Florida Tropical Storm

Harrisonkid

Yes. Just our luck. We are supposed to fly out of Tampa Wednesday to get to Zurich for a river cruise. According to our son who works at TPA the airport will close when winds reach 34 to 40 mph. I am becoming quite nervous, but can do nothing yet. I called Delta yesterday & we must wait until Delta emails us or pay over $3000 more to change our flight.

4 hours ago, love to cruz said:

Yes. Just our luck. We are supposed to fly out of Tampa Wednesday to get to Zurich for a river cruise. According to our son who works at TPA the airport will close when winds reach 34 to 40 mph. I am becoming quite nervous, but can do nothing yet. I called Delta yesterday & we must wait until Delta emails us or pay over $3000 more to change our flight.

Good luck.   If a storm is imminent they usually offer no change fee options but like you were advised, they don't make the call until they are certain.

• Thanks 1

time of arrival graphicWe're supposed to be flying in late Thur. night and boarding the Apex on Nov. 12th. We've already received an email from American warning that our flight may potentially be impacted. Will be monitoring this anxiously. Fingers crossed.

11 hours ago, love to cruz said:

I called Delta yesterday & we must wait until Delta emails us or pay over $3000 more to change our flight.

I would be checking Delta's website many times per day for the issuance of a weather waiver.  It could be many hours between the issuance of the waiver and you receiving an email alert, and by then, your choices could be limited. Be ready with alternate routes if your first choice is not available (going through Atlanta,  JFK or Minneapolis).  Look under Notifications and then Alerts. Good luck. 

Edited by JFontaine
  • Like 1

We are currently on Summit heading for Cozumel arriving tomorrow and Miami arrival on hopefully Thursday!?  Have AA flight on Thursday at 2 pm.  Have heard Royal has canceled a few sailings. Keeping fingers eyes toes crossed Nicole takes her time!   Just need to get to PHL but this is exactly why you get travel insurance!!🍷🛳

41 minutes ago, cdn_tbird said:

My dilemma now is do I jump on this and make the change now or do I wait to find out what X will be doing? The only business class options I have on American out of Toronto are 6:00am flights. Ugh.

I would grab whatever you can get as early as you can.    We arrived in FLL just as they shutdown all cruises due to Covid.   The airlines immediately put in waivers but we had to wait 2 days for a flight if we wanted to get First.   We could have flown earlier but would have flown coach at the first fare we had already paid.

Luckily the airlines had it setup so you could do everything online without calling in.

• Like 2

"tropical storm" means it might get a little windy and rainy. Likely not much to worry about unless you're scheduled to arrive shortly before your cruise, in which case earlier will be better.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, REEtired said:

We are currently on Summit heading for Cozumel arriving tomorrow and Miami arrival on hopefully Thursday!?  Have AA flight on Thursday at 2 pm.  Have heard Royal has canceled a few sailings. Keeping fingers eyes toes crossed Nicole takes her time!   Just need to get to PHL but this is exactly why you get travel insurance!!🍷🛳

Where did you read that Royal has cancelled cruises? I only read about itinerary changes.

36 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I would grab whatever you can get as early as you can.    We arrived in FLL just as they shutdown all cruises due to Covid.   The airlines immediately put in waivers but we had to wait 2 days for a flight if we wanted to get First.   We could have flown earlier but would have flown coach at the first fare we had already paid.

Luckily the airlines had it setup so you could do everything online without calling in.

I have a bit of an out that affords me a chance to wait and see what develops and what X does. I can always get AA to issue me a credit for the flights which I could then use within their 1 yr time limit for my cruise next Nov.

3 minutes ago, D C said:

"tropical storm" means it might get a little windy and rainy. Likely not much to worry about unless you're scheduled to arrive shortly before your cruise, in which case earlier will be better.  

"tropical storm", I'm not worried about, but when the news reads "Subtropical Storm Nicole is now expected to become a hurricane over the Bahamas before hitting Florida's east coast on Wednesday" that's a different story.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cdn_tbird said:

I have a bit of an out that affords me a chance to wait and see what develops and what X does. I can always get AA to issue me a credit for the flights which I could then use within their 1 yr time limit for my cruise next Nov.

"tropical storm", I'm not worried about, but when the news reads "Subtropical Storm Nicole is now expected to become a hurricane over the Bahamas before hitting Florida's east coast on Wednesday" that's a different story.

That does change things a bit. It was storm-storm-storm last I checked NHC.  Hurricane makes it a bit more interesting.  Need to check on family in the area now.... 

4 minutes ago, D C said:

That does change things a bit. It was storm-storm-storm last I checked NHC.  Hurricane makes it a bit more interesting.  Need to check on family in the area now.... 

Hopefully this turns out to be nothing, but in any case I hope everyone in the area is safe.

