Fire and Ice : A photo travelogue from Alaska thru the canal to the Caribbean and beyond

scubacruiserx2

On 11/23/2022 at 11:53 AM, scubacruiserx2 said:

On Wednesday September 28th we stopped at Skagway at 0700 - 2030 and we booked a guide named Thomas from Tours by Locals for a day photography tour to the Yukon .

We stopped by the Artic Brotherhood and the Red Onion for a photo

image.thumb.jpeg.78103b7855a14480f5b3b56e2362c58c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b4053087baae8fbf2c24cdf1fc2df9b8.jpeg

And stopped at a small waterfall

image.thumb.jpeg.74fa7a0efb08f9f090a9468a7667aa0c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2548ac9ade763bae090dd945df79c04d.jpeg

We had the ultimate day trip with Dyea Dave…the exact opposite experience.  Sorry to hear that your day was not up to “Snuff”.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, northernphoenix said:

We had the ultimate day trip with Dyea Dave…the exact opposite experience.  Sorry to hear that your day was not up to “Snuff”.

So glad to hear that . Of about 50 independent guides 47 or 48 were very good or excellent . You will know when we like them when we show them in photos but we've only had 1 or 2 bad eggs in about 30 years .

• Like 1

The Alaska cruise was over and we're slipping into Vancouver under the cover of darkness and the smell of brimstone

image.thumb.jpeg.5b82fcfea64a837081b2ea8e26d083f0.jpeg

We're at the end of the hall and our bags stayed inside . Everything on a hanger with the bags were moved down 2 floors

image.thumb.jpeg.5c49b21744f066973a52c71dece563d3.jpeg

Breakfast was room service as we got off early to visit Vancouver

image.thumb.jpeg.4d6fcf8b39b0668c0b83342bf32adfa6.jpeg

There was only 1 teaspoon of Cottage Cheese

image.thumb.jpeg.4318f915fa9d6620dc42021728d8deb3.jpeg

We proceeded to the Gangway with In Transit card and old and new Key Card in hand. Started out good until we got to Customs and  Immigration. We understood that we were suppose to walk out like a regular visit in port ( In Transit card with our passport through the crew line ) . Nope. Tried to go to Visitors and Crew and the young lady would not let us pass. We got in line with everyone else and when we got to Officer, we did not have our paperwork. We had turned it in the day before to the ship ( a discussion ..). Another officer came over and took care of the paperwork and got us through. Walked outside to pick-up areas for buses etc. A bit of a walk and we came out at the street in front of Pan Pacific Vancouver, where we met our guide Mahara. We thought that she may be a hand full .

image.thumb.jpeg.de6f22bb4ff9c7e025b0eb1f80bbf24e.jpeg

Edited by scubacruiserx2
  • Like 3

Capilano.  Could have stayed there for days.  Love it.    We got off the HO HO bus and the Capilano tour lady asked it we would like to go. Free on highway bus. Sure we would.  Only passengers on the bus, same on return.  Mr & Mrs in their limo     Lol.  

• Like 1

We did make a couple of other stops ( but not for lunch ) .

image.thumb.jpeg.d531224b30f97bbceee7ab72d6a16123.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c7b3bce24a7af219e4059d712dd7a669.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6bd7387f4a4284d5043413dba510e16f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7671b2ca6da15fe61a68a50afe03396a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ef05d2467c5b2941c71912207825bb0e.jpeg

Mahara spent a lot of time on the phone and let us know that someone else had hired her and that she needed to get us back pronto . We would give her a 7 as a result of being cut short on time .

• Like 2

With the new cruise we got a new room and a new Retreat room since the other one that we first had was rented to someone else . When we went to our new cabana  - it was occupied . We spoke to the workers who mentioned to their boss who said that our new one was already rented . We went to the concierge who checked with Seattle . Even though we had booked and paid for it in advance they had resold it to someone else ! While we had the same attendants we now had a side Retreat that didn't get the forward breeze .

image.thumb.jpeg.6a134b588c3d81ecdc60dfd3fbac6c88.jpeg

Additionally, we got a "new" revised itinerary. Surprise! Once again Nicaragua (10/16, now Sea Day) was cancelled along with Puerto Chiapas. Manzanillo 8am-5pm on 10/12 (originally a sea day) was the replacement for Puerto Chiapas (10/14) now a Sea Day. The date for Huatulco was changed by a day later 10/13 to 10/14 and time was changed from 10am-6pm to 8am-3:30pm. Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala time change was 8am-6pm, new time 10am-8pm. Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica had a time change from 8am-6pm to 8am-8pm. 

Some changes were welcomed, but we had to scramble to let guides know and check availability on HAL's high-speed internet. Fortunately all were able to accommodate the changes.

Edited by scubacruiserx2
  • Like 2

We did have a nice lunch at the Retreat brought from the Lido by Ian and James the attendants

image.thumb.jpeg.32cb65a2b152edf3052a1d55d63f8e30.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c29edc242fd22a0a5a0190c37839ebec.jpeg

This is the Thai Curry which was much different from the Thai Curry at the Tamarind . The Tamarind's is much better .

image.jpeg

Edited by scubacruiserx2
  • Like 2

I'm not normally a baked Alaska fan but I did like the one at Pinnacle Grill on this cruise.  It had Cherry Garcia ice cream (one of my top favorites) and the cake and meringue ratio was just right in my opinion!  I'm glad I took a chance on ordering it.

~Nancy

• Like 1

Hello @scubacruiserx2

I just came across your many Cruise Reviews - my favorite your SA & Antartica back in 2018/2019.

I've not seen any mention of you ever taking a cruise to the French Polynesian Islands.

With your love of water & scuba diving I highly recommend you do that.

While HAL offers cruises to this area it; they normally are NOT during the best season to go.

Best time for French Polynesia is in July/August.

Also Bora Bora is limiting the size of ships now that can visit this Port.

While we love going there on the WindStar line - you may prefer a little larger ship such as the Paul Gauguin.  I believe the "Paul" still sails year round in the French Polynesia.

I would recommend trying to piggyback a stay with their annual Heiva Dance Contest on island of Tahiti - it should not be missed...which I believe takes place in July.

We would often combine our Tahiti cruise with a land stay for a couple of weeks. 

Normally breaking up the weeks by staying in Moorea, then flight out to Bora Bora, followed by Rangirora for 3 nights.  Last night was on island of Tahiti to catch a flight back to San Diego. 

There is nothing like the waters & Marine life of the French Polynesian islands.

Please put this on your bucket list if you've not been.

Be sure to do it while you're young enough!!!

13 hours ago, oakridger said:

I'm not normally a baked Alaska fan but I did like the one at Pinnacle Grill on this cruise.  It had Cherry Garcia ice cream (one of my top favorites) and the cake and meringue ratio was just right in my opinion!  I'm glad I took a chance on ordering it.

~Nancy

I'm not normally a fan either as I'm a Key Lime Pie guy . But the BA was huge and I gladly shared with Pat . BTW as this point we were really excited about our first visit to San Francisco and we were rapidly eating our way there .