In Covid isolation on the Nieuw Amsterdam

birdie16

5 hours ago, seaoma said:

I thought the reimbursement ended Dec. 31st, but after your post, I checked the website. It has been extended to March 31, 2023.

My cynicism is exacerbated by the fact that I have not received any FCC for cruises I canceled in September.

Here's the link to the policy, at the moment.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/COVID-19-protection-program.html

We are still waiting for quarantine reimbursement from our June cruise tour. AON gave us our refund quickly. HAL just continues to kick the can down the road.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Gray Lady said:

We are still waiting for quarantine reimbursement from our June cruise tour. AON gave us our refund quickly. HAL just continues to kick the can down the road.

This is NOT what I wanted to hear. I'm sorry. So sad, isn't it? I won't be booking any more cruises until I'm made whole. I guess we know where their operating funds are coming from. 

On 11/20/2022 at 5:21 AM, birdie16 said:

Well, don’t get me started.🤣They told us we had to stay one night in a hotel to fulfill our Covid isolation. Told us to make a reservation and they would reimburse us. They also said to change our flights, which we did. THEN medical changed my husbands date of “onset of symptoms” so they could avoid paying our hotel, which we booked as they requested and paid for the room. We will see if they still reimburse us. This experience with them has been horrible at every turn. 

Sorry to hear that it happened to you. Hope that all works out okay'

19 hours ago, Gray Lady said:

My wife tested positive on our August Oosterdam cruise; we were in a Signature Suite, but she was moved to an obstructed balcony cabin for the last 5 days of the cruise. I didn't test positive until the day after we got off the ship in Venice. We had travel insurance with AON, thankfully. HAL told us we would be reimbursed with an FCC for the 5 days of the cruise my wife was in quarantine, but nothing from them so far. Also HAL told us they would prepay for the 3 nights of hotel and meals while in isolation in Venice, I had to pay with our CC when we checked out. Last Friday we received our settlement letter from AON and they are reimbursing us both for the last 5 days of the cruise and our hotel room costs in Venice. They are mailing us checks for over $5400 this week, I do not care if we ever get the FCC from HAL since I doubt, I would ever use it.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Then they'll be waiting a VERY long time, because 'this thing' will NEVER be 'over completely'.

I agree, we both got Covid on our Oosterdam cruise in August, but we refuse to give into this madness and lose any more of our prime retired travel years. We already lost 2020 and 2021. We have 4 cruises booked over the next two years.  Reality is Covid will be with us forever just like the flu.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

My wife tested positive on our August Oosterdam cruise; we were in a Signature Suite, but she was moved to an obstructed balcony cabin for the last 5 days of the cruise. I didn't test positive until the day after we got off the ship in Venice. We had travel insurance with AON, thankfully. HAL told us we would be reimbursed with an FCC for the 5 days of the cruise my wife was in quarantine, but nothing from them so far. Also HAL told us they would prepay for the 3 nights of hotel and meals while in isolation in Venice, I had to pay with our CC when we checked out. Last Friday we received our settlement letter from AON and they are reimbursing us both for the last 5 days of the cruise and our hotel room costs in Venice. They are mailing us checks for over $5400 this week, I do not care if we ever get the FCC from HAL since I doubt, I would ever use it.

If I am understanding you correctly, since you were covered by insurance, why should HAL reimburse you again?  An insurance company won't for something that another insurance policy is obligated to pay.  Reading all these complaints, however justified that they may be, reaffirms my increasing inclination to cancel two lengthy cruises scheduled for 2023.  This just doesn't sound like fun!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

If I am understanding you correctly, since you were covered by insurance, why should HAL reimburse you again?  An insurance company won't for something that another insurance policy is obligated to pay.

Because that is what HAL told us they would do, our travel insurance had nothing to do with HAL and was purchased independently outside of HAL. Our travel insurance was coverage for the entire 34 days we were in Italy and Greece and covered our HAL and Celebrity cruises and 10 land days.  Just like HAL told us the quarantine hotel rooms in Venice they booked for us were prepaid by them before we got off the ship, when we got to the hotel, we were told that HAL DID NOT prepay the hotel and we had to pay with a credit card. Again, in over two months since the cruise not one word of correspondence from HAL about any of what they promised us on the ship.

