Death by a thousand cuts

Tom-n-Cheryl

5 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

I'm thinking about a last minute Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Reflection in February, so if you have more thoughts about the ship I'm happy to read the posts!  Thanks, Tom!

Happy to continue with feedback/thoughts.  🙂

Tom

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, calicakes said:

We sailed in Feb on O.  It was awesome. 

Next year we have a b2 b on NCL ( not a favourite of ours) simply for some winter sunshine, in September we have a b2b on Celebrity our usual brand and in between these two for the first time an Oceania cruise in June! Really looking forward to trying them.

19 minutes ago, di T said:

first time an Oceania cruise in June! Really looking forward to trying them.

Where are you going?  We did a Caribbean cruise and there were only 338 ppl onboard.  I did a live blog for that cruise.  We'll be back on O in September for Bermuda Bliss. 

On 11/23/2022 at 6:12 AM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I don't want to run down and bring these things up as they occur, but once our cruises are complete, I'll get it all together (hopefully not adding anything else). Though, I'd imagine that most people either don't notice the changes, or don't care. That won't stop me from speaking up!

Tom

As others have said, best to address any problems or disappointments directly with the senior person responsible for that area while on board.

They will be much more receptive and likely to address the concern for you than anyone shoreside.

Obviously nobody will make an alteration for the better on your cruise if you don't communicate until the cruise has finished.

Edited by Baynanno1
  • Like 2

On 11/22/2022 at 2:12 PM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

but once our cruises are complete, I'll get it all together (hopefully not adding anything else).

Too late-- If you have a complaint about anything-- don't wait---- do it while on board, and only to the person that can help you ( Hotel Manager ).

Otherwise, you will receive the standard form letter ---"Sorry for the inconvenience blah, blah blah "--- Meaning : It will go nowhere.

( I'm not speaking from experience from any cruise we have taken -- just know how the Service Industry works)

Edited by Pinboy
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Too late-- If you have a complaint about anything-- don't wait---- do it while on board, and only to the person that can help you ( Hotel Manager ).

Otherwise, you will receive the standard form letter ---"Sorry for the inconvenience blah, blah blah "--- Meaning : It will go nowhere.

That's the lesson we learned!!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Whinenowine said:

Wow...this is why keeping old emails is both dangerous and depressing!  🥲

Even for 2008 those were good prices. But now, an off vintage bottle is $600-700, and the good stuff is pushing $1000.  I've lost track of how many wines I've been priced out of over the last 5 years.  On cruises I've resorted to BYOB'ing 3-4 bottles on board for our nicer. meals.

I'm thinking about a last minute Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Reflection in February, so if you have more thoughts about the ship I'm happy to read the posts!  Thanks, Tom!

I guess I've just not had a meal on a cruise ship so great that I'd deal with carrying one of my really good wines. Certainly not a truly special Bordeaux or Barbaresco or California Cab/Bordeaux blend. I'd be worried about bottle shocking it on the trip, or the sommelier mishandling it. Since generally speaking they aren't...

But that's me. He says planning to finally have a 2007 Gaja on my birthday this week. It's still arguably young, but I only have one bottle!

18 hours ago, calicakes said:

Where are you going?  We did a Caribbean cruise and there were only 338 ppl onboard.  I did a live blog for that cruise.  We'll be back on O in September for Bermuda Bliss. 

The Mediterranean from Barcelona, being from the Uk we cruise a lot from European ports! Been wanting to try a smaller ship and heard the food is so good! Which ship were you on? 

On 11/23/2022 at 1:08 AM, Northern Aurora said:

That is the only reason I can think of either.  Embarkation lunch in Luminae is much superior to the Concierge class embarkation event.

I love ordering the lobster roll as a salad vs sandwich and have it as an appetizer to go with the Bronzino or the Steak Frites.   Great way to start a cruise IMHO. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, di T said:

The Mediterranean from Barcelona, being from the Uk we cruise a lot from European ports! Been wanting to try a smaller ship and heard the food is so good! Which ship were you on? 

Marina.  it was supposed to be Sirena, but they brought Marina back from Europe.   I loved not having to show a sea pass card every time you want a soda/drink.  I loved being able to go to any restaurant.    We booked Bermuda Bliss on Insignia next September.    I would have booked a Great Barrier reef, but the itinerary wasn't available.  We're taking a Celebrity GBR cruise in Feb 2024. 

• Like 1

I understand your situation. It’s happening on all cruise lines. They are cutting costs by closing venues or restricting offerings. We were on a Windstar cruise that advertised new specialty restaurants.  Each menu was directed by a well known chef. We were eager to new menus that we saw on the web.  On the ship, with a reduced capacity,  some dining venues were closed.  The one that we really wanted to try was closed every night.  Disappointed.  While we ate well, we felt cheated. 

• Like 1

We were on the Eclipse in both July (Aqua) and August (sky suite).  We ate in main dining for lunch in July, and Luminae in August.  In July, the main dining room had 3 or 4 desserts plus ice cream.  In August, it had one.  

My favorite day was when, on the app, the chef's recommended dessert wasn't even on the menu below.

Not sure why that happened.