Greek Islands in August

dacf

My niece is getting married in Vienna, Austria on Aug. 5th of next summer.   We were thinking of taking a cruise the following week (mid Aug).  We always wanted to see the Greek Islands but also understand how hot it can get in Greece.   Does anyone know if the Greek islands, ie Mykonos, Santorini, etc. gets really hot, example above 35c/95f?  Was anyone there last year to use that as a guide?  Thanks for your help!

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Yep...they definitely can.

Last year's weather has nothing to do with this year's. You can Google search (try, for example, "Santorini August weather) for factual data, as opposed to anecdotal.

Thanks for your response CruiserBruce.  I asked to use last year as a guide because our globe is getting hotter, and I read what has happened last year will become the norm.   I noticed here at home (Calgary Alberta), our temperatures last 2 summers in a row have reached 35c and our summers are getting longer!  I was thinking the actual data was from years past and not necessarily represents what we are facing today.  But as the other person said, we are dying to go, so we should just go!  Thanks so much for your response!

4 hours ago, marazul said:

Check historical data for any location here: 

https://www.wunderground.com/history

And you are dying to go to Greece. It will be hot, but stop overthinking it and go.

Marazul, the link you sent me shows last year and looks like years past although I'm just looking at last year right now.   Oh my goodness I was surprised, I thought those temps were going to be a lot hotter.  Oh what the heck, it's doable - we're going!!!!  LOL!!! Thanks so much Marazul for the link!

2 hours ago, dacf said:

Thanks for your response CruiserBruce.  I asked to use last year as a guide because our globe is getting hotter, and I read what has happened last year will become the norm.   I noticed here at home (Calgary Alberta), our temperatures last 2 summers in a row have reached 35c and our summers are getting longer!  I was thinking the actual data was from years past and not necessarily represents what we are facing today.  But as the other person said, we are dying to go, so we should just go!  Thanks so much for your response!

I am not disagreeing about climate change. However,  here in Northern California,  from 2017 to 2021, we had some of the hottest and driest summers in history,  with major heatwaves, and a lot of dry thunderstorms,  causing historic wildfires. But this year we only had one shorter heatwave and almost no dry thunderstorms. A pretty mild fire season. So 2022 had absolutely NO relationship to 2021.

As a firefighter (retired),  we are required to know some about weather and patterns. Comparing this year to last, or this year to next before we get there, has very poor scientific basis. Yes, Europe has had some notable increases in temps, particularly in 2021 ( we were in Copenhagen this last summer, just before the major heatwave in July). But that really can't be a serious indication of next year's weather...at least not 6-9 months out.

On 11/12/2022 at 9:09 PM, CruiserBruce said:

I am not disagreeing about climate change. However,  here in Northern California,  from 2017 to 2021, we had some of the hottest and driest summers in history,  with major heatwaves, and a lot of dry thunderstorms,  causing historic wildfires. But this year we only had one shorter heatwave and almost no dry thunderstorms. A pretty mild fire season. So 2022 had absolutely NO relationship to 2021.

As a firefighter (retired),  we are required to know some about weather and patterns. Comparing this year to last, or this year to next before we get there, has very poor scientific basis. Yes, Europe has had some notable increases in temps, particularly in 2021 ( we were in Copenhagen this last summer, just before the major heatwave in July). But that really can't be a serious indication of next year's weather...at least not 6-9 months out.

No worries, we're going for it!!  There are 5 cruises that's doing the Greek islands around the dates we can go that we have our eyes on.  Now to narrow it down! 🙂

3 hours ago, dacf said:

No worries, we're going for it!!  There are 5 cruises that's doing the Greek islands around the dates we can go that we have our eyes on.  Now to narrow it down! 🙂

Yay!

Most important is the amount of time in each port. Some lines have very short stays.  