Edited by terrydtx

5 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Because that is what HAL told us they would do, our travel insurance had nothing to do with HAL and was purchased independently outside of HAL. Our travel insurance was coverage for the entire 34 days we were in Italy and Greece and covered our HAL and Celebrity cruises and 10 land days.  Just like HAL told us the quarantine hotel rooms in Venice they booked for us were prepaid by them before we got off the ship, when we got to the hotel, we were told that HAL DID NOT prepay the hotel and we had to pay with a credit card. Again, in over two months since the cruise not one word of correspondence from HAL about any of what they promised us on the ship.

At least AON paid all of your hotel. They would only reimburse us $100 per day, up to $500 total, because DW had the positive test, not me. HAL will reimburse us the rest,  but we were charged $550 per day. HAL says our claim is approved, but who knows when they will send us a check. No cruising until we are made whole….including our excursions from June which they have not yet refunded! Next step may be state department of consumer affairs.

2 hours ago, Gray Lady said:

At least AON paid all of your hotel. They would only reimburse us $100 per day, up to $500 total, because DW had the positive test, not me. HAL will reimburse us the rest,  but we were charged $550 per day. HAL says our claim is approved, but who knows when they will send us a check. No cruising until we are made whole….including our excursions from June which they have not yet refunded! Next step may be state department of consumer affairs.

Our AON policy had a $1000pp or $2000 per couple cap on hotels charges, our 4 nights in Venice was $1457 total so they paid the whole amount. HAL had us staying at a Sheraton 4 Points in the Maestre industrial area of Venice, which was relatively inexpensive.  The downside of the hotel was no food service for lunches and dinner wasn't available until 7:30pm at night. We found a local delivery service called Deliveroo that brought us some very tasty meals from local restaurants.  When I signed up for Deliveroo online the first 14 days were offered without any delivery charges. The hotel did have a very nice complimentary breakfast that they delivered to our rooms. The only charges not paid by AON was the $40 for cough syrup on the ship, and the $18 for 3 at home covid tests from the local pharmacy, they told us we had to go through our health insurance for that reimbursement first. Medicare doesn't cover anything outside to US, so I am just going to let that one go.

10 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Just like HAL told us the quarantine hotel rooms in Venice they booked for us were prepaid by them before we got off the ship, when we got to the hotel, we were told that HAL DID NOT prepay the hotel and we had to pay with a credit card. Again, in over two months since the cruise not one word of correspondence from HAL about any of what they promised us on the ship.

Very sorry to hear that.

This is what happened to me with another line. I was waiting for a refund for an unacceptable length of time.

Me (again): “What happened to my refund?”

Them: “Sorry. Has not been processed. We could query the accounting department. They are so busy!”

Me: “Sigh! Please query them! BTW, I would like to cancel the booking for my next cruise, and get my deposit back. Thanks!”

Lo and Behold! I get a $4k credit to my credit card within a week.

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 3:05 PM, seaoma said:

This is NOT what I wanted to hear. I'm sorry. So sad, isn't it? I won't be booking any more cruises until I'm made whole. I guess we know where their operating funds are coming from. 

Yes! We have a two week Europe cruise that I talked my friends into doing with us. All four of us will be canceling that if they don’t make this right.

On 11/21/2022 at 10:11 AM, terrydtx said:

Did you use a lawyer? I’m tempted. My story is much worse than what I wrote here. (Edit…now I see you are talking about a check from your travel insurance.)

Edited by birdie16

42 minutes ago, birdie16 said:

Yes! We have a two week Europe cruise that I talked my friends into doing with us. All four of us will be canceling that if they don’t make this right.

I hope you have months before final payment. Good luck!

44 minutes ago, birdie16 said:

Exactly! It is smoke and mirrors to make you feel comfortable to cruise again.

My situation is different from yours in that we booked amidst the pandemic when they were requiring vaccinations and masks. We cruised 2x with a total of 28 days between August and December 2021 and even though there were a few passengers that did not comply with all of the rules, we felt fairly safe.

What disturbed us on those cruises was that there were no consequences for anyone that chose not to follow the health protocols.

The only ones that suffer any adverse consequences are people that get sick. 

It is just so strange to me that the industry that is known in the general public as a germ factory, would choose to to reinforce this perception.

@birdie16I'm assuming that you are home now and are feeling well.

Edited by seaoma
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am in isolation now on the zuiderdam.  My dad tested positive on day 5 and I tested positive 7.  We both got letters that we would be given a per diem rate as a FCC for each day we were in isolation that would be applied to our mariners account.  I am not holding my breath.  

