Quick question are books back in library

Windsurfboy

Anyway, this whole digression rather misses the point that some people like to browse the library for books to read during a voyage. That some don't want or need to do that is irrelevant. 

Some will take their own books, others will use a digital reading device but it is clear that for some the loss of a stocked library impinges on their enjoyment of the cruise. 

Without books the library just becomes an empty room. 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

Without books the library just becomes an empty room. 

While some may see an empty room, others might see an immensely attractive quiet lounge.

We all pays our money, and takes our choice. We've currently two cruises booked with SAGA... whether or not there were books in the Library just didn't feature in the decision making process. 

We choose SAGA rather than a different company because we much preferred SAGA's offer.

We certainly wouldn't book a cruise if we believed that something on board would diminish our experience of the holiday... we'd much prefer to move on and seek out another company that would match our particular desires and expectations.

In our case, we've chosen SAGA... 

990893586_IMG_52162.thumb.jpeg.e33bb2ed51d18f1b04a91c44367334a6.jpeg

IMG_5224.thumb.jpeg.92f0db5c8cb4c228c2bde85315b9e092.jpeg

• Like 1

Well said, Tothesunset. Not everyone uses every amenity onboard so the wider the range of amenities the better. Personally I can do without premium spirits, golf simulators and bridge but I’m very happy that these are provided for those who wish to take advantage of them. We who have enjoyed the wide range of books in the past, rather than squinting  on deck at tablets (or even worse phones!) are merely discussing that we would like them back.

The suggestion that those of us who miss the provision of books onboard should just take our custom elsewhere is quite arrogant and insulting.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, twotravellersLondon said:

While some may see an empty room, others might see an immensely attractive quiet lounge.

We all pays our money, and takes our choice. We've currently two cruises booked with SAGA... whether or not there were books in the Library just didn't feature in the decision making process. 

We choose SAGA rather than a different company because we much preferred SAGA's offer.

We certainly wouldn't book a cruise if we believed that something on board would diminish our experience of the holiday... we'd much prefer to move on and seek out another company that would match our particular desires and expectations.

But it's not all about you. 

Clearly Saga regulars would, in some/many cases, like their library back. That was the point at the start of the thread. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

One point that has been made several times during this thread is the mishmash of conflicting information on Saga website.

Not everybody will click on all the FAQ in order to find that, because of Covid, there are no books in the library.

Just looking now on the current Saga website, for SoD, and on the deck plans, the section for Library still says,

"A cosy coffee shop, the library boasts a fantastic selection of fiction and reference books." - with photos showing a selection of books.

Going on to the main page for SoD, under entertainment the library has removed mention of books (without stating there are not any) - and the photos still show books on the shelves.

Most people would generally assume that if it is called a library and the photos show books, it will be a library containing books.

I also find it extremely curious that the main entertainment page refers to "The Library .. located at the top of the ship’s atrium, ..."

Deck 7 (which is where the library was when I was on board) is hardly the top of anything, let alone the atrium - so maybe the books have gone to the Brittania Lounge, or even the gym, without telling anyone?

Saga do so many things right, it is so frustrating when they make such stupid mistakes.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

Going on to the main page for SoD, under entertainment the library has removed mention of books (without stating there are not any) - and the photos still show books on the shelves.

Most people would generally assume that if it is called a library and the photos show books, it will be a library containing books.

I was looking at the Adriatic cruise on the SofD which takes place at Easter 2024, and at the very bottom of the page online there is a section entitled "At Sea". Scrolling through the pictures and information there, number 4 of 7 refers to the library, as follows:

w_shp_spirit_of_discovery_int_13922.jpg

The Library

A booklover’s paradise combined with an artisanal coffee-shop, it's the perfect spot to research your next port of call.

Please, Saga, either change your descriptions or put the books back (preferably the latter).

The top of the Atrium is actually in the centre of this picture, at the back. 

• Like 4

Library

E deck - Deck 7

A cosy coffee shop, the library boasts a fantastic selection of fiction and reference books.

Craft Room

E deck - Deck 7

Adjoining the library, enjoy craft classes and workshops on every cruise.

Card Room

E deck -  Deck 7

Essential for any bridge player, but also the venue for whist and crib.

A copy of the description of the facilities on E Deck,  pasted straight from the Saga web site. According to website library should still exist and be full of books

On 12/18/2022 at 3:42 PM, Kohima said:

To be pedantic, bibliotheke is Ancient Greek for ‘room of books’, nothing to do with technology..

Similarly the word library (from Latin) is inextricably linked with books. The vast majority of people, whether satisfied Saga customers or not, would expect to find books in an area described as a library. The availability of games and jigsaws in this area, as well as playing cards in others, completely negates the argument of avoidance of virus transmission by touch.
Saga used to boast in brochures that they had, arguably, the best libraries at sea. This was certainly true on the old ships, where they were very well used by many passengers for both borrowing and browsing from an excellent selection of books of all types.
Why would Saga not wish to offer as wide a variety of amenities onboard as possible, rather than reduce them?

Email Nigel Blanks and ask him ! 

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 1:46 PM, twotravellersLondon said:

Having books in the library is important, especially for students who want to write essays. But if there is no time, then the site http://essaypapers.reviews/ will definitely help you with your homework. Excellent service, I advise.

I'm sure you won't regret it. My parents enjoyed Saga cruise, the impressions are only positive.

Edited by danielscott
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Kohima said:

Sorry, LandC, there doesnt seem to be a definitive answer other than “We are working on March”.

Oh dear! That’s very late. We were hoping to hear something this month.

• 1 month later...

While we await pictures of the Library with the books restored, here is a reminder of what it used to be like:

image.thumb.jpeg.8ef5fe9029883c4cec9195a899716c36.jpeg

My only complaint in the past was that the bookcases didn't indicate the category of books each contained, such as fiction, biography, theoretical physics, and so on (not too many of the latter, I suspect). Nor was there a plan on display to show where to find books of a particular genre, so it was a matter of wandering around until one stumbled across one's area of interest. It would be nice if that could be made a bit easier, but, in any case, it is absolutely splendid news that the Library will be back in action. At last!

• Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 5:22 PM, Kohima said:

Good news! The word is that books are coming back to the library on 28th February (Adventure) and 5th March (Discovery).

This was announced by the Cruise Director on my recent Colours if the Canaries cruise on SoD. He stated that a new supplier had been contracted.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone of Discovery at the moment ?  What news about books in the library?  

My wife is an avid reader - a book a day at least, so it would be good to know how many she needs to bring!   And yes she has a Kindle but says that there's nothing like a "proper" book.....

We are joining on April 9th - see you there!

3 hours ago, Brissle said:

Anyone of Discovery at the moment ?  What news about books in the library?  

My wife is an avid reader - a book a day at least, so it would be good to know how many she needs to bring!   And yes she has a Kindle but says that there's nothing like a "proper" book.....

We are joining on April 9th - see you there!

I totally agree about nothing being like a proper book.

I’m lucky our village has a mobile library. So once a month I can enjoy picking up books I’ve ordered and meeting other book lovers.