Most adventurous activity for teens?

jbrinkm

My teens are 16 and 13 years old and love adventure-adrenaline activities. What is the most adventurous, half-day excursion on Cozumel that allows teens as young as 13 to participate? Just the inflatables in the water? Or on the back of an ATV (16y.o.will NOT have a driver's license before this cruise)? Any other suggestions?

6 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

There are several at Chankanaab Park.  Lots of other things there.

Mr Sanchos and Paradise Beach have water toys.

You might also look into an off shore snorkel excursion.

Yes I know there are one or two places available ( Chank, Islands, possibly old Buccanos) but I don’t think Cozumel is renowned for zip lines and seemed a strange suggestion from a local. 

I thought perhaps there was somewhere new.

I think we're going to do the zip line in Roatan, so I'm sure they'd love it but we probably won't do it twice during the same cruise. They did the inflatables at Paradise Beach last year, and that is our backup plan again if we don't find a better alternative, but would still love some more suggestions for things we might not have realized were available. I'm intrigued by these Sea Trek mini subs recommended by @JimmyTheSaint! I was originally looking for ATVs but that seems like a bigger time commitment than we'd like and the kids aren't able to drive them by themselves anyway, so not sure how much fun it would be for them to be on the back with my husband and I driving. I know I certainly wouldn't go as fast as my 13 year old would like!

1 hour ago, JimmyTheSaint said:

Sea Trek mini submarines at the Cozumel Hotel & Resort, about 10 minutes in a taxi from the cruise terminal. Underwater scuba diving for people who can't scuba. We had someone in our party who couldn't swim but they did it and loved it.

How do you book this? I don't see it on the Hotel website so is it through a different operator? 

32 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

I think that one is “helmet dive” which seems to be different and was at Jeannie’s and Chankanaab. 

The mini-sub is on TripAdvisor but contact seems “iffy”.  I understood from reviews the noise frightens away marine life but I have no personal experience. 

@jbrinkm

Suggest contacting Hotel Cozumel (now Wyndham) to see if they have contact information if it is still available.  Islands Beach Club seems to be another beach club with activities, usually offered through Carnival but I think you can go independently. I haven’t been but I have seen jet skis or mini motor boats racing passed when I have been at Playa Azul. Otherwise perhaps water park at Playa Mia. 

Edited by c-leg5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ABQrobin said:

Do a Discover Scuba.  Of course, I am recommending this knowing that they will be hooked and you will have to get them both certified after this.  Scuba is another world exciting.

Hmm.... 

It is interesting that you mention this because I've been toying with the idea of starting the process of getting certified myself. My small hesitation has been that I have mild asthma... my doctor says that I should be ok but it still makes me nervous.

What does a Discover Scuba entail, and would I do this on the island, or on the ship?

The SeaTrek (or Helmut dive) is definitely fun and interesting and can be done at Chankanaab or Jeanies. 

I agree with trying Discover Scuba. We went to Sunset and used Sanddollar and had a great experience. 

You could also look into an ATV/buggy excursion going to Jade Caverns. We used Wild Tours and had a great time driving them and going to the caverns and you can jump into the caverns from high up. My teen loved it. 

Then there's always parasailing as well. 

You can check out my travel page for Cozumel and get some ideas and pictures of the places we went. We love Cozumel and have even done a land vacation there. COZUMEL

• Thanks 1

I'm looking at the Discover Scuba options and the ship (RCCL) has a great price with the sale right now ($83pp). Has anyone done that? I'm wondering about the ship option vs Sunset/Sandollar vs one at Chankanaab so we could hang out on the beach afterwards. 

10 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

I'm looking at the Discover Scuba options and the ship (RCCL) has a great price with the sale right now ($83pp). Has anyone done that? I'm wondering about the ship option vs Sunset/Sandollar vs one at Chankanaab so we could hang out on the beach afterwards. 

That price does sound like a good one. Do you know where they dive at? 

10 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

That price does sound like a good one. Do you know where they dive at? 

They say this:

"First-time scuba divers will enjoy an unforgettable educational diving experience. You'll receive 45 minutes of instruction from a PADI instructor before entering the water directly from the beach. Your instructor will guide you on a deep-sea exploration of fish and coral at a dive site with depths up to 25-feet, where you’ll discover “Cozumel’s Coral Reef Restoration Program" and its underwater wonders such as the bronze sculpture of Jacques Cousteau on your 30-minute scuba dive. Afterwards, trade your scuba equipment for a snorkel, or relax on the beach....The National Marine Park of Cozumel forbids the use of chemical sun protection if entering the water. Only UV protective clothing (rash guard) or biodegradable sun protection are permitted in an effort to protect our oceans."