I have one more FCD on file that I am going to try and get back.  It has to be used by May 13, 2023.  Covid is not going anywhere. It is not if you get it, it is when you get it.  That is just a reality.

On a positive note the crew have been great.  The cabin steward can’t come in but he checks on us 2x a day to see what we need.  He shows up with a garbage bag for me to empty the garbage and a towel bag to put the dirty towels in and hands me new towels.

14 minutes ago, liketraveling said:

I am in isolation now on the zuiderdam.  My dad tested positive on day 5 and I tested positive 7.  We both got letters that we would be given a per diem rate as a FCC for each day we were in isolation that would be applied to our mariners account.  I am not holding my breath.  

I have one more FCD on file that I am going to try and get back.  It has to be used by May 13, 2023.  Covid is not going anywhere. It is not if you get it, it is when you get it.  That is just a reality.

On a positive note the crew have been great.  The cabin steward can’t come in but he checks on us 2x a day to see what we need.  He shows up with a garbage bag for me to empty the garbage and a towel bag to put the dirty towels in and hands me new towels.

It sounds like their protocols have changed for positive covid passengers, in your case. Please re-post if you do get FCC. At least it sounds like you are getting better attention from the stewards.

How is the food service? What has been your experience with the medical team?

The problem that covid isn't going anywhere is because people haven't cared enough to prevent covid from spreading. The problem is that people aren't informed as to the true risk of getting covid. The reality should be that people should try and prevent others getting their covid, especially when they are on a pricey vacation on a cruise ship in the middle of the sea, miles from land. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, seaoma said:

It sounds like their protocols have changed for positive covid passengers, in your case. Please re-post if you do get FCC. At least it sounds like you are getting better attention from the stewards.

The problem that covid isn't going anywhere is because people haven't cared enough to prevent covid from spreading. The problem is that people aren't informed as to the true risk of getting covid. The reality should be that people should try and prevent others getting their covid, especially when they are on a pricey vacation on a cruise ship in the middle of the sea, miles from land. 

We got a letter from Guest Services that stated we would be getting an FCC posted to our mariner account. But like I say I am not holding my breath.  When we first went into isolation we were assigned someone from guest services to get what we need.  I can’t say enough about the staff.  

The food service has been good.  although have not had much of an appetite.  They will bring you anything you want.  

Both my dad and I are fully vacinated and triple boosted.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, liketraveling said:

We got a letter from Guest Services that stated we would be getting an FCC posted to our mariner account. But like I say I am not holding my breath.

We received that same letter (or similar letter) when in isolation on the Koningsdam. The letter came on October 18th to the room; the FCC was applied to our Mariner accounts on November 16th.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, seaoma said:

I didn’t answer about the medical team.  This has been a hard cruise for the medical team.  There have been 4 medical evacuations this cruise, two have been at sea involving the coast guard 3 that I know of were not Covid related.  I get a phone call everyday between 8:00 and 9:00 about my symptoms.  I was offered paxlovid $750 and it was sent to the dr for approval. I have two meds I can’t go off of ,have interactions and the dr said I was not eligible. I brought musinex.  Have been taking that and at first used Tylenol for the fever.  The only person I have had personal contact with from the doctor’s office is the nurse who comes to test.  Someone else from medical came to get copies of our vaccination cards for the Panamanian Authorities.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, liketraveling said:

I didn’t answer about the medical team.  This has been a hard cruise for the medical team.  There have been 4 medical evacuations this cruise, two have been at sea involving the coast guard 3 that I know of were not Covid related.  I get a phone call everyday between 8:00 and 9:00 about my symptoms.  I was offered paxlovid $750 and it was sent to the dr for approval. I have two meds I can’t go off of ,have interactions and the dr said I was not eligible. I brought musinex.  Have been taking that and at first used Tylenol for the fever.  The only person I have had personal contact with from the doctor’s office is the nurse who comes to test.  Someone else from medical came to get copies of our vaccination cards for the Panamanian Authorities.

It sounds like you are being treated better than we were on the Amsterdam. At first I was angry with Holland America for the lack of care and protocols, but I’m beginning to believe it has more to do with the actual management on our ship. Our situation was a cluster of mistakes from beginning to end. I’m too tired to write more about it, as I’m still sick. When I am better, I will be writing a long letter to corporate. We were not offered any medication, that would have shortened our illness. I hope you are better soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1