Beyond creaking and knocking and slamming oh my!

RobertoF

Currently on the Beyond deck 10 in a Magic Carpet Suite. We have been on over 30 cruises and I have never had a worst nights sleep than I did last night. The banging, loud popping and noise coming from appeared to be the ceiling was insane! If this continues we will be canceling our April cruise on the Beyond. After breakfast, I will let customer service know. 

2 hours ago, spammie said:

Currently on the Beyond deck 10 in a Magic Carpet Suite. We have been on over 30 cruises and I have never had a worst nights sleep than I did last night. The banging, loud popping and noise coming from appeared to be the ceiling was insane! If this continues we will be canceling our April cruise on the Beyond. After breakfast, I will let customer service know. 

Welcome to the Beyond! The TA was noisy. Two couples on my hallway moved to a lower deck. It’s known for noise issues. Sorry. 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 8:39 PM, helen haywood said:

Have you read the whole thread?  Specifically the post #101?  Posting this video…

For all those unbelievers out there, try sleeping at night with these sorts of noises.  Most people cannot and these are abnormal noises as I have been on many cruises and NEVER heard anything like this!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dadofjessie said:

For all those unbelievers out there, try sleeping at night with these sorts of noises.  Most people cannot and these are abnormal noises as I have been on many cruises and NEVER heard anything like this!

I agree 100%. I spent 18 months in Afghanistan and can sleep through rocket attacks. The noises on Beyond would make a normal person crazy. Alas I am not normal and came fully prepared. Sent videos to my brother who said the noises would make him insane! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spammie said:

You should go to the Retreat Lounge and complain to the Retreat Manager there. They will first offer a room nearby that you can use for sleep (if the ship is not fully booked). But don't stop there. Keep complaining until they offer you at least some future cruise credits

• Like 1

UPDATE - we moved last night. Same deck but opposite side of the ship. They moved us from our Magic Carpet Suite to a S1 Sky Suite. Packing up and moving last night at 11pm was not fun but the new suite is lovely. We stayed in a S1 on Edge. 

• Like 3

On 11/15/2023 at 6:13 AM, spammie said:

Would really be helpful if all that experience noise in their stateroom note it on the Stateroom Sticky for E-Class ships at the top of the Forum.   It may help other with cabin selection.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Would really be helpful if all that experience noise in their stateroom note it on the Stateroom Sticky for E-Class ships at the top of the Forum.   It may help other with cabin selection.

It changes almost every sailing so it won’t help much….

Personally, I believe the problem is with the cabins with windows and the materials used in the construction of the ship. The materials used in the walls everywhere are static and have no give and  when the weather is a little rough the noises are evident. It's the same in the hallways. They used to use more natural materials than they do now.

• Like 1

Following advice earlier in this discussion thread we changed stateroom pre cruise to one opposite an interior stateroom. On last years Beyond transatlantic Westbound we had suffered the banging walls and creaking windows and used earplugs every night in the Atlantic - did not need them in the Med.

We just finished this seasons transatlantic on Beyond and no noise at all! The advice to book opposite an interior stateroom was good advice - there must be more rigidity or something. Others we met were suffering sleepless nights and were not impressed by Guest Relations advice to use earplugs

4 minutes ago, blueslily said:

Are these noises also heard in the Sunset Verandas? I will be in my first sunset and I'm a but concerned. 

Really simple.  If calm or moderate seas then few to no creaking noises. If rough then creaking and banging from rough seas.

Noises fore and aft tend to be slightly louder if (and only if) it is very rough.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Really simple.  If calm or moderate seas then few to no creaking noises. If rough then creaking and banging from rough seas.

Noises fore and aft tend to be slightly louder if (and only if) it is very rough.

Just curious, are you speaking from experience?  We are scheduled on the Beyond in January and as bad as it has been described, I am very concerned.

42 minutes ago, island visitor said:

Just curious, are you speaking from experience?  We are scheduled on the Beyond in January and as bad as it has been described, I am very concerned.

