I just did a thing.......

graphicguy

On 11/15/2022 at 4:43 PM, shipgeeks said:

We've been pining over that cruise plus the 4-day that follows.  We loved Seaside just before the lockdown (did 7+7 night B2B).

The only thing that's stopping us these days is having to fly.  All our cruises this year have been from Baltimore, which we can get to by road in a few hours.  Now if only they would put Armonia in Baltimore, we'd be aboard multiple times every year.

I live in the DC area too.  MSC will be sailing from New York.  It may not be as convenient but I have taken the train to that port and it has been easy.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2022 at 10:36 AM, graphicguy said:

As @Georgia_Peaches likes to post, here are the financials and reasoning of this booking.

I like deals…not necessarily cheap deals (although I have just come off the cheapest 7 day cruise I’ve ever taken a few weeks ago), but good value deals.  Good value for the cruise line.  Good value when compared to other cruise lines’ sailings on the same itinerary, same/similar dates, same/similar cabin and perks.  And finally, a good fare value.

I like to sail in the Spring.  It kicks off my Summer in a positive way.  Hurricanes don’t bother me.  Ships can sail around them.  Or, in worst case scenarios, the cruise is canceled.  I have been sailing a long time (first cruise was on the NCL Norway).  I’ve only had once cruise canceled because of a hurricane…and that’s over 30 cruises.  You can view that a couple of different ways.  Either I’m quite lucky, or I’m due.  Either way, I’m not scared.

Fresh off the NCL Breakaway to Canada last month, having had a great time, I immediately started looking, again.  I have a problem.  I’m aware of that.  I’m retired.  I’m an empty nester.  I have nothing that restricts me from taking a cruise almost whenever I want.  I’m willing and able to do so.  So, with all that in mind, I search for cruises whenever possible.

I’ve only taken 2 MSC cruises.  One out of FL on the Divina 6 years ago (when MSC was just starting to sail out of North America).  The other in the Mediterranean 5 years ago with the (then) GF, my son, my sisters and assorted nieces and nephews.  All were in the Yacht Club.

I was status matched at the time to my NCL status (I think Platinum, which changed to Sapphire recently).  MSC matched me to “Black Card” status, their highest ranking.  That has since changed to “Diamond” recently, but still their highest ranking.  Not exactly sure why.  MSC would send me an email every once in a while stating my “status” was going to expire.  But, every time I looked, it never did.  No difference this time.  Even though I haven’t sailed with them in 5 years, my status still shows Diamond, good thorough the end of 12/2023.  OK…if you say so.

When I took my last MSC cruises, the YC was relatively cheap compared to NCL’s Haven, Royal’s Star Suites, or Carnival’s Havana Suites.  As word got out about them, prices rose to the point where they were no longer a “deal”.

Back on the cruise hunt.

If I could have pulled it off with flights, dog sitters, etc, I would have stayed on board the NCL Breakaway from my Canada itinerary for a repo cruise, and still be on her right now, sailing towards New Orleans.  The deal was that good.  C’est la Vie!

The new hunt has been on since I dropped off my luggage in my laundry room to wash out the old cruise diddys to await my return to pack it again for a new cruise.  So, found one.

Right…right…quit “back storying and pontificating”…just get to the deal…

All rates are for a solo…

-May 14th-7day cruise out of Orlando on the MSC Seaside in a YC inside cabin.

Fare=$1,519+$140 for tips and fees-Gross total $1,659.

TA is offering a $125 discount=$1,534

MSC is offering $200 OBC

AMEX Platinum…nothing…nada….MSC does not recognize (more like won’t pay for) that AMEX Platinum perks.

There’s a little bit of a glitch with one of MSC’s perks. This was booked when MSC was offering a FREE BALCONY UPGRADE.  Look as hard as I could, I saw NO qualifiers on their web site.  My TA says MSC won’t allow the upgrade in the YC.  She’s still working on this with their booking managers.  So, we’ll see where that ends up.

There’s a long winded explanation of how much it will cost.

The ship’s itinerary is one I’ve done many times before….EXCEPT….Ocean Cay, which is MSC’s marine preserve, which I understand is fantastic.  Plus, we stay docked there overnite, meaning I can hang out there and enjoy it’s evening entertainment of a light house show, food and drink menus, and just wander back to the ship without worrying about it leaving.  Looking forward to that.

I just got off Seashore with that promo.  The upgrade is from oceanview to balcony.  Since Yacht Club is interior only I was able to get the OBC which was a win but no balcony upgrade.  I think I saw it in the terms and conditions somewhere too.  If you are able to pull it off please let us know or PM me as I would love to hear about it.  Yacht Club interior can still be a great value, especially for a solo.

Oh, and I agree.  While I will always look at price the lowest price does not equal the best value.  I am all about value too.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

Shaking my head. 

The categories in YC are YIN (yacht club interior/inside) and YC Deluxe Suite.   It is NOT a "Yacht Club Balcony". Even though it has a balcony it is NOT a Balcony cabin.  The categories outside of YC include:  Interior, Oceanview, and Balcony.  Thus the promo was "get a Balcony cabin for an Interior price."  Applicable outside of the Yacht Club.

And if your (flawed) logic was applicable, then why couldn't I book an Inside and INSIST I get an Aurea Whirlpool cabin since it has a Balcony? How about the MSC Yacht Club Duplex Suite with whirlpool since that has a balcony?  Terms and conditions are just that - of course there is fine print, and exclusions."  They are 100% whatever the cruiseline wants them to be.

The promo never, ever applied to Yacht Club. 

LOL, why is this upsetting you so much? The OP just said they didn't see anything in the T&C about this. If they did, they would be fine. But regardless, if they want to call MSC and try to get this done, who does it hurt?