I'm pretty sure we're not going to do the ship option. Kids want to sleep a little longer and do something else in the late morning, probably ATV park, and then do the Discover Scuba in the early afternoon. I've now posted in the Snorkel/Scuba forum and I see you've already answered my question over there, thanks!!

On 11/26/2022 at 5:04 PM, jbrinkm said:

They say this:

"First-time scuba divers will enjoy an unforgettable educational diving experience. You'll receive 45 minutes of instruction from a PADI instructor before entering the water directly from the beach. Your instructor will guide you on a deep-sea exploration of fish and coral at a dive site with depths up to 25-feet, where you’ll discover “Cozumel’s Coral Reef Restoration Program" and its underwater wonders such as the bronze sculpture of Jacques Cousteau on your 30-minute scuba dive. Afterwards, trade your scuba equipment for a snorkel, or relax on the beach....The National Marine Park of Cozumel forbids the use of chemical sun protection if entering the water. Only UV protective clothing (rash guard) or biodegradable sun protection are permitted in an effort to protect our oceans."

I'm pretty sure we're not going to do the ship option. Kids want to sleep a little longer and do something else in the late morning, probably ATV park, and then do the Discover Scuba in the early afternoon. I've now posted in the Snorkel/Scuba forum and I see you've already answered my question over there, thanks!!

OK, your description of where they dive tells me exactly where it's at and it's at Sunset where we dove with Sandollar (we booked directly with Sandollar). 

Check out THIS for pictures of our dive

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

OK, your description of where they dive tells me exactly where it's at and it's at Sunset where we dove with Sandollar (we booked directly with Sandollar). 

Check out THIS for pictures of our dive

I was wondering about Sunset when it mentioned reef restoration program. But do they actually have bronze sculptures! I thought those were at Chankanaab, which also has reef balls i believe?

We haven’t actually snorkeled there but we called in to Sunset for a drink and snack recently (after your visit). We weren’t very impressed. It was busy with cruise ship excursions but (a special peeve of mine) the lady at the next table insisted on sharing her personal music via Bluetooth speakers drowning out the piped music. If people want personal music they should use ear phones. If we go again we will stay in the upstairs area but it will take some persuading to get my husband there again.

Water experience may be good but can’t recommend the lower bar.

3 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I was wondering about Sunset when it mentioned reef restoration program. But do they actually have bronze sculptures! I thought those were at Chankanaab, which also has reef balls i believe?

We haven’t actually snorkeled there but we called in to Sunset for a drink and snack recently (after your visit). We weren’t very impressed. It was busy with cruise ship excursions but (a special peeve of mine) the lady at the next table insisted on sharing her personal music via Bluetooth speakers drowning out the piped music. If people want personal music they should use ear phones. If we go again we will stay in the upstairs area but it will take some persuading to get my husband there again.

Hmmm... I was thinking about going there for the 1pm Discover Scuba, grabbing some lunch at the restaurant beforehand after our morning activity, but I really don't want to be dealing with a bunch of people on ship excursions, especially because if it is really crowded, it might take more time. Although there are only 4 ships in port the day we'll be there. I  just looked at reviews on Tr1pAdvsr (can I say that name?) and it seems like a LOT of people end up here from different cruise lines. When we snorkeled from the Cabanas last year, I wonder if part of the reason there were so many fish is because the place was so empty that day...

On 11/27/2022 at 7:25 PM, c-leg5 said:

I only know its Sunset because the description said "bronze sculpture of Jacques Cousteau " and that's where his head sculpture is located. 

662607158_P4102429copy.webp.75b5cdd3377f638134b5d8cadc163e16.webp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/24/2022 at 4:59 AM, ABQrobin said:

Do a Discover Scuba.  Of course, I am recommending this knowing that they will be hooked and you will have to get them both certified after this.  Scuba is another world exciting.

I agree discover scuba is great. We’ve done it 3 times (2x Hawaii and 1x grand cayman) 

• 3 weeks later...

We decided to do an ATV/Paintball excursion in the morning and then try a Discover Scuba in the afternoon. The ATV/Paintball outing is at Ecoparque Cuzam which ALSO has a zip line that gets great reviews. We're doing zip line in Roatan, as I said, so we're not going to do it here. Decided on Cozumel Dive Academy for our Discover Scuba - great reviews and a 9 minute walk from the International Cruise Port where we'll be docked.

• Like 1