I am on Beyond now 11124.  Hardly slept last night. Tonight is calmer but creaking and banging noise is just as bad.  Will go to guest services tomorrow and hopefully something can be done.  This is a beautiful ship with beautiful venues but the noise is really bad.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, molly2kit said:

I am on Beyond now 11124.  Hardly slept last night. Tonight is calmer but creaking and banging noise is just as bad.  Will go to guest services tomorrow and hopefully something can be done.  This is a beautiful ship with beautiful venues but the noise is really bad.

I am so sorry to hear this.  Hope you can get some satisfaction at guest services.

11 hours ago, molly2kit said:

Sorry to hear about your experience. What type of cabin are you staying in? 

With so many people going to Guest Services, I wonder what solution they can offer everyone.

Unfortunate to hear about such a beautiful ship. I'm just hoping the issue was remedied with the Ascent. Is this an issue with other E class ships also? I'm mainly just seeing posts about thr Beyond. 

1 hour ago, blueslily said:

With so many people going to Guest Services, I wonder what solution they can offer everyone.

Unfortunate to hear about such a beautiful ship. I'm just hoping the issue was remedied with the Ascent. Is this an issue with other E class ships also? I'm mainly just seeing posts about thr Beyond. 

We have sailed on the Edge, and the Apex in suites, and Aqua class and regular infinite veranda, and never had these issues until this cruise. Seriously considering cancelling our April sailing on Beyond.

Edited by spammie

2 hours ago, blueslily said:

I was on Edge and didn’t have any noise issues. Been on Beyond 3 times and 2 times had rough weather/noise issues. The noise changed from room to room each sailing. I’m pretty sure they are well aware of the issue by now based on all the complaints I’ve heard across my sailings. Last trip they couldn’t move people as ship was full (no more suites to move them to although other people got different non suite rooms as well).

One thing to note, never heard too many complaints from people in inside rooms. My noise was definitely from the infinite veranda. 

1 hour ago, spammie said:

We have sailed on the Edge, and the Apex in suites, and Aqua class and regular infinite veranda, and never had these issues until this cruise. Seriously considering cancelling our April sailing on Beyond.

I've also only sailed on Edge and Apex and will be boarding Edge for a month next week.  No problems with sound at all.

I did have a sound issue in a Royal Suite on Silhouette last year.   We were in a big storm at about 3 in the morning I heard huge banging every 30 seconds or so.   Around 6 I called our butler who sent up a maintenance man.     A bolt securing the divider between cabins came undone causing the tow sections to slam into each other.  Luckily it only took 5 minutes to fix.   

If it sounds like that I can understand how difficult it would be to sleep.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, spammie said:

UPDATE - we moved last night. Same deck but opposite side of the ship. They moved us from our Magic Carpet Suite to a S1 Sky Suite. Packing up and moving last night at 11pm was not fun but the new suite is lovely. We stayed in a S1 on Edge. 

great news.. we would not book on Magic Carpet side for other reasons but seems the noise issue is luck of the draw.  

We had no issue on EDGE for 2 cruises..IV and SV,  or on  BEYOND in an S1.. A bit nervous about our bookings on ASCENT and APEX.. After those we may skip XL and stick with S Class.

SLEEP WELL!

• Like 1

Moving is a pain but worth it for relief.

On an M Class ship..yrs ago we had a primo hump cabin on the slant..  Big time Noise & Vibration!

As we unpacked the dj started on the pool deck above..unbearabke noise and  the cabin shook.  We immediately called down.  They sent 2 people who confirmed it was really unbearable.and would be everytime there was music or dancing above.We were  moved quickly forward  ..we could see the bridge.

Glad we did not hesitate..Quietest cabin ever!  We were lucky

b/ c  not many options available! 

if anyone draws a BAD NOISE CABIN..suggest you act imnediately!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Wow.. never sailed Beyond and not sure I will after reading these stories.   Is it concentrated in a specific area e.g. mid-ship?

So far I’ve had a friend in 6150 with a noisy room who was moved on one cruise (bad weather & notorious “popping” noises from infinite veranda). I was in 12276 which had the notorious “popping” noises on the TA that I just got off. Have been in rooms 10242 and 11194 and very little noise but different weather. My brother was also FWD on Deck 6 and had no issues. From what I’ve heard it just depends on the voyage/weather as to which rooms will get the brunt of the noise that trip. Was also in 10133 and very little noise but calm weather…

Edited by Gromit4
Added info