Carnival attire on non formal night

mom2eli

OKay - from reading these boards, I have definetly figured out jeans are a non no . What do they exactly mean buy resort casual? Would I be okay in capri's???

Yes, your capri's would be perfect! For men, a pair of dockers and a golf shirt would be just fine as well.

OKay - from reading these boards, I have definetly figured out jeans are a non no . What do they exactly mean buy resort casual? Would I be okay in capri's???

I wouldn't worry we even saw jeans on formal nights. Just no tank tops or shorts. They are real accomodating if it doesn't say you can't you can

I am definately having a problem with this. My DS is 15 and wears nothing but jeans, the slopply kind. We have told him that he needs to find some pants other than jeans to wear on casual night in the dining room. I hate the idea of spending money on pants that he will never wear, but I also don't want him looking the way he does in his jeans. If he wore jeans that actually fit, I might reconsider. So, are we as parents being too strict on the no jeans thing or should we let him wear them one or two times and still purchase pants that he will never wear again. This is his vacation also, but I don't want to not dress the norm. Thanks!

Without starting the same ole argument that has been repeated adnauseum, just remember that sometimes, just because it is not "restricted" does not mean it is acceptable.

No Carnival will not refuse to serve you if you show up in jeans. But you are announcing to the world that you don't know any better.

Capris, crops, golf shirts, khakis, anything that you would wear as "business casual" is "in good taste" on non-formal nights.

Personally, I don't care what someone has one...as long as they are clothed. But the vast majority seem to, so if you want to play (eat in the formal dining room, then you have to pay (by dressing in good taste).

I think the reason people get so hung up on jeans is because they can be so expensive. There isn't a pair of jeans in my closet less than $75.00. Those are the cheapest ones I have. And it does not seem fair that "Dosedo" (completely made up name ) can arrive swauved in a polyester outfit that was $19.99 tops...and I am looked down on for wearing my $75.00 jeans. But this is the world we live in..so be it. I am more than happy to comply if it makes your cruising experience better. A small price to pay in my book.

I hate the idea of spending money on pants that he will never wear, but I also don't want him looking the way he does in his jeans.

The money thing could be addressed by looking at thrift stores, etc.

But I bet the harder challenge will be his attitude about it all.

I am definately having a problem with this. My DS is 15 and wears nothing but jeans, the slopply kind. We have told him that he needs to find some pants other than jeans to wear on casual night in the dining room. I hate the idea of spending money on pants that he will never wear, but I also don't want him looking the way he does in his jeans. If he wore jeans that actually fit, I might reconsider. So, are we as parents being too strict on the no jeans thing or should we let him wear them one or two times and still purchase pants that he will never wear again. This is his vacation also, but I don't want to not dress the norm. Thanks!

I recommend buying him 1 pair of khakis (on sale) and having him wear them every non-formal night. I've done the same with my DDs.

Since you said his jeans don't fit, I imagine they're hanging really low and I agree with you. I recommend buying him 1 pair of khakis (on sale) and having him wear them every non-formal night. I've done the same with my DDs. Tell him it's just part of going on a cruise which he is lucky to be doing.

Here's a tip though, the first night you can get away without conforming because not all the luggage has been delivered. ;)

I would not want my kids looking sloppy in the Dining Room either!!

Perhaps you can purchase him 2 inexpensive pairs of pants. He can change after dinner. You can usually find some real bargains at stores such as Marshall's and WalMart. Since he is 15 it is possible that he will have to attend some events at school at some point where he made need them. You could also book another cruise soon so he can wear them again :D

Well, since you are the parent, you have a couple of options here. You can go get him a nice pair of khakis or black cotton pants at Target or whatever for about $20. He can wear the same pair over and over with a different shirt. OR He can wear his jeans and go eat at the buffet.

He may never wear the khaki's/black pants to school, for instance...but what about nice family functions, a Holiday gathering, wedding, graduation party...job interview?? Then his 'coolness' doesn't have to be threatened!! ;) :cool:

Your question is different than most, and I sympathize with you as I have a 17 year old. At least I can get mine in a suit, but his other pants, weather they be kakhais or the j word are those gosh awful hang on your rear end things.