Can you post a link where it says this?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 9876 said:

Yacht Club interior can still be a great value, especially for a solo.

YIN is a great alternative. If you are the type who likes to hang on the balcony eating breakfast, drinking coffee, etc., then not so much. But otherwise, those cabins can be half the cost of a deluxe.

Also, you can upgrade when you get on the ship. My last cruise (Seashore, 7 day) I had a YIN and upgraded for $500 (total for 2 pax) to a deluxe when I checked in. But worst case, you're still in the YC 🙂

I have a YIN booked on the Seascape Jan 2024. I'll try to upgrade...either through a bid or once onboard, but if not, I'm fine with it. When I started sailing the deluxe cabins were reasonable, now they run $4500+. While this is still a *great* deal compared to Haven or Retreat, if I can be in the YC for half that price and just have to have a cabin with a crappy bathroom and no closet space, I'll take that. Beats steerage any day.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, alyssamma said:

YIN is a great alternative. If you are the type who likes to hang on the balcony eating breakfast, drinking coffee, etc., then not so much. But otherwise, those cabins can be half the cost of a deluxe.

Also, you can upgrade when you get on the ship. My last cruise (Seashore, 7 day) I had a YIN and upgraded for $500 (total for 2 pax) to a deluxe when I checked in. But worst case, you're still in the YC 🙂

I have a YIN booked on the Seascape Jan 2024. I'll try to upgrade...either through a bid or once onboard, but if not, I'm fine with it. When I started sailing the deluxe cabins were reasonable, now they run $4500+. While this is still a *great* deal compared to Haven or Retreat, if I can be in the YC for half that price and just have to have a cabin with a crappy bathroom and no closet space, I'll take that. Beats steerage any day.

Excellent points.

I’ve cruise a lot…on just about every mainstream line (haven’t sailed Princess, yet).  I’ve been in a teeny-tiny solo cabin on NCL to Havens with NCL (also have ONLY sailed in YC cabins on Meriviglia and Divina).  Sailed everything in between.  I’ve sailed with my (former) GF and have sailed solo a lot.

My Alaska cruises, my Mediterranean cruises, and my most recent East Coast cruise, I used my Balconies a lot. Bahamas/Mexico, which is this cruise’s itinerary, I’ve been to a lot.  Balconies are not a big deal.

Since I’ve cruised a lot, I’ve had my fair share of working in the narrow silos the cruise lines force us into.  All the while having to give the cruise lines’ our money with their iron clad “we keep your money, no matter why you have to cancel”.

So yeah, I plan on holding the cruise lines to their word with their marketing and ads.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, 9876 said:

I just got off Seashore with that promo.  The upgrade is from oceanview to balcony.  Since Yacht Club is interior only I was able to get the OBC which was a win but no balcony upgrade.  I think I saw it in the terms and conditions somewhere too.  If you are able to pull it off please let us know or PM me as I would love to hear about it.  Yacht Club interior can still be a great value, especially for a solo.

Oh, and I agree.  While I will always look at price the lowest price does not equal the best value.  I am all about value too.  

Thanks!

I looked and looked and didn’t see any Ts and Cs aligned with the “FREE BALCONY UPGRADE”.  No asterisks…no nothing.  And, when I clicked on the promo’s link, it didn’t go to anything remotely related to the promo.  MSC has since taken the promo away.

I’d take a nice OBC in lieu of the balcony upgrade.

Lowest price rarely correlates to value.  I’m like you.  Value trumps lowest price every time.

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Insurance secured.  Flights booked.  Now, the waiting period………

Yawn…………………………..

Dug up some pics from my last Meriviglia cruise in the Mediterranean 5 yeas ago (to the week)….to die me over!!!!!

2021C759-C57F-4553-BE0C-2368609BB85A.jpeg

02BAFA96-41A1-48B7-980E-F4D86B75C043.jpeg

4496806B-A5CF-4B3D-8B7B-899CA3FE4FDD.jpeg

Yay!  When’s the big day?!

• Like 1

@graphicguy I ended up turning down the job offer that would have prevented me from joining Ed and @ESCARGO on the April 22 Meraviglia sailing out of Brooklyn, so I booked that solo under the Cyber Monday sale. Plus, I convinced my husband to switch our 5/6 Summit sailing to the Meraviglia's repositioning sailing on April 9. So I will be doing kind of a back-to-back. Only caveat is that there is a mysterious 2-day break in between the two sailings, so I will stay with my friend in NYC between the two cruises while my husband flies home. Will be fun and interesting to try out MSC. I will definitely share all of my thoughts with you before your May 14 sailing!

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

@graphicguy I ended up turning down the job offer that would have prevented me from joining Ed and @ESCARGO on the April 22 Meraviglia sailing out of Brooklyn, so I booked that solo under the Cyber Monday sale. Plus, I convinced my husband to switch our 5/6 Summit sailing to the Meraviglia's repositioning sailing on April 9. So I will be doing kind of a back-to-back. Only caveat is that there is a mysterious 2-day break in between the two sailings, so I will stay with my friend in NYC between the two cruises while my husband flies home. Will be fun and interesting to try out MSC. I will definitely share all of my thoughts with you before your May 14 sailing!

Hey Jamie…..I could kind of tell you were ambivalent about the new gig.  So, I’m sure you made the right choice.

Wish I could join you, Ed and Ted on that 4/22 cruise.  Just can’t rearrange some prearranged things.  One would think the retirement piece would allow me to be more flexible, but not to be this go round.

I’m still eyeballing some sailings on different lines for Feb.  Haven’t found a good value, yet.  Doesn’t mean they won’t present themselves, though.

It’s been a while since I’ve sailed MSC.  Looking forward to it.

Love to hear your thoughts as the sail dates draw near, and you’re aboard.

Edited by graphicguy