I think this thread is about the "Greek Islands in August."  So I will not get into the usual political stuff on weather (they have never been right).  I will talk about Greece in August.  We have been to the Greek Islands in summer, many times over about 30 years.  Our most recent visit was the summer of 2020 (July and August) when temperatures in Athens were over 100f, fires were burning, smoke was an issue, and it was quite hot on the various islands we visited including Santorini, Mykonos, Rhodes, Naxos, Paxos and more.  We not only visited as a crusier, but we spend a couple of weeks island hopping on ferries.  

Greece can be very hot in August!  This was true thirty years ago (we recall being in Athens when it was about 120f) and it is true today.  The islands are always a little cooler than the mainland, and are often well served with an ocean breeze.  In August 2020 when we were staying on Naxos, we left our A/C hotel, spent the day on the beach (cooling off in the sea) and after sunset would be out and about at restaurants and cafes when the temps dropped into the 80s F.  For us it was all good because hot weather is fine if you go to the beach, and later at night it becomes OK.   Is it always this hot in Greece during August?  No, but it happens enough that folks should be prepared.  Since we usually spend our days on beaches (on any island) it is all good.  Those that insist on walking around villages during the day might find it is not pleasant.  The smart traveler varies their plans based on the weather (one reason among many that we avoid cruise line excursions).

Hank

17 hours ago, marazul said:

Yay!

Most important is the amount of time in each port. Some lines have very short stays.  

Marazul - Oh I know, the first I look for are the ports if they have what interest us.  The second is comparing one line to another how long they are in port.   I want to make sure Santorini is on our itinerary and in port late so we can enjoy supper there somewhere along the whitewashed buildings.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I think this thread is about the "Greek Islands in August."  So I will not get into the usual political stuff on weather (they have never been right).  I will talk about Greece in August.  We have been to the Greek Islands in summer, many times over about 30 years.  Our most recent visit was the summer of 2020 (July and August) when temperatures in Athens were over 100f, fires were burning, smoke was an issue, and it was quite hot on the various islands we visited including Santorini, Mykonos, Rhodes, Naxos, Paxos and more.  We not only visited as a crusier, but we spend a couple of weeks island hopping on ferries.  

Greece can be very hot in August!  This was true thirty years ago (we recall being in Athens when it was about 120f) and it is true today.  The islands are always a little cooler than the mainland, and are often well served with an ocean breeze.  In August 2020 when we were staying on Naxos, we left our A/C hotel, spent the day on the beach (cooling off in the sea) and after sunset would be out and about at restaurants and cafes when the temps dropped into the 80s F.  For us it was all good because hot weather is fine if you go to the beach, and later at night it becomes OK.   Is it always this hot in Greece during August?  No, but it happens enough that folks should be prepared.  Since we usually spend our days on beaches (on any island) it is all good.  Those that insist on walking around villages during the day might find it is not pleasant.  The smart traveler varies their plans based on the weather (one reason among many that we avoid cruise line excursions).

Hank

Thanks for the info!!!   Have you been to Olympia?   I'm wondering if that will be hot like Athens in the city?  There's a few cruises we have our eye on.   Some have Olympia and others have other ports of interest.

1 minute ago, dacf said:

Thanks for the info!!!   Have you been to Olympia?   I'm wondering if that will be hot like Athens in the city?  There's a few cruises we have our eye on.   Some have Olympia and others have other ports of interest.

Yes, we have been to Olympia (twice).  I am not sure that anyplace is as hot as Athens during a summer heat wave.  But yes, Olympia can be hot and many parts of the ruins will have you out in the open.  Olimpia also has an excellent small museum which has lovely A/C and a cafe.  Our Olympia tale is memorable (to us).  A few years ago we were on a HAL cruise when they still had a few dance partner volunteers (they got a free cruise for agreeing to dance with lady passengers).  We became friendly with one of the dance guys who was in his late 50s and in terrific shape.  He had a bicycle on the ship (one of those expensive bikes that folds up) and he decided to ride it to Olympia.  He later told us the long ride back to the port almost "killed me" as it was pretty hot.   I do recommend that folks visit Olympia (whether on an excursion, tour or on your own) as it is an interesting historic place.  And the other options in the region of Kusadasi, are not as nice.  We have rented cars at the port and driven much of the region, which does have a decent beach area (north of Kusadasi).  The day we drove to the beach areas (just exploring) was a nasty day so we settled for having lunch at some cafe overlooking an empty beach.  That cruise was in March (somewhat pre-season) so the region was pretty empty.

