US departures staffing issues

styles27

I had an interesting conversation with an MSC rep this morning. 
I phoned to cancel an excursion on our upcoming 12/30 Divina cruise and she was really awesome.
She did everything I asked and emailed everything to me while I waited on the phone and kept me on the call until I received it. Really she was the best rep I’ve ever gotten on the phone. 

So to make small talk while we waited I mentioned to her that Divina looks pretty full for our sailing with a lot of categories showing as “sold out” on the MSC site. 
She told me that MSC has blocked a large number of staterooms because they don’t have the staff to service any of their US ships at full capacity. 
I found that interesting because someone on another social media site who boarded Divina yesterday was told there were 2700 passengers on this sailing and that they were “at capacity.”
we all know Divina holds more than 2700 pax so that isn’t really at capacity. 

So the rep’s information seems to correspond with what this person was told on board Divina yesterday. 

What are you all seeing on your recent departures from the US? Was the ship at full capacity or close to it?  

1 hour ago, styles27 said:

I had an interesting conversation with an MSC rep this morning. 
I phoned to cancel an excursion on our upcoming 12/30 Divina cruise and she was really awesome.
She did everything I asked and emailed everything to me while I waited on the phone and kept me on the call until I received it. Really she was the best rep I’ve ever gotten on the phone. 

So to make small talk while we waited I mentioned to her that Divina looks pretty full for our sailing with a lot of categories showing as “sold out” on the MSC site. 
She told me that MSC has blocked a large number of staterooms because they don’t have the staff to service any of their US ships at full capacity. 
I found that interesting because someone on another social media site who boarded Divina yesterday was told there were 2700 passengers on this sailing and that they were “at capacity.”
we all know Divina holds more than 2700 pax so that isn’t really at capacity. 

So the rep’s information seems to correspond with what this person was told on board Divina yesterday. 

What are you all seeing on your recent departures from the US? Was the ship at full capacity or close to it?  

We were recently on the Seashore (out of Miami) and our cruises were nearly at full capacity.   We know there were more than 4000 on our cruise and the Yacht Club was nearly sold out.

Hank

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, sidari said:

Talking to a friend a few days ago who mentioned that when Seaside arrives in the Caribbean a lot of Filipino staff are leaving to work at RCI.

Eek, we are booked on the 29th November 14 night Antilles cruise from Barbados albeit YC! Guess it's not really surprising when they've been in the Med for many months, interesting to see if and how service is impacted. 

Thanks for posting. 

• Like 1

On Meraviglia right now. 50% capacity. They were selling rooms with lots showing as available right up to the cruise. They do seem short staffed as far as bar servers. Very few roaming around especially at OC today. Mostly you have to go up to the bar. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We were recently on the Seashore (out of Miami) and our cruises were nearly at full capacity.   We know there were more than 4000 on our cruise and the Yacht Club was nearly sold out.

Hank

I wonder if it’s just on Divina seeing she is the oldest and smallest ship from FL the demand may not be there. 

15 hours ago, sidari said:

Talking to a friend a few days ago who mentioned that when Seaside arrives in the Caribbean a lot of Filipino staff are leaving to work at RCI.

I wonder what the draw is to RCL…higher wages? 

21 hours ago, styles27 said:

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on getting a knowledgeable MSC phone rep! That's truly a Christmas miracle!!!  (just kidding, but not really....)

On the Divina we noted the same thing - - cabin categories were closed out and showing as full, but the ship sailed with about 50% capacity.  Definitely having staffing issues

• Like 3

I think they are limiting passengers on Divina.  On the Divina last month, the Cruise Director said there were 2,250 on the sailing, but there was a sign at Customer Service that said “No upgrades available. This sailing is fully booked.”  

I tried to book an additional week on the Divina to add to my May 2023 sailing and the website will not let me book, even though multiple cabins still show as available. The MSC reps and my travel agent all show it as closed for booking any additional cabins. 

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Morgsmom said:

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on getting a knowledgeable MSC phone rep! That's truly a Christmas miracle!!!  (just kidding, but not really....)

On the Divina we noted the same thing - - cabin categories were closed out and showing as full, but the ship sailed with about 50% capacity.  Definitely having staffing issues

Haha right! I made sure I let her know what a rare gem she was and I wish I could get her again if I need to call. 

That makes sense then. She said there are a lot of empty rooms on our sailing but they’re not selling them because they can’t get the staff. 

I think MSC is focusing on keeping Mera, Seashore and Seascape fully staffed (or as full as they can be). 

18 hours ago, sidari said:

18 hours ago, hamrag said:

Eek, we are booked on the 29th November 14 night Antilles cruise from Barbados albeit YC! Guess it's not really surprising when they've been in the Med for many months, interesting to see if and how service is impacted. 

