DO NOT UPGRADE as otherwise HAL can move you to a cabin that you might not be happy with, normally in the same generally category (such as Verandah).  Nowadays it is more unusual to get moved up to a suite for free (it does happen now and again) as normally HAL offers the higher priced cabins to customers as "paid upsells" before they offer free upgrades.  

If you mark your reservation Do Not Upgrade you still can receive paid upgrade offers, which you can accept (for a fee) or reject.  If you accept, you do get to pick your new cabin from what is still available.  While this costs you more money, I like the idea of controlling where my cabin is and I have received some great deals in the past doing this.  Sometimes a late cancellation can result in a great location becoming available at the last minute!

• Like 4