Keep in mind that Kusadasi is a very small town (mostly 2 streets) that you can walk through in about 10-15 minutes.  There is a small train station at the far end (where they used to have trains to Olympia) a few shops, rental car places, and a seaside cafe/restaurant where cruisers will go for a cup of coffee or to buy lunch.

Hank

29 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Yes, we have been to Olympia (twice).  I am not sure that anyplace is as hot as Athens during a summer heat wave.  But yes, Olympia can be hot and many parts of the ruins will have you out in the open.  Olimpia also has an excellent small museum which has lovely A/C and a cafe.  Our Olympia tale is memorable (to us).  A few years ago we were on a HAL cruise when they still had a few dance partner volunteers (they got a free cruise for agreeing to dance with lady passengers).  We became friendly with one of the dance guys who was in his late 50s and in terrific shape.  He had a bicycle on the ship (one of those expensive bikes that folds up) and he decided to ride it to Olympia.  He later told us the long ride back to the port almost "killed me" as it was pretty hot.   I do recommend that folks visit Olympia (whether on an excursion, tour or on your own) as it is an interesting historic place.  And the other options in the region of Kusadasi, are not as nice.  We have rented cars at the port and driven much of the region, which does have a decent beach area (north of Kusadasi).  The day we drove to the beach areas (just exploring) was a nasty day so we settled for having lunch at some cafe overlooking an empty beach.  That cruise was in March (somewhat pre-season) so the region was pretty empty.

Keep in mind that Kusadasi is a very small town (mostly 2 streets) that you can walk through in about 10-15 minutes.  There is a small train station at the far end (where they used to have trains to Olympia) a few shops, rental car places, and a seaside cafe/restaurant where cruisers will go for a cup of coffee or to buy lunch.

Hank

Hank -

Wrong "K" town. 😉

Katakolon is theport for Olympia and, yes, nothing to do there there than Olympia.

Kusadasi is the port for Ephesus and if at all possible, the OP should pick a cruise with that port and visit Ephesus.

4 minutes ago, marazul said:

Hank -

Wrong "K" town. 😉

Katakolon is theport for Olympia and, yes, nothing to do there there than Olympia.

Kusadasi is the port for Ephesus and if at all possible, the OP should pick a cruise with that port and visit Ephesus.

ARGH!  What on earth was I thinking (did not even have my margarita yet).  So for anyone reading my post please substitute "Katakolon" for "Kusadasi" with everything else being accurate :).  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Hlitner said:

ARGH!  What on earth was I thinking (did not even have my margarita yet).  So for anyone reading my post please substitute "Katakolon" for "Kusadasi" with everything else being accurate :).  

Was coming on to say the same! 

If I’m honest I was a little disappointed with Olympia, probably as it was cold (October) first thing & I couldn’t concentrate. Museum was fabulous. I will go back to Olympia in warmer times! 

Olympia v Ephesus- Ephesus every time. And I’m Greek 😁

5 hours ago, wineoclock said:

Was coming on to say the same! 

If I’m honest I was a little disappointed with Olympia, probably as it was cold (October) first thing & I couldn’t concentrate. Museum was fabulous. I will go back to Olympia in warmer times! 

Olympia v Ephesus- Ephesus every time. And I’m Greek 😁

Agree,  Ephesus have long been among our favorite ruins (along with Abu Simbel).  

• Like 2