• Like 1

Delta (Travel Agent Site)

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency/gb/en/news/exception-policy-archive/2022/november-2022/tropical-storm-nicole---bulletin-1-.html#

Tropical Storm Nicole - Bulletin 1   

TRAVEL EXCEPTION POLICY ADVISORY                      

ISSUED:  November 8, 2022       7:30 AM ET

Applies for tickets issued on or before November 8, 2022

Delta Air Lines is offering a waiver to assist customers whose travel may be impacted by the forecasted path of Tropical Storm Nicole.

Issued On:                          DL 006 Ticket Stock

Applicable to Travel On:  

• Delta Mainline
  • Delta Connection
  • DL marketed/AFKL operated
  • AFKL marketed/DL operated

Date of Impacted Travel:  November 8 - 13, 2022

Affected Area(s) To/From/Through the following cities:

• Daytona Beach, FL (DAB)
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL)
  • Gainesville, FL (GNV)
  • Georgetown, Bahamas (GGT)
  • Jacksonville, FL (JAX)
  • Marsh Harbour, Bahamas (MHH)
  • Melbourne, FL (MLB)
  • Miami, FL (MIA)
  • Nassau, Bahamas (NAS)
  • North Eleuthera, Bahamas (ELH)
  • Orlando, FL (MCO)
  • Providenciales, Turks and Caicos (PLS)
  • Savannah, GA (SAV)
  • Tallahassee, FL (TLH)
  • West Palm Beach, FL (PBI)

Applicable Dates

New travel must originate on or before:                             November 16, 2022

New travel must be rebooked no later than:                      November 16, 2022

Ticket must be reissued on or before:                                  November 16, 2022

Event Waiver Codes:

• Use Waiver code G4D6P for rebooking cabin to cabin
  • Use Waiver code R6B2C to waive change fee only, provided:
    • New itinerary is rebooked/ticketed within all parameters of this policy
    • New itinerary is priced at current applicable fares and rules         
  • Thanks 2

Watching this thread closely, as X doesn't seem to be on top of this very well.

We're on the Friday, Nov 11 Edge sailing out of Port Everglades on a 10-night Southern itinerary. Our Air Canada flight from YYZ is scheduled to arrive at FLL at 9:30 a.m. on Thursday. I'm thinking the flight in might be dicey, depending on how the next 24 hours goes, but I'm not yet prepared to pull the chute on this one!

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Delta (Travel Agent Site)

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency/gb/en/news/exception-policy-archive/2022/november-2022/tropical-storm-nicole---bulletin-1-.html#

TRAVEL EXCEPTION POLICY ADVISORY                      

ISSUED:  November 8, 2022       7:30 AM ET

Applies for tickets issued on or before November 8, 2022

Delta Air Lines is offering a waiver to assist customers whose travel may be impacted by the forecasted path of Tropical Storm Nicole.

Issued On:                          DL 006 Ticket Stock

Applicable to Travel On:  

• Delta Mainline
  • Delta Connection
  • DL marketed/AFKL operated
  • AFKL marketed/DL operated

Date of Impacted Travel:  November 8 - 13, 2022

Affected Area(s) To/From/Through the following cities:

• Daytona Beach, FL (DAB)
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL)
  • Gainesville, FL (GNV)
  • Georgetown, Bahamas (GGT)
  • Jacksonville, FL (JAX)
  • Marsh Harbour, Bahamas (MHH)
  • Melbourne, FL (MLB)
  • Miami, FL (MIA)
  • Nassau, Bahamas (NAS)
  • North Eleuthera, Bahamas (ELH)
  • Orlando, FL (MCO)
  • Providenciales, Turks and Caicos (PLS)
  • Savannah, GA (SAV)
  • Tallahassee, FL (TLH)
  • West Palm Beach, FL (PBI)

Applicable Dates

New travel must originate on or before:                             November 16, 2022

New travel must be rebooked no later than:                      November 16, 2022

Ticket must be reissued on or before:                                  November 16, 2022

Event Waiver Codes:

• Use Waiver code G4D6P for rebooking cabin to cabin
  • Use Waiver code R6B2C to waive change fee only, provided:
    • New itinerary is rebooked/ticketed within all parameters of this policy
    • New itinerary is priced at current applicable fares and rules         

Interesting Tampa isn’t on this list. 

The Thursday arrivals are going to be very risky. We have an 11:00 am flight of EWR to FLL on Friday, so I’m hoping all will be good by then - we will definitely be flying over the thing though.

It really is only supposed to be a very low-grade Hurricane - barely 75 mph and not not for long. In the grand scheme of things, that shouldn’t be too problematic but flooding could be an issue and it would definitely shut down air travel.

For those landing North of Fort Lauderdale (Jacksonville, Orlando), Friday could be a problem as could be plane changes in Atlanta on Friday/Saturday, depending on track and how long the TS force winds keep up.

If they don’t close the interstates, we can drive in plenty of time. It’s the closing of the interstates I worry about since the storm will be covering Georgia/Carolinas during the time we’d need to drive through.  I suppose I-85/I-75 would be an option but not a happy one. But I WILL BE ON THE APEX COME SATURDAY!

• Like 2