In Covid isolation on the Nieuw Amsterdam

birdie16

@birdie16 we are on board with you.  Last week we were one cabin away from a quarantine cabin and only discovered it by accident.  The crew is doing what they can to sanitize to reduce spread of anything.  We’ve heard lots of coughing from the balconies and will be surprised if we don’t catch something.  I hope a negative test result happens quickly for your DH.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

To get numbers, all you need to do is ask. And maybe ask again. Someone will tell you.

Contact while traveling to or from a cruise is far higher than being on the ship. Airport terminals, cabs, restaurants, etc. have many more germ possibilities. I remember twice pre-pandemic returning on overseas flights and two days later having sinus infections.

Nope.  I've had zero luck doing that.  People love to say that about so many things on ships.  Just because it happens on your ship doesn't mean it happens fleet wide.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Seems you have a first.  Have never heard the exact number of covid cases announced during any cruise.

I've been on the Westerdam since Oct. 2. We had an "outbreak" a week or so into the cruise. The captain announced the exact numbers in isolation daily. It was around 50 something at its highest. Once it got perhaps below 20 he stopped. Then in Sydney we picked up a bunch more people (others left), very very few of whom masked. Two days later the Majestic Princess arrived in Sydney from NZ with 800 covid cases, and we went to masks required. We went from 4 to 30 something yesterday (the captain started giving the numbers daily) and EVERYONE is masking. I was on a shorex bus with 100% compliance.

I think hearing the numbers, and especially when they go up daily, makes people take it more seriously.

I was among those who got it earlier in the cruise and was in isolation 8 days. The first day is Day 0 (not 1) and then they don't test you till Day 6. Then daily until you test negative, or they let you out on Day 11 regardless. I read that NZ requires 7 days before the earliest release. So those who caught it on this segment probably missed every port.

I did mask at all times except for eating and drinking and while outside. Who knows how I caught it?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

@birdie16 we are on board with you.  Last week we were one cabin away from a quarantine cabin and only discovered it by accident.  The crew is doing what they can to sanitize to reduce spread of anything.  We’ve heard lots of coughing from the balconies and will be surprised if we don’t catch something.  I hope a negative test result happens quickly for your DH.

Yes, we have heard a lot of coughing on the balconies. My sister (not on the cruise, and several states away from me) just had Covid. Her husband also tested positive right away. She was very sick and it took three tests before she tested positive. Even though they gave me permission to leave, I’m staying in our cabin on lock down. I will not knowingly ruin someone else’s cruise. I also couldn’t go out and party, leaving my husband behind.

Edited by birdie16
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Djptcp said:

In their rush to return to normalcy the cruise lines, IMHO, deleted the vaccination requirement and the pre-cruise testing. Bring them back, please.

Not in my eyes, if I am on a cruise, I don't want seen anyone with masks or people going crazy in isolation. This is a cruise for heaven's sake, most people get their annual flu shot and that should be sufficient.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

With the flu no one was being isolated, most people know to stay low for a coupe of days because you're not feeling great, that what I call back to normalcy.

Actually, flu cases were isolated.  I had the flu on both the Grand Asia and on the SA/Antarctica.  In both cases I was isolated to my cabin.  Further, Medical advised not to try sneaking out because every department on the ship had been notified to advise if they saw me outside the cabin.  They would not release me until my temperature was normal for 24 hours.

11 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Actually, flu cases were isolated.  I had the flu on both the Grand Asia and on the SA/Antarctica.  In both cases I was isolated to my cabin.  Further, Medical advised not to try sneaking out because every department on the ship had been notified to advise if they saw me outside the cabin.  They would not release me until my temperature was normal for 24 hours.

That was because of covid, before that most people stayed in their cabin, by their own choice, because they didn't feel good, but you were never thrown in isolation.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

You can still wear a mask etc.  I personally feel it's more important than ever but that a personal decision for sure.  I hope you feel better soon.

Yes totally agree . We learned long time ago that coughing  can send virus pellets as far as 29   feet   /Same with sneezing 

1 hour ago, Djptcp said:

In their rush to return to normalcy the cruise lines, IMHO, deleted the vaccination requirement and the pre-cruise testing. Bring them back, please.

Candidly the cruise lines  removed pre testing because there was no pressure put on them by the CDC   . It is all about follow the money  .  All virus mutate whether it be covid or flu . Getting vaccines that have not been   tested  over a sufficient  time line    is no  guarantee that a person will not get any of those viruses . Perhaps the best defense  is being  well hydrated , taking 50 mgs of zinc a day with Vit A  ,wearing masks  of N95 or KN 95 quality ,staying out of crowds  & using common sense approach  to stay well  .