I think they look terrible and usually can get him in a pair of dockers or something like that most of the time when we really need to look a bit better.

My suggestion is try to get him to agree to a better fitting pant for the "casual" evenings and get him to really dress on the formal nights. I can always get mine to wear some better pants if I make the trip to American Eagle or Hollister (at least they fit better).

Good luck!

I think the reason people get so hung up on jeans is because they can be so expensive. There isn't a pair of jeans in my closet less than $75.00. Those are the cheapest ones I have. And it does not seem fair that "Dosedo" (completely made up name ) can arrive swauved in a polyester outfit that was $19.99 tops...and I am looked down on for wearing my $75.00 jeans. But this is the world we live in..so be it. I am more than happy to comply if it makes your cruising experience better. A small price to pay in my book.

I am not sure that price is a factor though. I think that if someone does not want to spend a lot on an outfit, but still wants to look nice, then it does not matter how much their outfit costs. They are still making an effort and that might be all they can spend on an outfit they may never wear again.

Well, since you are the parent, you have a couple of options here. You can go get him a nice pair of khakis or black cotton pants at Target or whatever for about $20. He can wear the same pair over and over with a different shirt. OR He can wear his jeans and go eat at the buffet.

He may never wear the khaki's/black pants to school, for instance...but what about nice family functions, a Holiday gathering, wedding, graduation party...job interview?? Then his 'coolness' doesn't have to be threatened!! ;) :cool:

Eating at the buffet may be his goal but that may not be the family goal. But, Carnival has stated as we have all seen in a number of threads that on casual nights jeans are acceptable in the dining room.

JEANS are acceptable on non formal nights and have been seen and allowed on formal nights. It is not necessarily right but it is within the posted rules. Just no shorts or tank tops in the dining room except at lunch.

I might consider myself a little strict, but i insisted that my 5 kids dress nicely for dinner every night on our cruises, NO exceptions. But that is just me......the rest of the cruise they wore what they wanted.

Eating at the buffet may be his goal but that may not be the family goal.

Yep, I understand that, that is why I said:

Well, since you are the parent, you have a couple of options here.
MD was concerned about their son's appearance and whether they were being too strict....That is their call on what they are going to require of him, what they want the family goal to be. THEY are the parents, they should set the rules as to what is appropriate. DH and I set the rules for our family. Sometimes your kids don't like things. But as parents, it's either a negotiable subject or it's not. The parent's options are - have a nice family meal together with the way that make mom and dad happy, cuz they feel 'appropriate' and 'comfortable'. OR Opt for no family dinners together, letting junior wear his jeans and eat out on Lido. It is their call.

should we let him wear them one or two times and still purchase pants that he will never wear again. !

Do you think he is fully grown? because at 18 he would need a pair of nice pants for job interviews etc. As for me, My sons if I had any the choice is clear, Wear the freaking nice pants or stay at home.:)

On our last two Carnival cruises, everyone seemed to dress nicely on both formal and non-formal nights. I really didn't notice anyone wearing jeans in the dining rooms.

I was a bit suprised, since I thought that Carnival would be much more laid back and informal!! However, it just seemed that everyone enjoyed the beautiful ship and atmosphere and wanted to dress the part.

I think your son will be fine in a pair of khakis. The teens who "were forced" to dress seemed to be fine with it.

I am a teacher in a middle school. When we have dances, we have a no jeans rule. The kids balk at first, but then really like looking special. Their behavior improves as well.

Good luck with your son. Remember, you are in charge, and ultimately you are paying for this trip. The least your son can do is wear the khakis. A small price to pay for such a nice vacation!!!

Can you get him to wear a pair of the cargo-type slacks in black, maybe not quite so baggy as his norm? That will at least look a little dressier. If you can then get him into a dark shirt and tie also, you've got it made. Or even just a non-tee shirt. I found something similar last year for my 14-year-old grandson for a cruise, expected a battle, but he actually wore them and didn't complain. Look for sales or at discount stores. The ones I got for my grandson cost about 12 bucks!

Archived