9:00AM Flight Home — Yep, did it!

What A Market

8 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

But what time did you (or were you scheduled to) disembark? Presumably you didn't walk off as soon as they opened the gangway.

My bag time was 8:30 am.  If I was going to plan on a 9 am flight, I would have taken my bags off.  But I am told that even the self disembark passengers on the crossing couldn't get off until 8:30 am or later.  

We came off the Beyond on Sunday. Easiest walk-off ever. We were in a upper level suite and had carry-ons only. Got luggage tags for Group 1. The 9:00 am flight to DFW was leaving from gate next to where we choose to sit and wait. We could have made the flight but I would have worried about it for sure. 

On 11/15/2022 at 7:01 AM, basenji56 said:

My bag time was 8:30 am.  If I was going to plan on a 9 am flight, I would have taken my bags off.  But I am told that even the self disembark passengers on the crossing couldn't get off until 8:30 am or later.  

Well, there is always the chance that there will be a problem. Sounds like you were on a TA, maybe that  caused extra problems with immigration? 

On 11/14/2022 at 8:23 PM, Stealthdog said:

Glad it worked for you.  I personally would be so stressed the whole time. 🙂

We are taking the auto train on Samford to go home after our next cruise and I'm already stressed about it. 

Exactly.  If even one thing is off the flight would be missed.  

On 11/13/2022 at 10:15 AM, What A Market said:

Ok, loads of conditions and caveats about booking and making this early AM fight after disembarkation.  
Note: This is not a recommendation.  Probably like many of you, I am always wondering what time is reasonable for booking flights.

And also like many of you, I read numerous postings on this subject.  Here’s my experience.

Our cruise was on the Equinox. In and out of Port Everglades. We just disembarked yesterday.  (I started a Live thread, but that was a complete bust.) We flew in a day early. (Flying from Arizona to Florida makes all but impossible to fly in same day of embarkation. I wouldn’t risk regardless.)  A work event created the situation where I needed to get back to AZ by at least late afternoon. 

Flying out of Fort Lauderdale was the ONLY reason I booked a flight out at 9:00AM.  I’ve flown in and out of this airport a number of times for both cruises and work, so I’m as comfortable with this airport as one can be.

Other factors that made this “doable”:

We were in Retreat, so had access to private/early walk off.  We also kept our luggage with us.

I pre-booked private transportation to airport.

Flying first class.

We both have TSA.

Disembarkation did not begin until 7:30AM, so this was somewhat stressful.  The posted arrival time in port was 7:00AM.  The Retreat hosts said earliest time for disembarkation would be 7:15 to 7:20.  DW and I stood at Retreat disembarkation door just to be sure we could be first off. (I always feel stupid doing this.  LOL)  We cleared an actual in-person customs check quickly. My car arrived within a couple of minutes, and we were off to airport. We were at gate for flight before 8:10AM.  

Would I do this again?  Not sure.  Likely only if work dictated. (Retiring in a few months, so likely I never have to think about this again.)

Obviously, everything went right to make this work.  The cruise ship not clearing their own clearance process would have blown the whole thing up from the start, but the travel gods smiled upon us this time.

Nice.  We should make a traveling trophy--to be possessed by the current record holder.

• Haha 2

I appreciate the OP experiment.  We usually only book air after 1pm but this coupled with our more recent experiences makes us a little more comfortable moving that back to 11am or after which opens up a lot more flights for us.

thank you

17 minutes ago, granddutchess said:

I agree with some of the other posters.  It is just too STRESSFUL nowadays with such a short time window booking an early flight.  So many variables that you have no control over.  Have traveled a lot recently and the airports are understaffed as is customs etc.  

Global has almost no line at my airport and comes with Pre-Check so it shortens both the departure airport and the arrival airport experience.

On 11/18/2022 at 10:32 AM, mahdnc said:

Nice.  We should make a traveling trophy--to be possessed by the current record holder.

Ah yes.  I think that the record holder would dive into the water off of the ship.  Zip into a waiting UBER and catch a 700 AM flight while running through the airport to the gate . 🙂

Once this record was recorded others would dive before the ship docked...

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, granddutchess said:

NutsAboutGolf I agree about having Global Entry which I do.  I was just stating that for those who may not have GE staff shortages impact all aspects of travel. I am glad you are not experiencing any travel delays.

Forgot about that as I already have it; had a friend wait over a year to get their GE interview

On 11/17/2022 at 10:28 PM, MisterBill99 said:

Well, there is always the chance that there will be a problem. Sounds like you were on a TA, maybe that  caused extra problems with immigration? 

On a TA the USDH (Health) must clear the ship before anyone disembarks.  Passport clearance by CBP varies by port from show your passport and walk off - Boston, to waiting in long lines - usually Tampa.  You never know.

Had a police incident at the pier one cruise that froze everyone in place for 2 hours.

12 hours ago, granddutchess said:

NutsAboutGolf I agree about having Global Entry which I do.  I was just stating that for those who may not have GE staff shortages impact all aspects of travel. I am glad you are not experiencing any travel delays.

Best to do Enrollment on Arrival if flying into a qualifying airport from an International Flight. I don't think it's available at any cruise ports (would be great if it were, but they don't typically have enough people there to handle it). My wife will have her interview at JFK when we return from Buenos Aires at the end of February. 

We actually could have done it last year in Nassau, Bahamas when flying back from a Crystal cruise (before they went out of business, obviously). The US immigration is actually in Nassau, and they do EOA there. But I had not applied for her GE at that point. They've been piloting online interviews, but that hasn't been rolled out yet.

Edited by MisterBill99