Cold Weather Flowriding

Hello all,

I am going on Anthem of the Seas out of New Jersey on December 11th. It is obviously going to be quite cold in the beginning of the cruise before we get down to the Bahamas. I was looking into purchasing a wetsuit so I can maximize my time on the Flowrider even on the cold days. 

I know nothing about wetsuits, so I was wondering what is a wetsuit that you would recommend to use for the Flowrider in December out of New Jersey. Any information you can provide would be extremely helpful. Thank you!

It's when not in the water that you will likely get cold. You can try wearing a wetsuit but a wetsuit is designed to keep you warm while in water, not out of it. It works by trapping a thin layer of water between your body and the suit. This layer of water is warmed by your body which prevents you from losing too much heat while in the water. I would probably bring some sort of wrap/blanket/extra towels to put around you to keep you warm. 

1 hour ago, dylanmatlin said:

I know nothing about wetsuits, so I was wondering what is a wetsuit that you would recommend to use for the Flowrider in December out of New Jersey. Any information you can provide would be extremely helpful. 

Any 2-3 mm neoprene suit should work. The Flowrider is only open when ambient temp is above 50F (10C). As mentioned, the issue is keeping warm while waiting in line - you don’t need anything while on the wave as the water warms you up (assuming the heaters are working). 

23 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Any 2-3 mm neoprene suit should work. The Flowrider is only open when ambient temp is above 50F (10C). As mentioned, the issue is keeping warm while waiting in line - you don’t need anything while on the wave as the water warms you up (assuming the heaters are working). 

I have always said a cantilevered hot tub by the wave, for the line, would be an appropriate for colder weather.  Misters for hot days. 

• Like 4

Just now, matj2000 said:

Flowrider is more or less a novelty 

it's something you try, do a few times, then move on

In the end, it's not really that exciting

Save the wetsuit.

For most folks, but too many get hooked. I wish the numbers were less, then the line would be shorter. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

Save the wetsuit.

For boogie yes.. for stand up no.

19 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I have always said a cantilevered hot tub by the wave, for the line, would be an appropriate for colder weather.  Misters for hot days. 

I've thought the same but would prob just make the lines worse... Lol

Heat lamps over the benches would be nice though.

2 hours ago, dylanmatlin said:

Hello all,

I am going on Anthem of the Seas out of New Jersey on December 11th. It is obviously going to be quite cold in the beginning of the cruise before we get down to the Bahamas. I was looking into purchasing a wetsuit so I can maximize my time on the Flowrider even on the cold days. 

I know nothing about wetsuits, so I was wondering what is a wetsuit that you would recommend to use for the Flowrider in December out of New Jersey. Any information you can provide would be extremely helpful. Thank you!

I started with a wetsuit jacket then shorty wetsuit then to a full wetsuit... Learn from my mistake and just buy the full (doesn't have to be fancy since you aren't diving in it).  If it's not cold enough for a wetsuit just a waterproof windbreaker is all you need.  If it's cold enough for wetsuit you'll be happier with a full.  The windbreaker will also work on top of the full wetsuit when it's windy. 

This was definitely needed for Canada cruises where temp stayed at 50s with wind at night.

Edited by Blur

4 hours ago, dylanmatlin said:

Hello all,

A wetsuit is not required on cold days, but it definitely can make the experience more pleasurable.  I’ve seen many people survive with a supply of dry towels. 

Buell Surf makes great wetsuits.  Look for a 3/2mm.  Anything thicker is not needed.  As @Biker19said, the Flowrider doesn’t operate below 50F degrees. 

I wish you short lines. 

2 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Save the wetsuit.

Maybe it is a novelty for you... But not for others!
Why don't you save your negative comments

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

The Wave House in San Diego had a hot tub on the Flow Barrel for those waiting in line.  Only got to do it once years ago before it closed.

2 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Save the wetsuit.

My wife (the original Flow Widow) wishes you were correct.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, dylanmatlin said:

I have a pair of full length bottoms, a pair of shorts, and a front zip jacket.  Gives me flexibility depending on how cold it is vs a full suit.  You can also go thicker on the jacket and thinner on the bottoms so you are not as constrained on the legs. I agree with the earlier post that you don't need anything fancy since you are not diving in it.  I just order whatever is relatively cheap on Amazon.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Save the wetsuit.

It never ceases to amaze me when someone thinks everyone feels the same way they do about the topic. You may not like the flow rider, but there are a lot of people out there who love the flow rider, to include people who mainly cruise to ride the flow rider. Personally I am not a big fan of the flow rider, but I am not naive enough to to think everyone isn’t a fan of the flow rider because I am not one.