Thanks for posting. 

Thinking again about this, the transatlantic element officially ends in Martinique or Guadeloupe which are 4/5 days following our embarkation in Barbados. So, if there is a deterioration in service level it should be abundantly evident!

Edited by hamrag
  • Like 1

All hospitality is suffering the same staffing and supplies issues.

Any hotel or restaurant I have been into in the past 2 years it is painfully obvious.

Maybe if MSC adopted the Chick-fil-a or Ikea philosophy for customer service, they could make a killing (and probably take out Carnival in the process)

First time on Poesia in 2012, stunned by how beautiful and well kept she was.

Loved how fantastic the Divina is, been on her 3 times.

Absolutely blown away by how elegant the Armonia was, plus the absolute best staff I have ever had on a cruise...by a country mile.

So looking forward to Meravialia as she looks marvelous.

Edited by quattrohead
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, quattrohead said:

All hospitality is suffering the same staffing and supplies issues.

Any hotel or restaurant I have been into in the past 2 years it is painfully obvious.

Maybe if MSC adopted the Chick-fil-a or Ikea philosophy for customer service, they could make a killing (and probably take out Carnival in the process)

First time on Poesia in 2012, stunned by how beautiful and well kept she was.

Loved how fantastic the Divina is, been on her 3 times.

Absolutely blown away by how elegant the Armonia was, plus the absolute best staff I have ever had on a cruise...by a country mile.

So looking forward to Meravialia as she looks marvelous.

So true about staffing problems everywhere. 
We have friends who own a few fine dining restaurants here in RI. They have a fourth restaurant ready to open since the Spring but it remains empty because they can’t find the staff to open it. 

In speaking with friends who have younger kids than we do (ours are in their mid 30’s) their kids in their early 20’s are not working in  “conventional” jobs like we and our kids did while in college. My kids worked in restaurants and retail.  
Many of the late teen early 20’s population nowadays are “self employed” as Uber drivers or the like.
They work when they want to work and for as long as they want to work and they don’t have to be stuck in retail or restaurants nights and weekends. 

It’s a real problem and one I’m thinking is only going to get worse. 

I wondered how long it would take before we saw the cruise lines have staffing issues and unfortunately it’s here. 

By the way @quattroheadits nice to see you back on these boards. Haven’t seen you in a while!

• Like 3

We recently had some time to kill on a grocery trip, and went to Wendy's for a coffee.  Doors were locked.  Doing drive-through only.  In asking around, it appears that no fast food or economy restaurants currently have a dine in option.  Dollar Tree is closing in the afternoon as they can't get evening staff.  Dunkin' Donuts has a sign advertising $19/hour pay, and not getting takers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

We recently had some time to kill on a grocery trip, and went to Wendy's for a coffee.  Doors were locked.  Doing drive-through only.  In asking around, it appears that no fast food or economy restaurants currently have a dine in option.  Dollar Tree is closing in the afternoon as they can't get evening staff.  Dunkin' Donuts has a sign advertising $19/hour pay, and not getting takers.

Same here in RI, some of the fast food restaurants have never reopened their dining rooms since Covid. Our Walgreens pharmacy is closed on Saturdays and Sundays because they can’t get enough pharmacists. 
I’m also seeing a lot more “seniors” working in retail and restaurants in jobs that teenagers used to have. 

Not sure if related, but only 2,200 passengers boarded the inaugural Seascape cruise. Could be a bit different since they will pick up additional passengers before heading to NYC, no? And maybe for the inaugural they don't want an entirely full ship anyhow.

• Like 1

Sadly the staffing issue is worldwide on the hospitality industry these days, and of course, even here in Portugal as well. Short staff, reduced opening hours or short menus is the norm now, even on the 4*/5* restaurant or whole hospitality industry here.

That said; it is good that at least dinner menus are resuming more or less the before the pandemic era fare! It's an improvement that should to be noted from quite a while from the menus I'm watching here in CC.

@sidari: Even though I can to be seen as an MSC's cheerleader of some sort because I enjoy the product by the most part, on the other hand, I have to be honest here on one thing: In certain ways I feel like MSC is more or less like Ryanair at seas in what labor conditions give respect, perhaps just a little bit better given guests are longer days with their crews... I wouldn't be surprised if they're seen as a career start-up business for many of their employees whom one or the other day will jump ship as far as they can. I have rarely seen an above 30 years old employee on MSC, other than for maritime officers, and some upper-middle to top level employees. That may tell something. On the opposite, on my RCI's Allure sailing most of the employees were on their late 20's to mid 30's years old.

• Like 1