Door to Door question

fudge

I am starting to look for a cruise for 2024, when I look at what is on offer most cruises say door to door, when I click on "view more" it only included a private transfer? Am I missing something?  Surely door to door includes everything or am I confusing it with port to port?

19 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

I just checked the SS website and the April 10 departure in the Med is properly showing D2D features. I didn't check any other dates.

Thank you, it must be me! I just checked again Lisbon to Barcelona. April 2nd 2024 to 12th April, Red crosses through everything except transfers, very odd??

1 hour ago, fudge said:

I am starting to look for a cruise for 2024, when I look at what is on offer most cruises say door to door, when I click on "view more" it only included a private transfer? Am I missing something?  Surely door to door includes everything or am I confusing it with port to port?

Sometimes they only offer D2D without flights.

1 hour ago, commodoredave said:

I just checked the SS website and the April 10 departure in the Med is properly showing D2D features. I didn't check any other dates.

Thank you, it must be me! I just checked again Lisbon to Barcelona. April 2nd 2024 to 12th April, Red crosses through everything except transfers, very odd??

21 minutes ago, Nuka said:

Sometimes they only offer D2D without flights.

Thank you, that seems the case for this cruise, not sure why SS put door to door when clearly it isn't? How confusing, before I looked at the d to d, on the main page in small print it says air credit included, all very odd.

Edited by fudge

2 hours ago, commodoredave said:

Door to Door includes everything as in air flights, pre- and post-cruise hotels, and 2 private transfers. 

My experience with D2D is that it does NOT include pre and post hotel stays on the classic ships. I think on expedition cruises it may include hotels. My July 2022 cruise on the Moon did not include the hotel, but our 11-21-22 cruise on the Dawn DID include two nights pre-hotel.

32 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

My experience with D2D is that it does NOT include pre and post hotel stays on the classic ships. I think on expedition cruises it may include hotels. My July 2022 cruise on the Moon did not include the hotel, but our 11-21-22 cruise on the Dawn DID include two nights pre-hotel.

It does include a precruise hotel for certain cruises. I have it on the Dec 2 Muse from Singapore. Assume it's because the flights from the US to certain ports are so long. I leave SFO on the 29th and get to SIN on the 1st. International date line and all.

It’s geospecific. 
It’s probably because you are in Cyprus. 
In Bermuda I get the same with everything except the transfers crossed out and the credits already applied to the price. 
Which is silly because there’s no Blacklane in Bermuda, my TA has to get SS to add the credit for that later. 

Basically, if you are looking at the SS website from a location whence SS air isn’t offered, you’ll see all the red crosses. It’s still D2D, but it’s actually cruise only, nothing else. 

Edited by jollyjones

49 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

I made at typo- I meant to write" it does NOT include pre and post hotel stays on ALL of the classic ships".

29 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

It’s geospecific. 
It’s probably because you are in Cyprus. 
In Bermuda I get the same with everything except the transfers crossed out and the credits already applied to the price. 
Which is silly because there’s no Blacklane in Bermuda, my TA has to get SS to add the credit for that later. 

Basically, if you are looking at the SS website from a location whence SS air isn’t offered, you’ll see all the red crosses. It’s still D2D, but it’s actually cruise only, nothing else. 

Thank you JollyJones, that all makes sense, from another Jones.

All of this just serves to emphasize how complicated, confusing, and flawed the whole D2D concept is. It's bad enough that Silversea is pushing all these add-ons that no one ever asked for, but they're not even doing it in a consistent, understandable manner. The only add-on that some of us care about is air, and even that is being handled in a bewildering way. Just tell us what the damn cruise costs and give us access to someone at SS who can lay out the options and prices of the various air options. Putting your customers in a bad mood from Day One is not a sound business practice.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

@fudge I just looked up your April 2, 2024 voyage from the US, and it shows everything included, including air and transfers, for a D2D booking. I am just guessing that included air is for transcontinental travel, but doesn't apply within Europe. Or perhaps just not from Cyprus? ☹️

image.thumb.png.a9307db8e8760331859255a85325c095.png

I tried to start a booking for a classic veranda suite to find the prices, and here's what it shows for D2D and P2P.

image.thumb.png.bae776c2f0aab8acfaf5d096ec914a88.png

A few interesting things to note:

• There is no included hotel pre- or post-cruise for this itinerary
  • The difference in price from D2D to P2P is $1,800 per suite, or $900 per person. Clicking the link for Economy Class flights on the D2D reveals that the air credit for not using the included economy air is $900 per person. So, at least in this instance, D2D without air and P2P are priced identically. By gosh, that actually makes sense! (And D2D includes airport-to/from-ship transfers, which P2P does not.) 
  • The P2P says "Payment 100%* refundable until 150 days pre-cruise — exactly the same wording as the D2D. I don't know if this is a website mistake, or if it is an indication they are starting to get rid of the disliked 15% cancelation penalty for P2P cruises. The Terms and Conditions page on the website still states there is a 15% cancellation penalty for P2P, so these two places on the web site are contradictory. Not that this is anything new for SS! 😉

How do these US prices compare to what you are seeing?

• Like 1

Thank you so much for taking the time to research our cruise, that was very thoughtful of you.

It looks like booking from the US and Europe are totally different for some reason?  I just looked on the Silversea web site, its quite bazaar, on the first page it shows door to door and port to port and shows what is included, even before I choose a cruise I press the door to door option and there are Red crosses in the flight box, the same with the Port to port?  Maybe its me being a simpleton, I confess to not being the sharpest tool in the box!

It looks like its in the "too hard tray" for me?

Anyway, Mrs. Fudge is very careful with money, maybe I should just go for cruise only, we have a holiday home in the UK, its only a two hour flight to Spain and really cheap air fares. 

Thanks again.

As I mentioned, it’s geospecific ie it depends where you, or actually your computer is when you are looking at the SS website. SS knows where you are!!
If your computer were to be in the US, you would see the usual US booking info, without the red crosses and priced in $ US. 
If your computer were to be in the UK, ditto on the info - no red crosses but pricing in sterling. 
You could use a VPN to see terms and pricing different to that which is available to you in Cyprus, but I don’t know if you could book anything that way, I doubt it. 
Even when I book on board, I can still only get the Bermuda terms, with all the red crosses. 

Edited by jollyjones

49 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

As I mentioned, it’s geospecific ie it depends where you, or actually your computer is when you are looking at the SS website. SS knows where you are!!
If your computer were to be in the US, you would see the usual US booking info, without the red crosses and priced in $ US. 
If your computer were to be in the UK, ditto on the info - no red crosses but pricing in sterling. 
You could use a VPN to see terms and pricing different to that which is available to you in Cyprus, but I don’t know if you could book anything that way, I doubt it. 
Even when I book on board, I can still only get the Bermuda terms, with all the red crosses. 

That makes it clear now, SS spying on me (lol)  I do have a vpn on, you are so clever thank you, out of interest I will turn it off and see what happens?  Bermuda, you lucky thing. 

@pmcer Thanks for catching that. I should have realized when there wasn't the 15% cancellation penalty on the no-flights option. It also explains why the no-flights price exactly equals the with-flights price minus an air credit. Sorry that I thought it revealed something more than it does. (Wish we could edit posts!)

11 hours ago, gnome12 said:

You can for about 15 minutes after posting. Click on the 3 dots on the top right of the post and select edit.

Thanks! I'm aware of that, but I was referring to the post I made above from the previous day — and there's no way to edit that. :classic_sad: