Boarding NCL. Why are the cabins not open till after 2pm?

ace2542

Just now, ace2542 said:

On other lines when you board the cabin is ready for. Why on NCL is it not?

They need time to get the rooms cleaned up. I've been on MSC, Princess, Royal, and NCL. The only time that I've ever had the room ready when we boarded is the first cruise of the Bliss after Covid. The ship had been empty so all rooms were ready.

What cruise line have you cruised where rooms are ready?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Doing a room changeover, especially with COVID protocols, takes a lot more time than just the daily cleanup of the rooms. There's only a limited number of staff available to do this. Some individual rooms may be ready if your area happens to be first on that staff member's list.

Part of it depends on when the previous guest left the stateroom. One of the reasons that suites may be available earlier is because the previous suite guest left the ship earlier. The announcement that staterooms are ready may be in the afternoon but some staterooms are ready before 11:30a. 

Also, since suite guests tend to arrive and board earlier (priority boarding), the staff tends to have those staterooms available earlier. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

On other lines when you board the cabin is ready for. Why on NCL is it not?

It's usually been before 2:00 in my experience.  But even if it's 1:00-1:30...

If you assume that everyone doesn't need to be out of their room until 8:30 (IIRC) on changeover day, that gives stewards ~5 hours.  Not sure how many cabins a steward is responsible for but I think I read 10 somewhere (fewer in Haven).  A thorough cleaning/restocking takes longer than a day-to-day cleaning where the same people are coming back each day.  I can understand why they'd need all that time.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 2

On NCL the cabin door sections are locked off with the fire doors closed until annnouncement is made. On Cunard at least the stateroom is already ready when you board. NCL sadly is a zoo when people board at first with people sitting everywhere with bags waiting for the cabins to open.

14 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Boarded QM2 at 12.30pm before in Brooklyn and the cabin was ready and the key was on the mail holding thing outside..

So, that's one example.  (And 12:30 is not that early.)  Your first post said "on other lines," plural.  Do you have more examples from other lines?

Do you realize the effort it takes to turn a ship around?  Do you want your stateroom cleaned thoroughly before it's turned over to you?  Fresh linens, towels?  

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

On NCL the cabin door sections are locked off with the fire doors closed until annnouncement is made. On Cunard at least the stateroom is already ready when you board. NCL sadly is a zoo when people board at first with people sitting everywhere with bags waiting for the cabins to open.

Solution for you is simple: stick to Cunard, and don't slum it on the "zoo" of NCL. 🙄

I've sailed NCL, Celebrity, HAL, RCI.  Staterooms not ready upon boarding at noon, although it's getting more common for the cruise lines to allow you to drop your carry on bags in your cabin upon boarding and then leave (assuming your individual cabin is not yet ready).

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

Not sure how many cabins a steward is responsible for but I think I read 10 somewhere (fewer in Haven). 

In September our room steward told us he was typically assigned to 16 cabins, including two aft Haven suites. On the cruise we were on, he had eight since the ship was at 35'ish percent capacity. 

3 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Solution for you is simple: stick to Cunard, and don't slum it on the "zoo" of NCL. 🙄

I love this! Keep those tuxes off my NCL ships please! I like to chill out on vacation, not feel like I'm all stuffed up in expensive cloth.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Some of us actually like to board the ship and head to the MDR or O'Sheehan's for a leisurely sit down lunch. Our cabin has always been ready by the time we are finished. What's the hurry? Evidently, NCLs cabin readiness upon boarding doesn't meet your criteria, so maybe you should stick with Cunard?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

n September our room steward told us he was typically assigned to 16 cabins, including two aft Haven suites. On the cruise we were on, he had eight since the ship was at 35'ish percent capacity. 

On our cruise on the Pearl two weeks ago, our room steward said he was responsible for 14 cabins, 3 suites and 11 club balcony ( mini) suites.

I'm not sure about that "all the other cruise lines" stuff.   Princess 2018 was the longest wait we've ever had.  First a long wait to get the room, and then our luggage didn't show up until just before dinner time.

I'm not complaining because one person already pointed out, all hospitality and travel outlets have to prepare, and secondly I'm on vacation and having to sit and eat free food for 2 hours while you wait will hopefully be the worst thing that will occur on a luxury vacation.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

You could always pack your swimming outfit and hit the hot tub or pools while you wait for the zoo to settle down. I know it's probably not proper etiquette to do so on embarkation day, but it's NCL so anything goes. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

We usually board around noon, go to a MDR for lunch, and are finishing up our lunch when the announcement is made. Very easy.

• Like 3

My experience has varied by sailing, anytime between 12:00-2:00. And it might be dependent on area of the ship. Some might be finished prior to a formal announcement, and you might find the hallway open and steward finished. I've had that happen a few times. If we board early (e.g., 11:30ish), we usually try to check it out after a drink. If we board later (after 12:00), then we head straight there on the chance it might be ready. 

Edited by weltek
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

In September our room steward told us he was typically assigned to 16 cabins, including two aft Haven suites. On the cruise we were on, he had eight since the ship was at 35'ish percent capacity. 

53 minutes ago, cruiserbear55 said:

On our cruise on the Pearl two weeks ago, our room steward said he was responsible for 14 cabins, 3 suites and 11 club balcony ( mini) suites.

So even more than I thought.  I'm as anxious as anyone to get to my cabin after I board but happy to grab a bite, get my drinking underway, and chill until they're ready.

• Like 1