We went five Cruises before we got Covid and it was the Eurodam.  I believe we caught it either in Atlanta Airport (4 hour layover) or in the Taxi to the Port.  Three out of eight of us got it and all had different symptoms.  The only symptom we all had in common was the fatigue.  We all tested during the Cruise  (at home test) and tested Negative.  Didn't test positive until we arrived home.  

We're all going to get it and it's just a matter of when and not a matter of if no matter how careful we are! 

We just got off the NS and we got off the NA on the 25th.  Lots of folks coughing on both Ships.  We had 2500 Onboard the NS last week.  The one thing they were very lax with on the NS was wiping the Tables even in the Dutch Cafe and especially on Lido (both inside and out).  I saw people blow their nose, put their dirty tissue on the table and when they left their glasses were cleared but the Table was never wiped.   We had to flag someone down to clear the Tables which they did but they never wiped them.  We ended up getting wet paper towels from the Hand Sinks in Lido and cleaning the Table ourselves.  With Flu Season, etc. they need to step up their game in this area!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

You can cruise safely.  I’ve done it twice.  I’m on my third and hope to make it through the third.  I wear a mask all the time except when eating or drinking.  I don’t do shows, but I rarely did before.  I spend a ton of time outside.  I have a woman that’s in the cabanas that is barking (coughing) a lot. People just think Covid is over but it’s not.  That’s the problem.

We were on three cruises this year of 28, 20, and 18 days and neither of us got ill. And we were tested numerous times.  But none of our ships were full, 60%, 80%, and 80%. 

We didn't wear masks except when we were forced to. 50 somethings with diabetes and an autoimmune disorder.  

2 hours ago, Djptcp said:

That really doesn't do anything.  I've had all 5 Pfizer shots and I caught Covid 4 days into my last cruise in October.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

We were on three cruises this year of 28, 20, and 18 days and neither of us got ill. And we were tested numerous times.  But none of our ships were full, 60%, 80%, and 80%. 

We didn't wear masks except when we were forced to. 50 somethings with diabetes and an autoimmune disorder.  

The longer cruises are testing, at least they were.  There are many, many people on my cruise that live in San Diego. They can just drive home.  I don’t have that luxury.  I have to fly home to Canada. If you live at the port or drive it makes things significantly easier.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

We just got off the NS and we got off the NA on the 25th.  Lots of folks coughing on both Ships.  We had 2500 Onboard the NS last week.  The one thing they were very lax with on the NS was wiping the Tables even in the Dutch Cafe and especially on Lido (both inside and out).  I saw people blow their nose, put their dirty tissue on the table and when they left their glasses were cleared but the Table was never wiped.   We had to flag someone down to clear the Tables which they did but they never wiped them.  We ended up getting wet paper towels from the Hand Sinks in Lido and cleaning the Table ourselves.  With Flu Season, etc. they need to step up their game in this area!

Yikes, that's something I would have complained about to the manager on duty and in the Navigator app!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

I’m glad you could enjoy cruising and stay healthy.  I do think part of the solution is for the ships to reduce passenger capacity.  That, however, is not financially sustainable for the cruise lines.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

That really doesn't do anything.  I've had all 5 Pfizer shots and I caught Covid 4 days into my last cruise in October.

I think a lot of people think this makes them bullet proof.  I’m still very careful along with my family.  None of us have had Covid.  I don’t know your personal situation but I can tell you about 98 percent of the people I’m cruising with are not wearing masks. 

4 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

Yikes, that's something I would have complained about to the manager on duty and in the Navigator app!

The ships are so crowded at this point that contacting a manager is a challenge and the Navigator App and the “Let Us Know” at the Hotel Manager’s Desk is a futile effort with no feedback at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir PMP said:

Not in my eyes, if I am on a cruise, I don't want seen anyone with masks or people going crazy in isolation. This is a cruise for heaven's sake, most people get their annual flu shot and that should be sufficient.

I thought you were waiting for Covid to be over 😛.

1 minute ago, oaktreerb said:

The ships are so crowded at this point that contacting a manager is a challenge and the Navigator App and the “Let Us Know” at the Hotel Manager’s Desk is a futile effort with no feedback at all.

I've only been on one cruise since the app was available but did have really great response time using it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

You can cruise safely.  I’ve done it twice.  I’m on my third and hope to make it through the third.  I wear a mask all the time except when eating or drinking.  I don’t do shows, but I rarely did before.  I spend a ton of time outside.  I have a woman that’s in the cabanas that is barking (coughing) a lot. People just think Covid is over but it’s not.  That’s the problem.

I wear masks all the time and got covid on my first cruise.