BOOKING ANOTHER VIKING CRUISE ONBOARD...QUESTIONS, QUESTIONS, QUESTIONS

Fieldofdreams

11 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

On an existing booking, probably not.

Over the years of Viking-watching, I have noticed that they pretty much adhere to not making changes to a contract once it has been agreed upon -- and legally paying the deposit means that you agree to the contract. That means that Viking OBCs and final payment dates have to be negotiated before you pay the deposit.

The only way to get more in the way of an OBC would be to move your booking to a TA who gives OBC (not all do and not all give the maximum Viking allows), if it can still be done at all since Viking has limits on when a booking can be moved to at all (and I don't know what those limits are; maybe someone else can chime in on that).

This!

We booked British Isles explorer and Viking Homelands together as a back to back while onboard.  This was supposed to be on the Neptune, after the WC.  We got notified that Viking had pulled the Neptune from Viking Homelands, but had canceled the whole cruise, not just the Homelands part.  We lost all the perks that we had been given from booking while on the cruise.  I was not happy about that, and my Viking agent went to bat for me with this manager.  As a result, we did manage to get most of the discounts back and what we didn’t get back we got a good sized chunk of OBC.  Then, since it was a new booking, were also able to use some of the coupons we bought on the river cruise so we were pretty much made whole.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MikeyB said:

Bookbabe is asking about an already booked cruise.

All she would be entitled to is the past guest discount of $200 pp.

Sorry-I misread it.  I’m surprised the Viking rep can apply the discount so If consider myself lucky!

4 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

On an existing booking, probably not.

Over the years of Viking-watching, I have noticed that they pretty much adhere to not making changes to a contract once it has been agreed upon -- and legally paying the deposit means that you agree to the contract. That means that Viking OBCs and final payment dates have to be negotiated before you pay the deposit.

The only way to get more in the way of an OBC would be to move your booking to a TA who gives OBC (not all do and not all give the maximum Viking allows), if it can still be done at all since Viking has limits on when a booking can be moved to at all (and I don't know what those limits are; maybe someone else can chime in on that).

I was told you have to move the booking within 30 days though others have reported 60 has worked. And if you already know which TA you want to move it to, they can do that onboard when the make the reservation. We were almost ready to do this on our 1/2 a Transatlantic when we found out we were turning back (damn you Covid) and decided we best not book. Our agent provides the max shipboard credit Viking allows so we always have her get credit for the booking whether we make it online, on the phone, or through her.  Covers our gratuities and leaves a little for the bar bill!😂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

You mean 60 days from the time of booking to move the booking to a TA?

Yes.  I confirm this with my TA every time I transfer a  booking to her.

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

And if you already know which TA you want to move it to, they can do that onboard when the make the reservation. 

This is done automatically by the onboard Viking agent...assuming a relationship with a TA already exists with Viking.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MikeyB said:

This is done automatically by the onboard Viking agent...assuming a relationship with a TA already exists with Viking.

When we booked our upcoming trip on board last December, the cruise consultant on board confirmed with us the name of our TA and made sure that we wanted her name on the booking. At least that gave us a chance to say no, in case perhaps we were considering changing our TA.

• Like 1

There is one thing that I learned recently.  If you refer someone to Viking, both you and they get a discount.  HOWEVER, the person making the reservation must mention it to the CSR and they need your customer number (I never realized I had a customer number).  The CSR cannot bring this up, and the request must be on an incoming call from the customer.

I referred someone to my Viking rep, and I figured that just mentioning my name would be sufficient.  It was not, and it wasn’t until I called my rep for another reason that I found out she did not receive the discount.  I had to message her back and give her the additional info that she needed and she needed to call in herself.  She said it was very easy at that point.  $100 pp off the cruise is still something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mich3554 said:

There is one thing that I learned recently.  If you refer someone to Viking, both you and they get a discount.  HOWEVER, the person making the reservation must mention it to the CSR and they need your customer number (I never realized I had a customer number).  The CSR cannot bring this up, and the request must be on an incoming call from the customer.

I referred someone to my Viking rep, and I figured that just mentioning my name would be sufficient.  It was not, and it wasn’t until I called my rep for another reason that I found out she did not receive the discount.  I had to message her back and give her the additional info that she needed and she needed to call in herself.  She said it was very easy at that point.  $100 pp off the cruise is still something.

Yep, I was surprised when I booked my last cruise and I found out I had a referral discount.  Those combined with the referral rewards our TA provides us has added up over the years! 😊

3 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

There is one thing that I learned recently.  If you refer someone to Viking, both you and they get a discount.

We can talk about the program all we want, but  be aware that offering or asking to share referral #s carries risks, as stated below.

Quoting from the sticky at the top of this forum:

Viking DOES NOT ALLOW REFERRALS to be posted on the internet.

"Advertising of customer name or ID number in public forums such as on the internet, social media or published newsletter is considered misuse of Vikings referral rewards program. Rewards earned will be voided without notice."

http://wpc.475d.edgecastcdn.net/00475D/PDF/VikingReferralRewardsProgram_Update_092017_footer.pdf

[updated September 2017]

• Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 4:24 AM, MikeyB said:

Now that information I would never question!  🙂

I like Viking Oceans and Rivers a lot.  But I don't think that Norwegians know the definition of "loyalty".

It's my belief that it should flow both ways.

I spoke to a "senior sales manager" at Viking a few weeks ago about this issue.  She told me that the calls that Viking makes are targeted.  I told her that Viking runs after the "one and done" cruisers and ignores the base.  She actually agreed with me.

In my next lifetime, I will ask to be connect to Tor.

Mikey - if you want, email me at antrekk8 dot gmail dot com and I’ll send you contact for my Viking agent who I call and always get the OBC if I book within 14 days.

11 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

We can talk about the program all we want, but  be aware that offering or asking to share referral #s carries risks, as stated below.

Quoting from the sticky at the top of this forum:

Viking DOES NOT ALLOW REFERRALS to be posted on the internet.

"Advertising of customer name or ID number in public forums such as on the internet, social media or published newsletter is considered misuse of Vikings referral rewards program. Rewards earned will be voided without notice."

http://wpc.475d.edgecastcdn.net/00475D/PDF/VikingReferralRewardsProgram_Update_092017_footer.pdf

[updated September 2017]

It wasn’t done on a public forum, but in an email.  

7 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

It wasn’t done on a public forum, but in an email.  

I know and I only quoted the open lines of your post, not the whole story, because that was the start of a conversation about referrals. I'm sorry it was confusing.

Inevitably a conversation about referrals gives someone the idea that they should post their referral number here or on some other forum or bulletin board or whatever. I don't want anyone here to unwittingly get into trouble and so I share the reminder.