Comped cruise

batoryfirst

Buy a policy from a 3rd party vendor or a broker. Put the cost of the trip at $500. (I say $500 because pricing is the same from $1 to $500, then increases at $500 increments)

You'll still get the full medical and evac coverage this way. You'll also have a bit of the rest of the comprehensive if needed.

• 1 year later...

We have a comped cruise with a cost of $60pp due to a room upgrade. We just need the emergency medical and evac backup, so we purchased through the cruiseline for $78. Does this seem legit?  

6 hours ago, kathynorth said:

We have a comped cruise with a cost of $60pp due to a room upgrade. We just need the emergency medical and evac backup, so we purchased through the cruiseline for $78. Does this seem legit?  

What do you mean by "legit"?

If it's "is this worth the money", then.... what *exactly* is covered, and what are the payments for those problems?

GC

9 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

What do you mean by "legit"?

If it's "is this worth the money", then.... what *exactly* is covered, and what are the payments for those problems?

GC

Maybe I used the wrong term. This is the cruise line insurance and it covers trip reimbursement as well as medical and evacuation. I understand the limits of ship sponsored insurance is a bit low, but we do have reimbursement through our regular insurance. Because the price of the cruise is so low the insurance rate is also low. I’m wondering if we will still be covered if there is an emergency because the price is so low.

8 minutes ago, kathynorth said:

Maybe I used the wrong term. This is the cruise line insurance and it covers trip reimbursement as well as medical and evacuation. I understand the limits of ship sponsored insurance is a bit low, but we do have reimbursement through our regular insurance. Because the price of the cruise is so low the insurance rate is also low. I’m wondering if we will still be covered if there is an emergency because the price is so low.

[emphasis added]

It's still the same answer, in terms of "wondering if [you] will still be covered if there is an emergency because the price is so low."

"...If it's "is this worth the money":  What *exactly* is covered, and what are the payments for those problems?..."

You need to decide how likely some of those specific covered risks are, and what the cost is likely to be if that should happen... and then, could you cover those costs yourself or do you prefer to pay for insurance to help with any such costs?

Some "situations" are covered by each policy, and those are written out in the policy, along with the coverage limits for the policy as a whole and also for that specific event/situation.

Is the limit for a medical service capped at a low amount or a high amount (and what is "low" or "high" for you may be considered differently by someone else), and is that "enough" for *you*?

Think of it in terms of looking at a car:  "Is a car worth $XX,xxx?"?

Which car is it?  Is it new or used, good condition, etc., or...?

One can't just say that some specific price is a "good price for a car" or if it's a suitable car for *you*, without knowing *which* car it is, etc.

If all policies were identical (they are *not*), then making comparisons on the cost of the coverage ("high" or "low", etc.) would make more sense.  However, it's more like, do you want to pay more for more coverage (higher limits, more events covered) or pay less for less coverage (which may or may not be enough for your own specific needs or preferences)?

Policies can differ dramatically, so it's always important to read and understand all of the Terms & Conditions (T&Cs) of any policy you are considering.

Speaking with a travel insurance broker, who deals with a variety of policies and insurers, might be useful to explore what coverage choices are available, and at what costs.

GC

On 3/30/2024 at 7:29 AM, kathynorth said:

Another possibly stupid question. When you purchase cruiseline insurance, can you insure just 1 person in the cabin or do you need to purchase for both occupants?

Not stupid -- it is very opaque! You can purchase different levels of insurance (including no insurance) for each occupant.

However that is not the end of it. Here is an example: I purchased 90% CFAR coverage for my mom and her sister, sharing a room. My aunt bailed; however, her 90% refund would not have covered my mom's having to pay solo supplement for occupying the cabin by herself! We just had my aunt be a "no-show" at embarkation. So basically, I wasted the cruiseline insurance payment, as I got nothing from it.