Debarkation after International cruise

SusieQ501

I am trying to coordinate a flight after a cruise traveling from Iceland to New York City.  The agent has told me that we won't be able to leave the ship in the morning due to customs, etc.  Not to book a flight out until after 2pm.  Is it typical for US Customs to take this long to process the ship's passengers?  The ship is due into port at 5am.  

17 minutes ago, SusieQ501 said:

I am trying to coordinate a flight after a cruise traveling from Iceland to New York City.  The agent has told me that we won't be able to leave the ship in the morning due to customs, etc.  Not to book a flight out until after 2pm.  Is it typical for US Customs to take this long to process the ship's passengers?  The ship is due into port at 5am.  

I have never arrived in NYC, so don't know what happens there, but have never had that long in Miami, NOLA, etc.  You must vacate your room usually by 8 and the ship a bit later than that.  Your TA is probably erring on the side of caution just to make sure you have time to get to the airport 2 to 3 hrs before your flight.  What you do depends on how long it takes to get from the ship to the chosen airport and what the lines are at airport check-in and security.  It would probably not be pprudent to plan on being able to get off the ship before 7 am though.  Just my thoughts, I am not an expert.  Hopefully someone with NYC experience will chime in soon

3 hours ago, SusieQ501 said:

In our experience of docking in NYC, not even being a turn-around port, they are the slowest to clear the ship.

Last time was our 2015 WC and it took them well over 5 hrs to clear all pax.

Your other consideration is that the ETA is an estimate and while they definitely endeavour to make TAR day ETA's, as it is a busy day, the weather can significantly impact your arrival. Then factor in NY traffic and queues at the airport.

Personally, if I'm booking my own flights, I wouldn't book anything on arrival day, we would stay over and fly the next day. Even a 14:00 flight could be tight.

• Like 1

On your Viking invoice (not an invoice from the TA, if you are using one) it will tell you the earliest time that you may book your return flight.  You will find it right below the day by day itinerary.  It will look something like this -- but it will have different details:

image.png.8f3b1a8adcd0c2eada0593c42a287d90.png

On our last cruise, we were asked to vacate our staterooms by 7 am. This was last December/January when the Covid protocols were still in place. Since this is a turn around port, Viking would like to clear the ship of all pax by 10am -- earlier if they can manage it -- to make way for the boarding passengers.

15 hours ago, SusieQ501 said:

"After a cruise traveling from Iceland to New York City" is confusing.  Are you getting off the cruise in Iceland and flying to NYC OR are you on a cruise from Iceland to New York and disembarking the ship to fly from NYC?

2 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

"After a cruise traveling from Iceland to New York City" is confusing.  Are you getting off the cruise in Iceland and flying to NYC OR are you on a cruise from Iceland to New York and disembarking the ship to fly from NYC?

OP is disembarking in NYC.

• Thanks 1

Just my 2 cents.

I have probably taken over a dozen cruises that disembark in NYC.  Getting off the boat and thru customs is a breeze.  No different than any other port.

Since you are flying home, you need to add transit time to the airport. Mid-week and weekend traffic in NYC are very different.  It might help if you are not checking luggage, but I would confidently say a flight after noon is doable.

We have cleared customs on TA's in a couple ways - Barcelona to Miami, we stopped at San Juan so Immigration officers came on board and we had to clear before going ashore (took about 2 hours).  Also landed at Tampa with no US stop - immigration took about an hour wait even though we walked off with our luggage quite early.