HAL experts: do you know this item?

Infi

I collect HAL memorabilia, and for my birthday I received a beautiful HAL pin (more like a brooch really), pictured below. It was purchased off eBay and I'm pretty sure it's at least from the last decade or so. I know most of the HAL memorabilia items at this point, but this one has me stumped. Do any of the HAL experts know where it is from? 

IMG_1335.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, VennDiagram said:

Is that writing on the bars at the bottom, or a design?  If it is words, they may provide some info.  Got a jewellers' loupe?

No, just bars as part of the old HAL logo. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

It's beautiful. I have not seen this one before. Could it have been custom made?

Thank you, and that's an interesting suggestion. I don't think so, unless someone was a super HAL fan, but it's certainly possible. I myself am wondering if this was a special giveaway to a select group, like the President's Club or high performing TAs for a particular year.

Edited by Infi

I have this pin too! It came from my mom. My folks were modest 3-star mariners in the 1990s and 2000s, and I would guess it's from the gift shops, maybe a Swarovski as @KenNBarbie suggested. My dad was a Swarovski fan. The pin has no special markings but sure looks pretty. 

Edited by WannaSea

On 11/12/2022 at 12:37 PM, KenNBarbie said:

With the stones, I'm thinking a Swarovski marketed item from the gift shops, in the early 2000s.

Not sure those stones are CZ’s.  With the Pave’ style setting and some  inconsistency in the stones, I would check to know for sure if they are CZ’s or diamonds.   Of course you can’t tell for sure with a photo, but I was a jewelry manufacturer for 30years and I bought a lot of small stones.  I would check for sure. I would also look closely for any markings.  If it is marked as karat gold, could be diamonds, if there are no markings, more likely to be CZ’s on plated brass.  If it is Swarovski,  it is just brass & glass, but I agree, still very nice piece.

Edited by crusinbanjo
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, crusinbanjo said:

Not sure those stones are CZ’s.  With the Pave’ style setting and some  inconsistency in the stones, I would check to know for sure if they are CZ’s or diamonds.   Of course you can’t tell for sure with a photo, but I was a jewelry manufacturer for 30years and I bought a lot of small stones.  I would check for sure. I would also look closely for any markings.  If it is marked as karat gold, could be diamonds, if there are no markings, more likely to be CZ’s on plated brass.  If it is Swarovski,  it is just brass & glass, but I agree, still very nice piece.

Looking at the piece in my hand, my conclusion is it's definitely Swarovski. I'll be modeling it on the Eurodam 11/30-12/10 in the Caribbean, lucky me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

More like silver! 😜

Could, but if it is sterling, it will have a quality mark.  Assuming it is Swarovski, it is brass with a two tone finish that was quite popular a few years back.  Swarovski did quite a bit of custom work in addition to their regular jewelry and crystal lines.

Edited by crusinbanjo

The mystery is solved! Thanks to all for weighing in. It's a beautiful piece and I'm lucky to have received it as a gift. 

Now, the question of what to wear it with, as it's a pretty large and bold piece of jewelry...

Edited by Infi
  • Like 1